Author Topic: WS-2902 WiFi OSPREY (PRE) internet connection problems.  (Read 4349 times)

Offline Cat9Neb

WS-2902 WiFi OSPREY (PRE) internet connection problems.
« on: December 27, 2017, 02:26:21 PM »
New to the forum, thank you for being here. Overview: WS-2902 problem with connection from module to router, the very first step. I have not seen this issue in this forum or elsewhere on web searches except in the customer ratings for the phone app. I wanted to share what I know, what has transpired with  Ambient so far and provide some head's up for others who may be frustrated with a new Christmas present.

First step is to connect to the router. The app finds my router, I put in the password and after searching I get a "connect time out", module and app can't find the router so I can't proceed.  Here are answers to some questions I know will be coming. Router is a Linksys WRT3200WCM dual-band. Yes I have turned off the 5Ghz band. No the router software doesn't show the module as available to link to. MAC filtering is OFF (thanks to others on forum for this advice). Yes my phone is connected to the router and shows only the 2.4Ghz as available.

Phone is a Galaxy S7. App picks up the router, correct name, automatically so I know its talking with router but not module. I've gone into phone and router to check and toggle settings off and no, nothing.

Back to the 1st paragraph where I mention the app ratings. Reading the ratings shows most connect ok but there are some people showing the same problem I am having, they give up and send station back. So I am assuming its not an isolated issue, not me. (I'm a bit more slow to give up I guess.)

Anyway, after 2 days and no holidays I call Ambient. Very helpful. The company says they are having problems with Galaxy phones and Linksys router combinations. Tech said they are working on firmware solutions but really don't know what is causing. I'm assuming they don't know what combination of phone and router since there are many, nor is it the phone or the router?

Ambient offered a work around, 2 additional pieces of hardware connected to the router and they will connect to the module so I can get the info to the web. I need to get to that since we will be using the information for managing our farm (spraying/wind and irrigation/rain).

That's all I know. If anyone here has figured it out that would be fantastic. If anyone who is about to send their Osprey back because of this issue I suggest you call Ambient tech support. Sounds like they would like to hear about other phone/router combinations so they can fix the problem long term.

Offline enzoweb

• WS-2902 Osprey
Re: WS-2902 WiFi OSPREY (PRE) internet connection problems.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 04:01:46 PM »
I'm having exactly the same problem - a Google Pixel2 and an ASUS RT-AC88U router.

What were the other bits of hardware you need? Have you got it working?

Thanks.
WS-2902 Osprey

Offline enzoweb

• WS-2902 Osprey
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 04:12:51 PM »
I just tried my wife's Iphone - it didn't show up in the phone app, but I did see a new device appear in my connected devices called ESP_261E7. Used this MAC address and entered it into Ambientweather.net and it said "looks good". Now waiting for data to appear, so not sure if it just liked the fact that it was a valid MAC address or if it actually knows it's the station.
WS-2902 Osprey

Offline enzoweb

• WS-2902 Osprey
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 04:13:31 PM »
Yes, now the data is there. Success - maybe try someone else's phone.
WS-2902 Osprey

Offline Cat9Neb

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 10:29:26 AM »
I'm having exactly the same problem - a Google Pixel2 and an ASUS RT-AC88U router.
What were the other bits of hardware you need? Have you got it working?

I have not recieved these yet so don't know if they will work. I'll update this post when I get them.
This is what Ambient suggested:
1. ObserverIP Module:
https://www.ambientweather.com/amobserverip.html

2. Indoor Thermo-Hygrometer-Barometer:
https://www.ambientweather.com/amws1000bth.html

With these two devices, it will also receive data from the Osprey sensor array. This allows you to bypass your wireless router completely.
You would choose "WS-1600-IP" as the weather station type. (These last 2 sentences are from Ambient)

I suggest you call and talk with tech support.

Offline Cat9Neb

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 10:32:34 AM »
(From:I just tried my wife's Iphone - it didn't show up in the phone app, but I did see a new device appear in my connected devices called ESP_261E7. Used this MAC address and entered it into Ambientweather.net and it said "looks good". Now waiting for data to appear, so not sure if it just liked the fact that it was a valid MAC address or if it actually knows it's the station.)

Thanks for the note. Tech support said they don't have issues with Iphones. Asked if I had an Iphone or another available. I don't.  But that is one solution I should have noted in originial post. Thank you.

Offline andyk1

• Contributor
    • Nicoma Park Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 09:47:37 PM »
I think everyone almost always... the first time has trouble connecting. I had an android 7.1.2 and trying it on an android 6.0.something and it worked. Also follow the separation thing 10' as stated in the instruction manual. reboot router, phone and cycle ws-2902 console on and off sometimes helps. Ambient knows about this and are working on a fix soon I was told.

Offline Zepguy

• WeatherCloud
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 12:28:28 AM »
New to the forum and wanted to say thanks for this topic, it helped me out today. I have a Samsung S6 and a TP-Link Archer C9 router and tried for over an hour to get connected. After reading this post I realized I had an old HTC phone from about 3-4 years ago that I could try. I plugged it in, downloaded the app and it connected first try. After it was connected I was able to put the old phone away and use my S6 to update the firmware, etc.

Thanks again!

Offline ranchonodinerro

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 08:46:16 AM »
Same problem-could not configure with the app on two different Samsung devices.  Switched to an Apple iPad and was able to configure the device and upgrade the firmware.  Now my Samsung devices can access the device once it has been configured.  KTXALEDO33.

anything