Author Topic: VWS and Windows 10  (Read 676 times)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
VWS and Windows 10
« on: January 20, 2016, 04:20:38 PM »
I'm still running my production system with Windows 7-Pro, but have a test weather software system with Windows 10-Pro.
I tried to run VWS 15p03, and received an error message (attached) -- VWS wouldn't start.

I contacted Ed and he said
Just delete the file c:\vws\WININET.dll and restart

Regards

Ed

so I renamed WININET.dll to old-WININET.dll, then VWS would start and work again.  This may only happen with folks who have older installations of VWS and have updated them over the years, but it's something to be aware of.

Happy updating...

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis Vantage Pro Plus - FARS, Boltek-PCI/NexStorm, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteohub
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline pwdiver

• Beach Area Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • My 1972 Challenger
Re: VWS and Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 06:55:14 AM »
Ive updated my Hard drive with the SSD drive had to reload win 10 for what ever reason I cant seem to get VWS to load I have the latest version. I keep getting some message that say's no software will be installed or removed. Any help would be appreciated ](*,)

Offline pwdiver

• Beach Area Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • My 1972 Challenger
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 09:25:01 AM »
I finally got it working this morning. \:D/

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 12:58:33 PM »
One tip on working with both Windows 10 and Windows 8 for that matter.  Even when you do a "restart" in the menu, it isn't a full restart like Windows 7 and older does.

I've had issues where an install hung and I had to do a reboot.  Start the install again and it would say a previous install was already working.

To do a full and true restart in Windows 8 and 10, go to the Command Prompt.  Run shutdown /r /t 0 .  That is /r for restart.  /t 0 is time zero seconds until reboot.  You can do a /s for shutdown instead of /r if you wanted to as well.
BismarckWeather.net

Offline cfuller57

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 11:06:48 AM »
Instead of using the cmd prompt, right click the Window Button, aka Start Button, and choose restart.
This will do the same thing.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 11:25:52 AM »
Not always.  Sometimes the restart is to just reload what is cached.  Windows 8/10 have a "quick boot" feature.  That right click restart is just a reload of the quick boot.

I've been in situations where I was installing software, and the installation would fail.  Second attempt to install anything would fail stating a previous installation was still in process.  A regular restart wouldn't fix it.

That's when you have to resort to the command prompt restart, which is more like Windows 7 full restart.
BismarckWeather.net

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 11:31:56 AM »
I guess it's called Fast Boot in Windows 8, and Fast Startup in Windows 10.  But they both have it.  It's a hybrid shutdown to a hibernate file, and boot back up again off the hibernate file.  Usually that's fine, but sometimes can cause issues.

http://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/
BismarckWeather.net