Author Topic: Blitzortung on Engadget  (Read 1843 times)

Offline schaffer970

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 09:24:52 AM by schaffer970 »

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
Re: Blitzortung on Engadget
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 09:59:30 AM »
I just saw that also. Congrats guys!
Tony

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 07:42:34 PM »

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 07:49:37 PM »
Reddit is one of the reasons for the backlog in orders....

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 08:10:11 AM »
Saw that article. I'm glad for the coverage for Blitzortung, but I'll be curious to see if the backlog of orders, if some are from reddit, how much that backlog decreases once people realize that this is assembly required/tune/tinker with, and not plug in play. I would also be curious to see how USLDN/Viasala are dealing with this, especially since we are supplying free data in near real-time that other folks are paying a small fortune for.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 08:26:39 AM »
Rather cute to read all the speculation about how the magic happens...
Build a system, join the fun, and amaze the world.

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 07:34:13 AM »
It seems to me that one thing we can do this summer, while Egon et. al take a well-deserved vacation, is work to maintain interest and patience among those who have seen the publicity...

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 09:05:40 AM »
It seems to me that one thing we can do this summer, while Egon et. al take a well-deserved vacation, is work to maintain interest and patience among those who have seen the publicity...
Agreed.
Primarily, especially new stations.. work this summer to fine tune, learn to get quality, not quantity... The next phase will be focused on quality of signal data... a poor long distance wave that may previously have 'counted' and been used, may become rejected. Previously tolerated signals produced by modified antennas and various connection schemes, that affect phasing and signal delay, are likely to be rejected.

So I'd suggest we all fine tune, get as close to the standard install recommendations as possible, if we've innovated because we wanted to, or were forced to... let's refine. Get the best quality and be ready when the servers are going to 'demand' it, so to speak.

Part of that quality operation is likely going to mean something like "Maximum Quality Distance" for my station. 2500km was cool, but not quality. 1200km may be the new "cool and high quality" standard for me... I'll have a 50% LD efficiency instead of 90. So what.  I'll also have a "20-40% locating ratio" instead of "2-20%" The locating deviation circles should shrink across the network... we'll be zooming in on trees instead of forests, boulders instead of mountains, and oil rigs instead of waves. We may even have the potential for exotic new parameters.. like "the anvil crawler began over Denver City Hall and produced feelers and discharges over TRex terminal in Littleton, Home Depot in Aurora, and Highlands Mall, went CC and triggered a CG  that disabled the Channel 9 transmitter up in the foothills."  You know, really cool stuff.

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 09:49:40 AM »
Agreed.
Primarily, especially new stations.. work this summer to fine tune, learn to get quality, not quantity... The next phase will be focused on quality of signal data... a poor long distance wave that may previously have 'counted' and been used, may become rejected. Previously tolerated signals produced by modified antennas and various connection schemes, that affect phasing and signal delay, are likely to be rejected.

So I'd suggest we all fine tune, get as close to the standard install recommendations as possible, if we've innovated because we wanted to, or were forced to... let's refine. Get the best quality and be ready when the servers are going to 'demand' it, so to speak.

Part of that quality operation is likely going to mean something like "Maximum Quality Distance" for my station. 2500km was cool, but not quality. 1200km may be the new "cool and high quality" standard for me... I'll have a 50% LD efficiency instead of 90. So what.  I'll also have a "20-40% locating ratio" instead of "2-20%" The locating deviation circles should shrink across the network... we'll be zooming in on trees instead of forests, boulders instead of mountains, and oil rigs instead of waves. We may even have the potential for exotic new parameters.. like "the anvil crawler began over Denver City Hall and produced feelers and discharges over TRex terminal in Littleton, Home Depot in Aurora, and Highlands Mall, went CC and triggered a CG  that disabled the Channel 9 transmitter up in the foothills."  You know, really cool stuff.

Mike, getting back to "standard install recommendations as possible"... does that include using the ferrite antenna that they recommend and go away from the vast array of antenna's that are out there... including my 12" Ball that Lance put me onto??

Inquiring minds want to know.

Joe
https://joesweather.info
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
WeatherLink Live

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 10:24:33 AM »

Mike, getting back to "standard install recommendations as possible"... does that include using the ferrite antenna that they recommend and go away from the vast array of antenna's that are out there... including my 12" Ball that Lance put me onto??

Inquiring minds want to know.

Joe
Ah,... no... I'd not even suggest that... I was referring more to our thought patterns, settings, and 'strange hookups' and board modifications, excluding perhaps that AS3935 thingy.  I believe that all other things being 'equal' someone could easily determine, if they haven't already, whether a different antenna design might be considered.... for example, I know for a fact that if I go put my original short ferrites back on the system, I not only lose my sweet spot, I cannot find another one. Weird but true.  So you'll have to come steal my 300x7.5mm ferrites, but I'd wind another set so fast it'd make your head spin.
I've thought about ripping off your 'ball' and trying it, and now that I now how to find you... .

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 10:25:38 AM »
Part of that quality operation is likely going to mean something like "Maximum Quality Distance" for my station. 2500km was cool, but not quality. 1200km may be the new "cool and high quality" standard for me... I'll have a 50% LD efficiency instead of 90. So what.  I'll also have a "20-40% locating ratio" instead of "2-20%"
This is one of the issues that I have run across - what are the priorities as far as the measurables go? When you go to the Blitzortung.org website, EL is the default measurable so that is the one I try to achieve. Locating ratio is not even on that page or highlighted being important on the station statistics page. Chart #1 is stroke count (EL), #2 is signal count, and then #3 is locating ratio.

Roughly speaking, my strokes are about 10% of my signals, and of that 10% strokes, 10% up to 25% of those are minimum stations. So if the station is at 98% El with 10,000 strokes, ~1,500 are minimum station strokes. If the gain is turned down to reduce the other 9,000 signals that were not strokes, the whole count for Northern America will be down.

Lets look at it this way:

Active Day:     100,000 signals       10,000 strokes       90,000 not recorded as lightning
Slow Day:        10,000 signals          1,000 strokes         9,000 not recorded as lightning
Difference                                                                  81,000 not recorded as lightning

For the sake of discussion let's say that on a Slow Day, the 10,000 signals minus 1,000 strokes = 9,000 are noise. That 9,000 noise would still be true on an active day with 100,000 signals. So the difference of 81,000 is not noise, but strokes that did not have verification by other 5 stations. If they were noise then wouldn't they still show up on slow days? Now when we get more stations with proper coverage across America, then the 81,000 will be verified and there will be no need for my station to pick them up.

For this reason, I figure that top priority is detecting as many strikes as possible, especially because the majority of lightning strikes are not being detected at all. During the active days we had had recently, on many times I saw 15% of my strikes were min station strikes. Because I was at 99% EL, that is also ~15 % of all the network strikes. If any one of the 6 stations were turned down to reduce unverified signals, the network would have missed these strokes. And because the main server is not complaining about unverified signals and/or noise yet, I crank it up. Once there is coverage as the system is designed and we are catching them all, then my station will not need to reach Costa Rica or Manitoba and it is time to throttle back and reduce unwanted noise.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 01:59:42 PM by Dr Obbins »

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 10:29:24 AM »
Suggestion... this is evolving into a "Quality improvement" thread... somebody go start it, and let's move the relevant thoughts from this thread to that one?????

anything