Author Topic: VP2 v3 Firmware updates now posted  (Read 48070 times)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
VP2 v3 Firmware updates now posted
« on: February 28, 2013, 04:16:13 PM »
VP2 v3 Firmware updates now posted in the usual place:

http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather/downloads/index.asp

Can't see Vue as yet
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: VP2 v3 Firmware updates now posted
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 04:21:29 PM »
Obvious question:  what happens if I'm using an old Davis logger, and install this firmware?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 04:28:23 PM »
Obvious question:  what happens if I'm using an old Davis logger, and install this firmware?

Don't know - won't have a chance to try it until tomorrow.

However: I surmise from the lack of warnings posted that there will be no adverse experiences with older loggers. Just my guess of course.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 04:29:30 PM »
I think I will wait till someone else bricks their system first.  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 04:38:20 PM »
I just spoke with Davis tech support and they said the new firmware version IS backwards compatible with existing data loggers.

So, who wants to be the guinea pig?
CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 05:00:27 PM »
I just spoke with Davis tech support and they said the new firmware version IS backwards compatible with existing data loggers.

Note that the new version is 3.12

Did you perhaps ask for details?  There are several possible interpretations of "compatible".  For instance:

A.  Version 3.12 firmware no longer checks for the logger version, so it works with anything.
B.  3.12 Installer checks for logger version, and installs "non-checking" firmware for old Davis logger, but not for 3rd party loggers.
C.  3.12 Installer checks for "new logger" and installs "non-checking" firmware if it's not a new logger.
D.  3.12 Installer will install through an old logger on an old console, but then firmware will not work (or will work) without new logger.
E.  Various alternatives if the console already has 3.0 firmware, but it's an old logger (perhaps this is impossible).
F.  I can think of other permutations.....

Clearly, without some statement from Davis, we'll be waiting for several tests.

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 05:09:41 PM »
Anyone know why the upgrade?  Mine has been working fine with the older version.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 05:18:17 PM »
From teh release notes:

Firmware version 3.12
Fixed a bug in 3.00 that did not allow the ET alarm to be cleared.

There were a whack of fixes in 3.0
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 05:44:09 PM »
Dale,  I specifically asked about the datalogger compatibility issue the Davis rep said and I quote: "it's complicated" he really didn't want to get into specifics, and without elaborating said that old "DAVIS" loggers will work with fine the new firmware version.

So, for whatever it's worth, I went ahead and gave it a shot and upgraded.

I have an "old" 6510 serial logger and can announce that it works fine with the 3.12 firmware.

Upgraded from 1.91.

The only thing anyone will need to do is if currently using a COM port above port 9, you would have to reset the port to 9 or lower in your device manager, otherwise the davis firmware updater will not be able to find the datalogger.

The only reason I went ahead and upgraded was if it  did crap out, I was planning on taking my station down to ship it out for the $100 refurb anyway.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:48:06 PM by JACK10562 »
CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 05:46:19 PM »
My console firmware is v1.80 and everything works fine. If it 'ain't broke...

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 05:55:38 PM »
Dale,  I specifically asked about the datalogger compatibility issue the Davis rep said and I quote: "it's complicated" he really didn't want to get into specifics, and without elaborating said that old "DAVIS" loggers will work with fine the new firmware version.

Thanks for trying.   :-)

And, of course, Davis would understand that they made it complicated. 

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 06:01:49 PM »
Having looked at the fixes in v3.0 this one would be useful...

Added leading zero to temp readings between -1.0 and 1.0.

So I may update in a few days.

Offline RainmanWeather

• Senior Contributor
    • RainmanWeather
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 06:47:10 PM »
I can report that the SLOweather DSI-01 Does work with this firmware release!  =D>

VP2 Wireless FW 1.9 > 3.12, update was done on WeatherLinkIP that I believe is Green dot, mfg code F10112A54
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 06:52:43 PM by RainmanWeather »

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 07:18:57 PM »
I can report that the SLOweather DSI-01 Does work with this firmware release!  =D>

VP2 Wireless FW 1.9 > 3.12, update was done on WeatherLinkIP that I believe is Green dot, mfg code F10112A54

I'll be darned.  Sounds to me like they saw the error in their ways with the "It's complicated" response, did the right thing, and dropped the logger check.  Good stuff!!!  My guess is the heat put on by the bad press and reverse engineering effort here probably didn't hurt.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 07:21:35 PM »

That is very interesting, and probably conclusive.

