Author Topic: About the Solar Sensor  (Read 2780 times)

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
About the Solar Sensor
« on: April 22, 2014, 03:31:49 PM »
You may know that I was a technician before retiring.  If it has screws, that's an invitation to open for exploration.  If it doesn't have screws, then I must saw it open.  Anyway, I had a cruddy Solar and UV sensor pair that needed cleaning.  I thought longer cables would allow me to terminate all the Davis sensors in a J-box.
So now, I have an enclosure with easy connections to Solar, UV, rain gauge, anemometer, 2 solar power panels, and the aspirator fan motor.
The project begins.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
Re: About the Solar Sensor
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 03:34:04 PM »
Opening the solar sensor enclosure, I find the circuit board.  I draw a schematic from the board pattern.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 03:38:38 PM »
I provided a schematic of the solar sensor on other topics.  I don't know where that schematic came from.  This is the first time I've seen the circuit pattern and now I've drawn my version of the circuit.  Attached is a diagram that I believe is correct.

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 03:54:29 PM »
The UV sensor has similar connections.  Yellow is +3volts power pulse, red & black are common, green is a voltage level output to the SIM during the time that the power is applied.  I did not open and diagram the UV circuit.  The UV circuit board picture is attached.
If anyone has a UV sensor that has failed, send it and I'll open it and diagram the circuit.  I'll repair it if possible, no guarantee.

Offline linuxfreak

• Hamilton Central Mountain Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • Wink, wink!
    • Hamilton Central Mountain Weather
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 04:26:45 AM »
Hey Al,

Could you post the part number off of the UV sensor, the metal can sensor chip that is???  Can't see it too well in the photo.

George

p.s. - While snooping around about the PIN diode for the solar sensor I found the following 2 items.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:48:06 AM by linuxfreak »
George
Davis VP2/FARS, VVP, WD, WL, WSWin, Cumulus, NexStorm, StrikeStar, NSLog, XPort(GPS), WASP2, DigitalAtmosphere, ScannerCast(WUradio), Intel Atom N330 dual-core, 2Gig ram, Windows XP Home SP3  #-o
CWOP - DW3112, PWS & WU - IONHAMIL2, AWEKAS - 5112, COWN, WML - WD01901

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 07:35:01 AM »
Hey Al,
Could you post the part number off of the UV sensor, the metal can sensor chip that is???  Can't see it too well in the photo.
George
p.s. - While snooping around about the PIN diode for the solar sensor I found the following 2 items.

The sensor part number would be good to know.  But I didn't read or write the component P/N.  I'll go back in and do some more snooping. 
The top of the UV sensor enclosure is white plastic.  But visible light enters only through the small (1/8") bump.  What I saw was purple-blue light coming in only through that small spot to the light sensor diode.  The shape of the plastic forms a lens to filter light from above and a portion from a lower angle.
What other information should I gather in the next exploration of the UV sensor?  I'll consider making a schematic if I can easily remove the metal shields from the circuit board.
The UV circuit board uses surface mount components for a more crowded device.  It'll be more difficult or impossible to diagram it.  I'll send pictures.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 07:43:35 AM by wxtech »

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 03:17:02 PM »
Hey Al,
George
The numbers on the can are 3446, then a space and 5C.  It is in a TO5 window can just like the solar sensor.  It has 3 leads.  The center lead is connected to the can.
It is labeled D1 on the circuit board.
Al
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 05:27:31 PM by wxtech »

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 04:41:44 PM »
Al,
Curiosity got the best of you, I see.

You'll need to amend your statement about screws to include silicon seal.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 07:56:41 PM »
Can you get a picture of the top of the solar sensors sensing component?
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 08:13:14 PM »
Can you get a picture of the top of the solar sensors sensing component?
Top view of the VTB5041 sensor on the solar sensor circuit board.  That's a screwdriver blade that I'm using to hold the board for the picture.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 08:14:54 PM by wxtech »

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 11:42:56 PM »
Awesome!
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.