Author Topic: WeatherlinkIP and Rapid Fire  (Read 2078 times)

Offline brianb131

• Potomac Falls VA Weather
WeatherlinkIP and Rapid Fire
« on: April 02, 2014, 09:02:05 AM »
I am a new owner of a Davis Vantage View and WeatherlinkIP. Everything worked right out of the box, and I was on WeatherUnderground right away. After close to a $500 investment, I had questions as to why Davis is only updating WeatherUnderground every 15 minutes. After looking at other local stations using Rapid Fire, I too decided I needed a faster response. (Why Faster? Fast is built into my DNA!!!)

After some Internet research, I Decided to test Virtual Weather Station (VWS ver.15).
1) The VWS setup lets me pull data from my Local Area Network, directly from the WeatherlinkIP Ethernet port.
2) The VWS program has superior graphics over the outdated look of the Davis Weatherlink program.
3) In VWS setup, you put in your wunderground station ID and password, turn on rapidfire.  Instant success, I now have Rapidfire.
4) There does not seem to be interference with my original WeatherlinkIP function. The Data logger still transmits to Davis Weatherlink site, and Davis still sends data to WeatherUnderground every 15 minutes.
5) VWS has a built in routine that automatically opens the Davis Weatherlink software daily and updates my weatherlink and NOAA database within my local Weatherlink directory.

I have only been running a Weather Station less than a month. and VWS with Rapidfire for 1 day. So far, no issues. 
Check out my WeatherUnderground PWS here:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KVASTERL12

My next step will be to set up a Weatherbug Personal Weather Station, which VWS supports within the software.
 \:D/
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 11:42:09 AM by brianb131 »

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
Re: WeatherlinkIP and Rapid Fire
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 10:38:45 AM »
Welcome to the area.        You should really not send data to WU or any other PWS site via two different routes using two different software.    VWS station is sending data at a higher rate than the Davis net. It is possible for old data from Davis.net to overwrite the VWS data. Plus the two software do not necessarily calculate the different types of data using the same formulas so they can easily be sending different  numbers.  Choose one or the other.

I can't tell from the WU url which station is yours there are 30 something listed.   The one providing data to that page currently is KVAPOTOM3  which I do not think is you.

Personally I would rather see the data page for your station like this one

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KAZELFRI2

Offline brianb131

• Potomac Falls VA Weather
Re: WeatherlinkIP and Rapid Fire
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 10:57:33 AM »
Beaudog;
Thanks for the tips. With that in mind, I think I will drop Weatherlink.com from reporting to WU.

My station is http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KVASTERL12.

anything