Author Topic: WMR968 Receiving stations - no receiving signals  (Read 2208 times)

Offline va3mw

WMR968 Receiving stations - no receiving signals
« on: October 11, 2013, 12:52:06 PM »
I have 2 WMR 968 receiving stations.  Both have stopped receiving all stations at my remote location.

What I have diagnosed so far is that the RF receivers in both of them have drifted off frequency of the station transmitters.  What is interesting is that when you open them up, but have different RF units (RF guys will understand what I am saying).

Does anyone have a schematic of either RF unit?  One only has a trimmer capacitor on it and the other has 3 tuning slugs.  

Any clues on how to align either unit would be so hopeful.

BTW, this is not an environment issue, but a failure in the RF receivers on the display  units.

Mike

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
Re: WMR968 Receiving stations - no receiving signals
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 01:08:18 PM »
if you know the frequency and have scopeand RF sig. generator you can tune them for peak reception.

John

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 02:23:29 PM »
I have 2 WMR 968 receiving stations.  Both have stopped receiving all stations at my remote location.

What I have diagnosed so far is that the RF receivers in both of them have drifted off frequency of the station transmitters.  What is interesting is that when you open them up, but have different RF units (RF guys will understand what I am saying).

Does anyone have a schematic of either RF unit?  One only has a trimmer capacitor on it and the other has 3 tuning slugs.  

Any clues on how to align either unit would be so hopeful.

BTW, this is not an environment issue, but a failure in the RF receivers on the display  units.

Mike

Are you talking about the consiole not receiving?  Have you tried taking the console out to the sensors to see if it's a distance/interfearence problem?
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline va3mw

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 03:02:43 PM »
Yes, that is not the problem. 

Offline va3mw

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 11:30:21 AM »
With some work, I have found the actual transmit frequency of 433.90000 Mhz, although the carrier frequency may be a little off from that. (The mouse moved on the picture, so the displayed frequency is a little off).

Now, I can generate a test signal and retune the actual receivers.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 11:36:23 AM by va3mw »

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
    • Weather Station Data Logger
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 01:45:27 AM »
The nominal frequency is actually 433.92 MHz. Don't know how much the OS sensors can vary from that number however...but if you are going to tune I would recommend tuning to 433.92 MHz.

Offline va3mw

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 08:13:42 AM »
If it was possible to actually find something that looked like a Discrimeter level or voltage, I would happy to tune to that frequency.  As it is now, I am throwing out about 9 sensors and 2 receivers. 

If anyone else is ready this, I would highly suggest that you don't spend any money on their product if you want it to work more than 2 years.

Mike va3mw

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 03:16:50 PM »
If it was possible to actually find something that looked like a Discrimeter level or voltage, I would happy to tune to that frequency.  As it is now, I am throwing out about 9 sensors and 2 receivers. 

If anyone else is ready this, I would highly suggest that you don't spend any money on their product if you want it to work more than 2 years.

Mike va3mw

I will take your anemometer if you got one to give away or sell cheaply.   :-)
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

anything