Author Topic: Fall 2015  (Read 10211 times)

Offline ClaireAnderson

• Best free weather app for iPhone & iPad
Re: Fall 2015
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2015, 07:26:04 AM »
Thank God the Summer is over and the Fall is right upon us!!!! That means "Winter is coming!".
Claire Anderson
http://www.weathermate.net
San Francisco, CA, USA

Online CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2015, 10:33:26 AM »
Fall is almost gone here. Leaves will be gone really soon. Maybe some snow flakes this weekend?? We'll see
Tony

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2015, 06:12:02 PM »
First hard freeze tonight. Couple weeks late but it made it.
Randy

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2015, 06:38:22 PM »
First hard freeze tonight. Couple weeks late but it made it.

What would normally be the time for the first freeze, since you said it was late

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2015, 07:11:39 PM »
First freeze is September 24-26, killer freeze 28 (-2.2C) or lower, occurs Oct 2-4 on average.
Randy

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2015, 03:53:02 AM »
It got to 95 here Thursday before a cold front arrived that evening.  At least one grass fire broke out to the county southwest of me, but it got put out without much trouble.  There was some wind, but not much.  For early Friday morning a band of rain is approaching.  It isn't expected to be strong or heavy.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2015, 05:37:33 AM »
Fall is almost gone here. Leaves will be gone really soon. Maybe some snow flakes this weekend?? We'll see
When I lived up north I always hated when the leaves dropped. Things looked so drab.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2015, 08:07:43 AM »
26 currently airport 24. So growing season has officially ended. NWS won't put freeze warnings out going forward, they only do it on the first one.
Randy

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2015, 12:30:01 PM »
Frost on the grass this morning out away from the house.  Nothing close to the house though.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2015, 01:05:52 PM »
The temperatures have risen again here,but not much, basically just got back to normal, before it was exceptionally cold. But it has been overcast and drizzeling almost nonstop the last 3-4 days. Not much precipitation in total, but the whole day is totally overcast, dull and windy. Also since it is totally overcast, the temperature difference between day and night is very small.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2015, 01:17:27 PM »
The temperatures have risen again here,but not much, basically just got back to normal, before it was exceptionally cold. But it has been overcast and drizzeling almost nonstop the last 3-4 days. Not much precipitation in total, but the whole day is totally overcast, dull and windy. Also since it is totally overcast, the temperature difference between day and night is very small.

My kind of weather  8-), Living in the desert for 45 years before coming home where any weather was welcome. I might have a different attitude in a couple years, but doubt it. I'm like a weather junkie.  And I'm sure no ones shocked at that admission.  :lol:
Randy

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2015, 02:29:16 AM »
As of early Thursday morning most of the Oklahoma panhandle has had between 1 and 2 inches of rain. Likewise with the much of the Texas panhandle.   Central Oklahoma will likely see the rain hold off until Thursday afternoon and evening.

FLASH FLOOD WATCH
Updated:   Wed Oct-21-15 10:19pm CDT
Effective:   Wed Oct-21-15 10:19pm CDT
Expires:   Fri Oct-23-15 01:00pm CDT

Severity:   Severe
Urgency:   Expected
Certainty:   Possible

Type:   Alert
Category:   Met
Areas affected: Alfalfa; Atoka; Beckham; Blaine; Bryan; Caddo; Canadian; Carter; Cleveland; Coal; Comanche; Cotton; Custer; Dewey; Ellis; Garfield; Garvin; Grady; Grant; Greer; Harmon; Harper; Hughes; Jackson; Jefferson; Johnston; Kay; Kingfisher; Kiowa; Lincoln; Logan; Love; Major; Marshall; McClain; Murray; Noble; Oklahoma; Payne; Pontotoc; Pottawatomie; Roger Mills; Seminole; Stephens; Tillman; Washita; Woods; Woodward

Instructions: Monitor weather forecasts and information. Make plans to get to higher ground if flooding happens.

Message summary: ...flash flood watch late tonight through friday afternoon...
.a large storm system will move through the southern plains tonight through friday...bringing widespread rain. Some of the rain will be locally heavy...with a risk of flash flooding. Rain will begin in the western border areas of oklahoma and adjacent parts of western north texas tonight...then spread slowly east thursday and friday.
...flash flood watch remains in effect through friday afternoon...
The flash flood watch continues for
* the western two-thirds of oklahoma and all of western north texas.
* through friday afternoon
* heavy rainfall is expected. Widespread amounts around 1 to 3 inches are likely with locally heavier amounts leading to flash flooding. The highest rain totals are expected over western and southern oklahoma...and western north texas.
* do drive through areas where water covers the roadway. Turn around...dont drown.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 02:58:36 AM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2015, 02:25:29 AM »
That rain bearing system discussed above faded away as it moved NNE, leaving me with only .21".  However,  the southern half of Oklahoma and then some enjoyed at least an inch of rain as pictured.  In some instances, much more than that.  So did much of Texas.

