Author Topic: VP2 v3 Firmware updates now posted  (Read 48462 times)

Offline Astronomer

• Mt. Brydges Weather
Re: VP2 v3 Firmware updates now posted
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2013, 10:18:41 PM »
That was my thought. I'm 20+ years in the IT industry and I've been into electronics for a long time, so I've seen this sort of thing before. It's a pain in the backside, but as my wife would say, "it's a first-world problem", so I'll be patient. Davis has a good reputation for service, so I expect I'll be back up and running fairly quickly.

Offline kalenshah

« Reply #101 on: March 10, 2013, 09:07:35 AM »
I have successfully updated my VP2 Wireless console firmware from 1.90 to 3.12 using weather-link IP. It took several minutes to complete. During the update the console was unresponsive which was expected and once the update was complete, the console rebooted and all returned to normal. I had to re sync the time however as it was the same as when the update started.
WUNDERGROUND ID:IENGLAND406                                                             Live IP

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2013, 09:21:20 PM »
People who are using VP Live should be warned that the latest versions of Weatherlink, such as 6.02, won't do uploads after firmware 3.12 is installed.  However, at least one of the earlier versions of Weatherlink will upload, one of which is 5.8.2.  This is speaking from my own experience.  So unless you have a good reason for sticking with a quite recent version of Weatherlink, try an earlier version of Weatherlink, if it's on your computer, before reinstalling 1.90 firmware.  I have not heard of any fixes.  This is only if you are using VP Live.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline WeerInMontfort

« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2013, 10:02:56 AM »
I have run into the same problem as Astronomer did.

I updated using a 6555 IP data logger connection and ended up with a non responsive console (VP2 wireless console with manufacturing date also in April 2012).
However, when I replaced the 6555 IP data logger with a 6520 USB data logger I borrowed from a friend, I was able to install the 3.12 firmware.
Now both the VP2 console and my website are up and running again (using firmware 3.12).

Probably the update program has some issues using TCP-IP resulting in communication errors and bricking the console.
Therefore I would not advise to update when you are using a 6555 IP data logger in combination with a VP2 console.

Kind regards, Weer in Montfort
http://www.inmontfort.nl/cwim/

Looks like my VP2 base station had some issues. The update bricked it. Here's an (edited*) copy of what I emailed Davis' tech support:

Good evening,

On May 10, 2012, I purchased a Vantage Pro2. It appeared to be working fine for the past 10 months. I did notice many connection errors in my Cumulus software logs, and I read that the 3.12 update would fix this issue, as well as improve accuracy etc. My firmware version was 1.90. I ran the update, and the firmware update failed with a "Program Page Failed" error. I then tried to re-flash to v. 1.90, and the same error occurred at the same point (see attached image). My wireless receiver was unresponsive at this point, so I removed the batteries and unplugged it. Upon plugging it back in it emitted a long beep and then...nothing. The screen is blank and there is no power to the unit. I also put the batteries back in with the same result. The manufacturing code on the unit is A120124P046.

*Edited to omit where purchased, order #, etc.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2013, 11:03:10 AM »
I updated using a 6555 IP data logger connection and ended up with a non responsive console (VP2 wireless console with manufacturing date also in April 2012).

I'd be interested in the symptoms with your console. I've seen the same thing but updating an 'analogue' VP2 console via 6555 logger (before this was identified as a known issue). However, the update did seem to complete successfully, if very slowly, before the console rebooted with the 'digital sensors not found' ticker message. So my take was that updating via a 6555 logger was OK, if not to be recommended because of the time it takes.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline WeerInMontfort

« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2013, 11:30:30 AM »

I'd be interested in the symptoms with your console. I've seen the same thing but updating an 'analogue' VP2 console via 6555 logger (before this was identified as a known issue). However, the update did seem to complete successfully, if very slowly, before the console rebooted with the 'digital sensors not found' ticker message. So my take was that updating via a 6555 logger was OK, if not to be recommended because of the time it takes.

The symptoms are:
- the update process starts normal and (not extremely slow) it counts the successfull updated pages (i believe the complete update is some 700 pages)
- the update process halts after some successfull updates (I tried this a few times, in most cases only 10 to 20 pages are successfully updated)
- less than half a minute later the PC update program shows the error message "Program Page Failed"
- sometimes this is followed by the error message "Communication Error" (also from the PC update program, not on the console)
- you then can retry or stop trying & reboot your console
- after rebooting the console there is one bleep and an empty screen (no error messages are shown).

Hope this helps you...

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2013, 01:20:36 PM »
OK, thanks. No I definitely didn't see this same problem with the IP logger. I wonder if you had some network issues?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline EW1628

« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2013, 01:29:48 PM »
I was able to successfully upgrade my VP2 to v3.12 with WeatherLink IP. The console was running v 3.0 firmware prior to the upgrade. I'm not sure what the manufacture date of my console is, but I bought it new in November of last year. The upgrade fixed the communication problems I was having with Cumulus.

