Author Topic: WS-2317 communication problems and how I fixed  (Read 842 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline jrm234

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1
    • WU - Huddleston, VA
WS-2317 communication problems and how I fixed
« on: January 17, 2016, 07:29:47 PM »
I have a wired WS-2317 and experienced a lot of intermittent problems with the Thermo/Hygro not communicating with the base display.  In short, I think I fixed the problem by cleaning the printed circuit board.

Long version.
I tried:
- disconnecting all cables and taking out batteries for 1 minute, 1 hour, 1 day.
- shortening cable runs
- resets, lots of resets
- shielding cables ( didn't switch to cat5 yet, but may do that on anemometer to fix intermittent 114 mph problem)
- swearing

Eventually I would get the station working using one, or more, of the above.  In the toughest cases, I would have to bring the Thermo/Hygro into the house and let it sit for a few hours or overnight.  Sometimes it would work for a week, sometimes for an hour. 

Finished with the aggravation and about to buy a new station, I took the Thermo/Hygro apart.  It's easily done by removing 4 screws holding the shell on and 1 screw connecting the PCB.  I found a fair amount of corrosion on the board especially around the battery mounts.  Thoroughly cleaned the entire board, put it back together, and it communicated immediately with the base unit.  Rarely saw this.

It's been 3 weeks without a hint of a problem.  I think I may have fixed it.

 

anything