Author Topic: Crashing problem: cause found  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Andy Thompson

• Southern Minnesota Live Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Madelia and Thompson Farms
Crashing problem: cause found
« on: February 05, 2014, 07:16:24 AM »
After running VWS for over 3 years, I've finally figured out why the program was crashing a couple times daily. When I go on YouTube and watch a video, for some odd reason VWS begins to draw more memory. Normally it draws 113 MB. When I close YouTube, sometimes it hangs onto the memory or is lets it go and it stays normal. Other times, it continues to accumulate until there gets to be over 150 MB and then it crashes. So now I've setup start watch on both of my station computers to reboot the program if the memory usage exceeds 150 MB. I told Ed at Ambient Weather, and he said he cannot fix that because it is an external problem.
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com

Offline jay_hoehn

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Jay's Woodcrafts
Re: Crashing problem: cause found
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 11:20:45 AM »
Way to go, Andy.  Hope that solves the issue for all time.

Jay
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
VVP
Weather Display

Offline Andy Thompson

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 11:31:11 AM »
I've seen it creep it's way up to 350 MB on the farm computer and it had not even crashed yet! After setting start watch, I've seen it reboot VWS once already. That should be the fix!
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 12:46:26 PM »
Andy,

Startwatch is the ONLY software package that has allowed me to continue to run VWS. I have Startwatch configured so that when VWS memory use gets to 275mb, it restarts VWS. That happens at least 2 to 3 times each day regardless of what version of VWS I run. I've worked with Ed over the years and he has never been able to identify or fix the problem. All other software  runs just fine. I have experienced this issue on multiple Windows platforms from WinXP to Win7 Ultimate as well as on different computers.

I still believe it is a VWS problem since it occurs in so many different configurations. Others have no problems at all so it truly is a mystery.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 05:01:55 PM »
That is odd, I just checked and I'm at 13.7mb? Now during, and a little before, an update cycle it jumps to 17.5M - but that's all?

Offline Andy Thompson

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 10:58:26 AM »
That is odd, I just checked and I'm at 13.7mb? Now during, and a little before, an update cycle it jumps to 17.5M - but that's all?
Memory usage can change substantially when you are not watching it. If you double-click on your programs being monitored in Startwatch, you can see what they have peaked at.
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com