Author Topic: Transfer data from one computer to another.  (Read 2241 times)

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
Transfer data from one computer to another.
« on: March 09, 2014, 10:11:29 AM »
With the demise of XP next month, I shall have to bring my old Vista laptop out of retirement for use with my weather station. I currently use VWS and would like to transfer the whole program, including history from one machine to the other. I suppose I should know how to do this, but sadly I don't. #-o  Would it be possible to copy the VWS files on to a USB memory stick and then on to the Vista machine, if so, how do I do it?

I have my XP machine connected to the internet to upload data to Wunderground and WeatherForYou PWS. If I didn't use the internet, I wouldn't bother, but not prepared to take the risk without the Windows updates.

Any help would be very much appreciated. 
Alan

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
Re: Transfer data from one computer to another.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 11:47:03 AM »
I plan to keep on using XP when it expires. I see no reason to upgrade just because support is running out.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 07:13:22 PM »
Does MS still support Vista?
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 02:46:59 AM »
Thanks guys for your replies and the link  :grin:

jackman.

Are you not concerned that your security could be compromised when the support ends? At the moment I use Microsoft Security Essentials on my XP machine, so when the support ends, that will also end. Will you be using some other type of security, i.e. AVG? As I said in my first post, I would prefer not to bother changing, but I am concerned about internet security when MSE ends for XP users. I use a Mac for everyday use, including photography processing, but the XP weather station machine is running 24/7.

Greg.

It would appear that support for Vista has been extended to 2017, (see link below).

http://bgr.com/2012/04/10/windows-vista-enters-extended-support-xp-support-ends-in-2014/
Alan

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 03:08:28 AM »

jackman.

Are you not concerned that your security could be compromised when the support ends? At the moment I use Microsoft Security Essentials on my XP machine, so when the support ends, that will also end. Will you be using some other type of security, i.e. AVG? As I said in my first post, I would prefer not to bother changing, but I am concerned about internet security when MSE ends for XP users. I use a Mac for everyday use, including photography processing, but the XP weather station machine is running 24/7.

Sure I'm concerned. That's why the PC that I'm using for the WX station contains no personal information. It's an old PC that only runs VWS and a few other related essentials. It's behind a firewall and running anti-virus. It's not used for anything else. When it dies I'll replace it.

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 09:03:31 AM »
Does MS still support Vista?
   Vista on my machine gets it's updates every month.
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 12:49:28 PM »
If you do move VWS to another computer, I would highly suggest that you take the time to go through every setup screen in VWS and take a screen-snapshot of the contents. Sometimes the copying of the setups works just fine but, as in my case, when I moved from XP to a Win7 system, some of the settings got changed and it took a while to get everything back to where it had been under XP.

I use Jing (http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html) for capturing my screens and it works quite nicely. There are many other screen capturing software packages available.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 02:52:58 AM »
If you do move VWS to another computer, I would highly suggest that you take the time to go through every setup screen in VWS and take a screen-snapshot of the contents. Sometimes the copying of the setups works just fine but, as in my case, when I moved from XP to a Win7 system, some of the settings got changed and it took a while to get everything back to where it had been under XP.

I use Jing (http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html) for capturing my screens and it works quite nicely. There are many other screen capturing software packages available.

Thanks, Don, That is exactly the thing I wanted to avoid. I already have my screen layout just as I want it and was hoping I could copy the complete files to the new computer. I suppose it would be just as easy to download a later version of VWS, but I would then have to go through the whole exercise of screen layout.

One other thing I failed to mention in my original post. I also have Davis Weather Link installed, but I could use the original disk to install that. I don't have a disk for VWS, it was purchased as an internet download using a license number.
Alan

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 03:27:17 PM »
Well, since the Vista machine is the new one, why not just install VWS on it and then copy all of the files from the XP machine to the new one. Then, connect the weather station to the new computer and see what happens? You may lose a little bit of data while the new computer is connected. This will let you get the communications set-up for VWS and to make sure everything is running from a comm perspective. Then, you can dig into the details of the screen setup as well as other connections to exterior sites you are sending your data to.

If this doesn't work, just go back to your original XP.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849