Author Topic: Magnitude 5.7 Earthquake recorded in my country (8:20 UTC)  (Read 2438 times)

Offline pimohdaimaoh

• Forecaster
  • "Be aware to our nature"
    • PIMOHWEATHER
Magnitude 5.7 Earthquake recorded in my country (8:20 UTC)
« on: March 05, 2017, 10:51:11 PM »
After my on going test on my weather site for the past 2 weeks now, my page section of Earthquake recordings are so active, recoded more than 200 quakes now and including last night 12:08 am on our local time, a magnitude 5.7 hit in Surigao City after New Britain Region in Papua was hit at 22:47 UTC, makes hit our local news damaging City government Hall, 21 injuries and one dead causing that quake. so far my PERSONAL Seismometer is still not installed, because I cant decide the azimuth location of my seismometer due to a critical calculations, our home located SSE while the perfect azimuth location should be at North West, but maybe Ill decide to install at west and adjusting my helicorder's S.V increments when calculating incoming quakes. After I reactivate my seismogram anytime soonest, maybe Im the first one here in WX realtime user/member who had own HOME Seismometer installed and operational, to see my real seismometer in action just like our personal weather stations installed in our homes.

Im currently monitoring those areas, because the SURIGAO platonic plates we feel are still moving under 27 KM earth crust. You can check the specifications and image of my seismometer how it look

http://pimohdaimaoh.simplesite.com/

http://pimohweather.webutu.com/wxquake.php
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 11:04:03 PM by pimohdaimaoh »

Offline ClaireAnderson

• Best free weather app for iPhone & iPad
Re: Magnitude 5.7 Earthquake recorded in my country (8:20 UTC)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 05:20:24 AM »
Earthquake attacks are becoming more frequent these days. There is an earthquake news on the television on daily basis. Earthquakes do not only cause destruction but they also invite tsunami and more disasters. Geologists say earthquakes of magnitude 2.5 to 3.0 are general the smallest that are felt by humans and damage is not likely in earthquakes below magnitude 4.0
Claire Anderson
http://www.weathermate.net
San Francisco, CA, USA

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 05:47:40 AM »
Earthquake attacks are becoming more frequent these days. There is an earthquake news on the television on daily basis. Earthquakes do not only cause destruction but they also invite tsunami and more disasters. Geologists say earthquakes of magnitude 2.5 to 3.0 are general the smallest that are felt by humans and damage is not likely in earthquakes below magnitude 4.0

Hi claire

from my experiences a small magnitude of 3 can be somewhat misleading to anyone outside of the range of say 5-10km , i live on a fault line and regularly see our pictures fly off the wall or see a glass water starting shaking,but anyway 4 years ago i was working in a outdoor classroom with some art students ,it was basically a large wooden classroom built to blend in with the nature , that afternoon suddenly the classroom started swaying side to side and the ground beneath us was moving like a wave . the actual tremor was something 3.1 probably 5 seconds however why it was significantly felt for us we were basically in the dead center of the epicenter . outside  probably a range of 5km no one felt it , i remember clear to this day all the local villagers panicking and screaming.

as for where I live here turkey about 200km away some 700 minor tremors were recorded last month in a week all the local residents were moved to evacuation area for 2 weeks here we only felt the larger tremors of 5 or more but only yesterday we had a 3.1  and picture frame flew of the wall. istanbul was flattened in 1999 twice.

we have a earthquake preparation bag filled with torches and batteries and tinned food and 15 x 10kilo water carriers filled as from the past the basic things like fresh water and others we need and rely on are not available .

overall I hate the feeling and often after a reasonable size tremor Im on edge for a few days ,probably experience 1 or 2 times a month..

take care brian ..

Offline pimohdaimaoh

• Forecaster
    • PIMOHWEATHER
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 09:56:24 AM »

Yeah, we cannot control our nature, so we have to be aware and always prepare for it, specially here in our place and since our country resides around the volcanoes even at the sea, that's why im desperate to have also my home Seismometer installed too
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 09:59:33 AM by pimohdaimaoh »

Offline ClaireAnderson

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 01:33:19 AM »
It is always better to prepare for earthquakes since there are always small shocks after a large earthquake. but in my country most of the houses  are constructed in a way that they can handle small earthquakes and even if the building collapse they do not do much damage.
Claire Anderson
San Francisco, CA, USA

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 01:50:42 AM »
It is always better to prepare for earthquakes since there are always small shocks after a large earthquake. but in my country most of the houses  are constructed in a way that they can handle small earthquakes and even if the building collapse they do not do much damage.

Hello

yes we also have those guidelines in constructions in place since 1999 however it doesn't compensate for the trauma that comes afterwards , its like being in a car accident your vehicle is designed to protect you in the event of an accident but it doesn't prepare you for the trauma that comes the next time you get in a car..

my wife lost everything in 1999 in 40 seconds literally, though the building didn't collapse it was the gas explosions that were more damaging and the 3 metre gaps that opened up in ground(earth) .. if your in the epicenter of a large one then I think no matter how well designed the building the shear force and magnitude can break all design theories. lets prey it never happens.

brian

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 02:32:58 AM »
9.2 quakes tend to destroy much  but it people stupidity that killed   some  because they didn't listen to the elders and  didn't get up high enough to stay out of The tsunami's paths

John

Offline ClaireAnderson

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 08:05:28 AM »
The earthquakes are taking place in most of the countries and some cites are frequently receiving earthquake shocks because they are build on the fault lines and people cannot just leave their properties and homes that easily. It is too difficult to migrate for a family and moving a whole city is just not possible at all.
Claire Anderson
San Francisco, CA, USA

Offline pimohdaimaoh

• Forecaster
    • PIMOHWEATHER
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 09:12:39 AM »
The earthquakes are taking place in most of the countries and some cites are frequently receiving earthquake shocks because they are build on the fault lines and people cannot just leave their properties and homes that easily. It is too difficult to migrate for a family and moving a whole city is just not possible at all.

Exactly, like our city are actually standing between MARIKINA Faultline which are connected accross our City, which impossible to get out because it is a main city in the philippines we call it as NCR Region. Now Im cooperating by installing my own seismometer at least I can monitor even a slight earth movements, when P wave arrives, my seismometer initally ALARMS to wake me up at night or run away fast between approc 3 min intervals before an S wave comes which is the most destructive part than P wave. right now my Seismogram is now stable and easy to view now

Offline ClaireAnderson

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 01:34:15 AM »

Exactly, like our city are actually standing between MARIKINA Faultline which are connected accross our City, which impossible to get out because it is a main city in the philippines we call it as NCR Region. Now Im cooperating by installing my own seismometer at least I can monitor even a slight earth movements, when P wave arrives, my seismometer initally ALARMS to wake me up at night or run away fast between approc 3 min intervals before an S wave comes which is the most destructive part than P wave. right now my Seismogram is now stable and easy to view now

Not only Philippine but there are also new fault lines found in Southern California and the fault lines can cause a very high magnitude earthquake. California has recently published a new report that living over the fault line is life threatening but even with the knowledge of fault lines the people have no choice but to ignore this fact. And the most worrisome part is that most of the cities are located over dangerous fault lines. It is also one of the reason that some cities receive high magnitude and frequent earthquake shocks as compared to other parts of state.
Claire Anderson
San Francisco, CA, USA

anything