Author Topic: Weatherlink USB to router? Can I still download?  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Sign Guy

Weatherlink USB to router? Can I still download?
« on: April 05, 2014, 04:42:55 PM »
I got my Vantage Pro 2 up and running and am enjoying it now for a couple of weeks.  I am trying to figure out 1) how to hook it up to my computer (looks like I need the weather link software and their special dongle type USB plug).  2) put the data up on weather underground.

I am not a computer wizard like most of you so come down the mountain and speak slowly so I can understand  :lol: 

I have my console at one end of the house and my computer at the other.  At some point I think they may get closer together so i was thinking of the USB option.  I do have a 16 port router that I could hook up to and thought it might be easier to run a ethernet cable from one end of the house to the other to hook it up (I don't know if you can get USB cables that long but I do have a 25' & 50' ethernet cable in the basement).  I also don't want to leave my computer on all the time. 

So all you wise wizards, can I get an adapter to hook up to a USB to ethernet and run to the router and from there to weather underground  and pull data when I turn the computer on or do I get the IP connector and do it that way?   

My other option I thought about is to get another wireless type console that I can put down next to my computer and hook that into my computer but I still don't want to leave it (computer) running 24/7. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: Weatherlink USB to router? Can I still download?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 06:01:41 PM »
Given all that you said (I won't quote it) -- absolutely go with the WeatherLinkIP. 

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 06:07:33 PM »
Or Meteobridge.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Sign Guy

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 06:41:53 PM »
Thanks for both of your responses.  I looked up the Meteobridge and even though it seems simple it still seems like it might be over my head. :???:  The WeatherlinkIP looks like the right choice even though it is (IMO) quite expensive.  To bad the Davis system is like a Mac and has such proprietary connections instead of making life simple like many other systems and include the port.  Such is life, I'll start saving. :-) 

Thanks again for your help.

Offline BCJKiwi

• Forecaster
    • Silver Acorn Weather - N.Z.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 06:55:36 PM »
While usb over Ethernet is technically possible it is problematic and expensive.
If you have, or can organise a cat5e or better cable from the weatherlink USB to the PC (i.e. NOT via the routers/switches - NOT Ethernet) then there are USB extenders which use all 8 cores of the cable.
Currently use a UNITEK Y-2505 to do this without issues.
the 2505 is only USB 1.1 but that is plenty fast enough for the small packets of data and cheaper and is good for 50metres cable length..
There is also a Y-2507 USB 2.0 for up to 100Metres from the same company but with additional costs attached.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 07:06:47 PM »
The WeatherlinkIP looks like the right choice even though it is (IMO) quite expensive.  To bad the Davis system is like a Mac and has such proprietary connections instead of making life simple like many other systems and include the port.  Such is life, I'll start saving. :-) 

Well, you put a lot of restrictions on the problem:
A.  PC not running 24/7  [so your example of a Mac wouldn't be applicable anyway]
B.  Very minimal technical knowledge and experience.
C.  Console not located anywhere near the PC.  [And even if you bought another console, see A. above]

I'm not criticizing.  In fact, thanks for describing the real situation in detail.  It's just that reality often constrains alternatives (for the manufacturer as well as for the buyer).

The WeatherLinkIP was made to answer that set of requirements.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 07:11:06 PM by dalecoy »

Offline Sign Guy

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 07:30:56 PM »
No problem at all Dale, I totally get what you are saying & agree.  :-)  The usb extenders look very easy to hook up http://tinyurl.com/oqlpyde  Thanks BCJKiwi but then I still have to keep the PC on all the time.  I'm thinking Dales weatherlinkIP is the right choice. 

The reference of the Mac is that I used to have Mac computers and like the Davis unit everything I wanted to get for the Mac was only available from Apple so it was expensive (Davis is the only one that sells an adapter to connect to a computer so they can charge accordingly).  I wanted more variety of applications & hardware so I switched to a PC.  ;)