Offline Astronomer

• Mt. Brydges Weather
« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2013, 06:43:37 PM »

The symptoms are:
- the update process starts normal and (not extremely slow) it counts the successfull updated pages (i believe the complete update is some 700 pages)
- the update process halts after some successfull updates (I tried this a few times, in most cases only 10 to 20 pages are successfully updated)
- less than half a minute later the PC update program shows the error message "Program Page Failed"
- sometimes this is followed by the error message "Communication Error" (also from the PC update program, not on the console)
- you then can retry or stop trying & reboot your console
- after rebooting the console there is one bleep and an empty screen (no error messages are shown).

Hope this helps you...

Those are the symptoms that I experienced with my console. UPS should have my unit delivered to Davis Instruments on Monday.

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2013, 02:17:30 PM »
I am in a position where soon I will have to replace my old (2004 vintage) VP1 and all this worries me as financing both a VP2 and new logger is not really on. I was expecting my logger to be compatible.

I would appreciate it if anyone can clarify what does work from practical experience, which loggers (both Davis and clone) do actually work with firmware V3.12 and if so is this on a new console or an upgraded one?

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline RainmanWeather

• Senior Contributor
    • RainmanWeather
« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2013, 02:54:29 PM »
I am in a position where soon I will have to replace my old (2004 vintage) VP1 and all this worries me as financing both a VP2 and new logger is not really on. I was expecting my logger to be compatible.

I would appreciate it if anyone can clarify what does work from practical experience, which loggers (both Davis and clone) do actually work with firmware V3.12 and if so is this on a new console or an upgraded one?

Stuart

Not to worry Stuart if you already have a Davis logger. As of FW 3.12 it should work anyways, but if not Davis will replace with a current version if it does not work due to the firmware.

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2013, 04:50:02 PM »
Not to worry Stuart if you already have a Davis logger. As of FW 3.12 it should work anyways, but if not Davis will replace with a current version if it does not work due to the firmware.

I somehow doubt that this would be the case with an 8year old logger that I would get a replacement for anything less than full price, at least not here in the UK. I would still like to know exactly what people have found to be wokring and not working with both Davis and clone loggers.

stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #112 on: March 20, 2013, 05:20:49 PM »
... I would still like to know exactly what people have found to be wokring and not working with both Davis and clone loggers.

stuart

Spend some time working through the reports in this thread. 

[You will find reports that newer consoles with Firmware version 3.12 currently work with any available logger]

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2013, 05:53:16 PM »
[You will find reports that newer consoles with Firmware version 3.12 currently work with any available logger]

Not for me it doesn't. 'Incompatible logger' with an older logger in a green dot (wireless) console with v3.12 loaded.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2013, 06:39:01 PM »

Not for me it doesn't. 'Incompatible logger' with an older logger in a green dot (wireless) console with v3.12 loaded.

Oh.  Well, there we have it.  Sorry I missed that report.  Apparently I wasn't paying sufficient attention.

Is there a simple rule (like "v3.12 doesn't work with old or 3rd party loggers")?  Or a compatibility matrix?

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2013, 07:32:35 PM »
I did the update (from 1.90 to 3.12) using belfryboy's clone logger connected to my 6 YEAR old console. I HAD to go back to 1.90 because I use VVP to hook up to WL, WD, and VWS, and VWS would not work at all. WL and WD worked like it did before the update. It is VERY confusing as to what will or will not work with this BS that Davis has dropped on ALL of us.....VERY disappointed in Davis right now because their info/tech support does not provide ACCURATE information.      side note   Cumulus would also work just fine....VWS would not, so I don't know who is to blame. Just my 2 bits.....
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline RainmanWeather

• Senior Contributor
    • RainmanWeather
« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2013, 07:38:08 PM »

Oh.  Well, there we have it.  Sorry I missed that report.  Apparently I wasn't paying sufficient attention.

Is there a simple rule (like "v3.12 doesn't work with old or 3rd party loggers")?  Or a compatibility matrix?

Johnd I wonder what version is giving incompatible logger? I just verified an old 6540 (Serial, APRS streaming) that I had laying around worked just fine with VP2 Wireless FW 3.12 - 6540 mfg code A60315A44

I have also verified that the SLOWeather DSI-01 Serial cable works with FW 3.12.. I even have an old DB9 adapter for that one that was before he put in the jumpers.

seems mixed results still at this point

Offline RainmanWeather

• Senior Contributor
    • RainmanWeather
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2013, 07:48:50 PM »

I somehow doubt that this would be the case with an 8year old logger that I would get a replacement for anything less than full price, at least not here in the UK. I would still like to know exactly what people have found to be wokring and not working with both Davis and clone loggers.

stuart

Stuart, I apologise, unfortunately you are most likely correct. Davis has said that they will replace non-working loggers in the US, but I believe that it is up to the individual distributors in other regions.