Offline MarvC

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 08:24:48 PM »
I felt the need.... Just completed the upgrade on my VP2 console. No issues in upgrading process or operations of the console. Just re-verified operations of the console and system all appears
OK. I have the newer Davis USB weatherlink installed on the console communicating serially on Comm 3.
Seems the forecast requires 3 hours of data to begin predicting again! Cumulus, WU and my FTP site all working fine!

Thanks,
MarvC
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:32:05 PM by MarvC »

Offline n7xrd

• Forecaster
    • Kamiah Weather
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 09:01:30 PM »
How do i tell what firmware I have? Figured it out and did the update all is well so far! =D>
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 09:28:20 PM by n7xrd »

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 10:54:56 PM »
Firmware update installed and no bright flashes or smoke. I call that success.
https://joesweather.info
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
WeatherLink Live

Offline VaWx

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 11:33:47 PM »
Successful upgrade and everything is working like before! Only thing I need to change is my console's time. It's two minutes off now.  :evil:

This firmware fixed a major issue a lot of Cumulus users were having. (Including myself)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:36:30 PM by VaWx »

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 04:21:39 AM »
This firmware fixed a major issue a lot of Cumulus users were having. (Including myself)

Could you elaborate please? I've been using Cumulus for nearly 4 years and I'm not aware of any issues with my current firmware of 1.80.

LATER: Ignore that request. I've just caught up with the 'Data Input appears to have stopped' thread on Sandaysoft. Seems the latest firmware has fixed the problem.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:34:45 AM by Ray Proudfoot »

Offline ericfynne

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 05:51:29 AM »
I've been following that thread myself with interest, as I'm considering upgrading to a Davis.

My understanding: Davis apparently introduced the problem (where the console would stop responding for a minute or more) in version 3.0 and have apparently fixed it in version 3.12. The problem apparently affected Cumulus because of the way it speaks to the console, using the Davis VantagePro.dll.

Eric

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 06:43:05 AM »
Hi Eric,

That's why it never affected my VP2 then. I'm currently on v1.8 and will probably update in the next few days.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 07:14:22 AM »
I upgraded both my ip logger console  and my serial to usb envoy .  I disconnected each  when I upgraded the other one  so as not to have the upgrade accidently go to the wrong  instrument.   It went as planned and I have no difficulty.

The only  odd thing is for me that the consoles didn't auto reboot and I had to do that manually, wait out the resync, but the update did work fine for me.   The real important thing is to be sure to download and double check that you are updating the right item with the right update and then just let it update on its own, no surfing the net while the update goes.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 12:49:24 PM »
Obvious question:  what happens if I'm using an old Davis logger, and install this firmware?

Don't know - won't have a chance to try it until tomorrow.

However: I surmise from the lack of warnings posted that there will be no adverse experiences with older loggers. Just my guess of course.

John, I want you to know that I really appreciate your efforts to communicate with us, and to supply us with the best information that you have.   You have been extremely careful to state what you know, and to quote what you have been told, and to identify your thoughts and assumptions.

Occasionally you're going to have incomplete (or slightly misleading) information from Davis.  And you (or we or both) will perhaps draw slightly incorrect conclusions.  That's not our (collective) fault.  

The same is true of people who ask questions of Davis support, and report the answers here.  

It appears, from experimental evidence reported here, that there is no major functional difference between old and new VP2 consoles, nor between old and new loggers.  That is, all consoles will accept firmware version 3.12, and with that firmware version, will work with all loggers (including 3rd party loggers).  [Yes, I'm aware that the total set of permutations has not yet been reported, so I'm jumping to a conclusion].

Just wanted to emphasize that I'm glad you try to keep us informed.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 12:57:33 PM by dalecoy »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 12:54:38 PM »
Residual question:

If someone has a VP2 console that is running Firmware Version 3.00; and
If they have an old (non-green-dot) logger or a 3rd party logger...
...and therefore, the combination is not functional because the console won't communicate with the logger....

Can that combination be used to upgrade to Firmware Version 3.12?

...[Which would then be fully functional]

anything