Locally, the weather here for the OSU homecoming walkaround Friday evening and night, which is a viewing of the sorority and fraternity house homecoming decorations, was beyond crazy good for time of year with temp. around 70, with no wind, or stormy weather threatening.  With no surprise, the crowd turnout packing the streets for it was mega huge.   OSU's homecoming weekend is regarded as one of the biggest college homecomings in the nation.

Remains of record breakingly strong Hurricane Patricia isn't expected to steer far enough north to affect my part of Oklahoma much.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 02:42:05 AM by Bunty »

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2015, 10:52:08 AM »
Lookit Navarro County TX CoCoRaHS this morning:

Powell and Corsicana reporting 2 day totals of 20.12 and 19.67  #-o

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2015, 01:22:40 PM »
Wow that is some heavy rain... Just think, it really shows how crazy weather observers are when it comes to dedication to the hobby. Whoever took those measurements most likely would have had to empty their CoCoRAHS gauge at least once "during" the storm. I suspect they got drenched doing it...
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2015, 01:23:34 PM »
Observing and logging weather is a passion :D

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2015, 05:45:56 PM »
Locally, the weather here for the OSU homecoming walkaround Friday evening and night, which is a viewing of the sorority and fraternity house homecoming decorations, was beyond crazy good for time of year with temp. around 70, with no wind, or stormy weather threatening.  With no surprise, the crowd turnout packing the streets for it was mega huge.   OSU's homecoming weekend is regarded as one of the biggest college homecomings in the nation.

Parade seems to have gone a little sour this year.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2015, 07:47:49 PM »

Parade seems to have gone a little sour this year.
A very sad day. You sometimes hear of similar such tragic incidents take place in other towns, and then one day it happens in your town. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those hurt and so far, four people killed.  Drunk driving, if that was the cause, must stop.   It looks like the graphic video showing the instant the incident happened has been removed:  http://kfor.com/2015/10/24/two-dead-and-dozens-injured-during-osu-homecoming-parade-in-stillwater/

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2015, 01:29:26 AM »
The brief, blurry video of what happened is back up, after some scrolling to find it..  The tragic incident happened in such a sudden flash instant, it would have been very hard for parade viewers to react in time to dodge the ridiculously speeding vehicle.  It will be interesting to see how the driver's blood test for alcohol content turns out, it that was, indeed, the culprit.  The driver is said to be in detox and not subject to questioning.   http://kfor.com/2015/10/24/two-dead-and-dozens-injured-during-osu-homecoming-parade-in-stillwater/
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 02:21:10 AM by Bunty »

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2015, 11:11:05 AM »
Here in Central TX we finally got some rain, but with it comes a chill, I've whined about the heat for months and now I'm complaining about the chill. I'm in the middle of a brake job on my Mark VIII and need a couple of days more to finish it. The storm in MX was unusually "mild" where my station is, only 24mph wind and a few inches of rain, the power didn't even go off, that's a first.

On the sad OSU tragedy, we had a similar thing here in Austin a year or two ago.

Offline ArmySlowRdr

• Senior Contributor
    • South Central Killeen
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2015, 10:03:12 PM »

Well it is fun.  I only had 8.21 in total in the 90 hour storm period here in the CENTEX.  But in 2010 shortly after starting to observe for CoCoRahs and on at least one occasion since, yes I've had overflow conditions (10 in plus in the 24 hr period).  Also got drenched at 230 am a few nights ago unplugging the automated. I need to install that bird shield......

Wow that is some heavy rain... Just think, it really shows how crazy weather observers are when it comes to dedication to the hobby. Whoever took those measurements most likely would have had to empty their CoCoRAHS gauge at least once "during" the storm. I suspect they got drenched doing it...

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2015, 05:17:22 PM »
Valentine Miller field came in 9th coldest this morning for USA @19.9F. My station 20.9F located in town 1.3 miles North. Fairbanks Alaska was a balmy 23F.
Randy

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2015, 06:13:03 AM »
Thought for sure Fall had arrived officially yesterday.  Was outside doing some things and hear this awful squawking.  Looked around a bit, then up to see a large classic double V formation of geese flying south.  Must have been a couple of hundred of them or more.

Then while I was watching, they turned west.

Go west young Goose?  What does that mean?

Offline illinimatt81

• Shaker Heights, OH Weather
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2015, 11:00:50 AM »
Thought for sure Fall had arrived officially yesterday.  Was outside doing some things and hear this awful squawking.  Looked around a bit, then up to see a large classic double V formation of geese flying south.  Must have been a couple of hundred of them or more.

Then while I was watching, they turned west.

Go west young Goose?  What does that mean?

I've seen large flocks in V formation flying west as you have noted, and north as well! Strange. Perhaps they realize that being Canada Geese they should go back to Canada!

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2015, 02:01:08 PM »
We were out at the gun range and had several large groups of geese all heading west to land on what is named "The Mill pond" within the city limits. I think they are wintering here early part of winter. Its frozen solid around Thanksgiving but they still land on the ice. The area must be appealing enough with feed in the wheat, corn, soy bean fields they decide to stay awhile. By early January the geese seem to disappear I take it they continue their track further south.
Randy

anything