I think there was one person who did get a replacement in the US posted on this board but have not heard of any other reports either way.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 08:00:40 PM by RainmanWeather »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2013, 10:23:13 PM »

I think there was one person who did get a replacement in the US posted on this board but have not heard of any other reports either way.

As I recall, that person worked through a personal friend who lives in the US.

Apparently, the best advice may be to send email to Davis, asking the compatibility question about your particular situation. 

Stuart, I don't recall if you mentioned what software you are using.  I don't personally blame Davis if they change something and it breaks software that Davis isn't selling or promoting (yes, it's unfortunate, but when you get software you should think about whether it will be supported in a timely fashion).  But if you are not using (just) WeatherLink, you should look at those details, too.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2013, 10:28:31 PM »
he does not have a problem with the software he is using
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2013, 04:35:53 AM »
he does not have a problem with the software he is using

Brian is correct I'm a Weather Display user  ;) My problem is that I have an old VP1 which I want to upgrade to a VP2, but being retired I dont have bottomless pockets, and my plan WAS to buy a cabled VP2 and use my existing 2004 vintage logger. Now I find that Davis have basically screwed me on this because I will get a 'green dot' console and it is highly likely that my logger wont work even if it comes with 3.12 installed. The chances of getting a free replacement for a 9 year old logger is less than zero here in the UK. So I am now in a position that if I want to upgrade to a VP2 it is going to cost me at least £100 more (if I can find a bundle of cabled VP2 plus logger). I already know that the supplier with the most competitive prices here in the UK is only going to have 'green dot' consoles so there is very little chance of finding a new non-green dot VP2 and certainly not at an affordable price. I dont really want another make of station, I'd probably give up rather than have one of the cheaper options.

I think Davis have behaved appallingly over this, yes it is their call on how they upgrade models but to my mind this is a PR disaster. They have created a situation which is likely to harm their reputation with existing users.

What I am hoping is that in the next few weeks we will get some real tests done by folks who have the new VP2 consoles and how and where they work with which loggers both clone and Davis. I hope that the clone makers will be able to bypass the problems which Davis have created which I suspect will be possible as it is unlikely they have completely re-engineered the loggers to do this.

Stuart

Offline Tornado Tim

• Matangi Weather
« Reply #121 on: March 21, 2013, 05:29:34 AM »
So if you have a new console and upgrade to 3.12 this still wont solve the logger incompatibility?
http://NZAPStrike.net - Oceania Blitzortung Lightning Network
http://Matangiweather.org - Matangi Weather Station
Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS with Solar

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #122 on: March 21, 2013, 06:00:31 AM »
So if you have a new console and upgrade to 3.12 this still wont solve the logger incompatibility?

Two points, first if I get a new console and it has 3.0 on it I wont be able to update it because I dont have a new logger, and second even if it comes with 3.12 already there is no way of knowing if my 9 year old logger will work with it. There is so much unknown over all this right now. The only way to guarantee a working system is a new VP2 AND a new logger.

Stuart

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
    • My weather station, etc.
« Reply #123 on: March 21, 2013, 08:22:15 AM »
FWIW, I'll throw in this information as I just played around with a spare VP2 console.

What I started out with (probably stuff in here which isn't relevant - but it's all from the label at the rear of the console):
- VP2P console
- FW version 1.90
- FW date Sep 29 2009
- Product #3212EU
- Model #6162EU
- Mfg. code A120531Pxxxx
- ISS E
- HUM J
- Final insp. ZD

I downloaded the v. 3.12 FW from the davisnet.com web site and set up the FT232RL USB-to-serial device, hooking it up to the console. I DO NOT use any kind of data logger at all.

Verified in a terminal screen that the console replied to the TEST command and various other commands.

Ran the FW v. 3.12 installer and asked it to look for the console at the COM port now available via the FT232RL device.
Came back with the expected "device found" and "bootware version 1.1" dialog.

Firmware update went along without any problems. Took a minute or two.
Console reset itself.

And, the great thing: the serial line is still available (...as it should be...). I can still talk to the console AND get valid data back from it without using a data logger.
FW is now reported as v. 3.12, dated Dec 11 2012.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2013, 10:13:08 AM »
FWIW, I'll throw in this information as I just played around with a spare VP2 console.

- Mfg. code A120531Pxxxx

That is a non-green-dot console and so yes it's unsurprising that it's OK. Where there's controversy is about the green-dot console hardware, not the firmware.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK