Author Topic: NOAA WEATHER RADIO  (Read 30442 times)

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: NOAA WEATHER RADIO
« Reply #750 on: November 03, 2017, 05:29:13 PM »
You may remember some of my experiences when we first got BT going,... the only 'sweet spot' I found for H loops around my residence was dead center of the Garage door, about 4 feet above floor. in a volume cube about 4 feet on a side.... minimum noise.  Any other location worse. Go figure. High Tension lines north of me about 400', residence power lines behind me about 200 feet, truck axle factory over the hill about km.... No problems with E field... it's all strong magnetic components, except the one tiny horizontally polarized E glitxh that kept getting into H field --- that was eliminated only by the "Pesky Box" innovation. http://www.ourspecialnet.com/Weather/Pesky-Project/
Now, having learned to work around them, two neighbors have installed 'smart electric meters'.. one of 'em is 'on demand' control, and they drive BT crazy.
Now, none of these mess with my NOAA radios, but sure did cut down my 'effective' range and performance of both my BT stations, RED 689 and BLUE 1439.

CoCoRaHS KY-FR-1  CWOP DW5536

Blitzortung
& 1439

sferics.us

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #751 on: November 05, 2017, 09:01:57 AM »
So... Doug's adding another tool behind the scenes, for now... 'is the stream active and accesible' .. 'what's its online history for availability?   :twisted:
There will be some testing on site today, Nov 5,  (and possibly this week at times) so you might see some 'variations' in the station listings, both on the site,
and on any of the Saratoga NOAA Wx RADIO templates you run on your site,

These are situations that the monitoring utilities we've listed at http://noaaweatherradio.org/quality/monitor.html
could minimize, if you can install them and set them up.

Now, discussion is continuing on whether to make some, all, of these (see attached for  some of the others). Discussion is also continuing regarding what degree of 'automation' for quality, availability updates on the site, as we continue to 'refine', 'fine-tune' etc.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 09:05:11 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Blitzortung
& 1439

sferics.us

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #752 on: November 16, 2017, 09:07:45 AM »
Updated the 'History' section of the  "about us' page to reflect recent developments on the site...
http://noaaweatherradio.org/about/#08152017

Blitzortung
& 1439

sferics.us