Author Topic: VP2 Temp/Hum sensor cable length  (Read 3210 times)

Offline north of 60

• Contributor
VP2 Temp/Hum sensor cable length
« on: December 28, 2011, 03:27:19 PM »
How long can the VP2 Temp/hum sensor cable be lengthened? 

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
Re: VP2 Temp/Hum sensor cable length
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 03:52:02 PM »
I'm pretty sure the sensor cable can be extended up to 300 feet.
CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 04:11:22 PM »
I'm pretty sure the sensor cable can be extended up to 300 feet.

That's for the old WMII style sensor.

A lot of searching on the Davis site revealed nothing.

I called Davis Tech Support and posited separating a 6382 wireless temp/hum station by extending the cable. After 17 minutes (15 on hold while the techette presumably asked someone with more experience), the answer is "not more than a few feet", due to the digital nature of the sensor data.

If it were me, I'd start extending it and see what happens. It would be good to add to our knowledge base.

OTOH, North of 60, in one of my threads about extending cables, you said;

I would think folks would use the cables that come with the station instead of aftermarket cables...
:)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 04:14:10 PM »
How long can the VP2 Temp/hum sensor cable be lengthened? 

It's definitely not recommended to lengthen it at all (assuming you're talking about the digital .166 sensor part) - the T/H inputs on the SIM board are apparently not stabilised for compatibility with a long cable. Probably a short extension would be OK, but no longer than is necessary.

Why would you want to lengthen it? If it's to separate rain gauge from radiation shield then keep the SIM with the shield and lengthen the rain gauge cable - that's much more compatible with longer cables
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline north of 60

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 04:50:39 PM »
I want to put the ISS solar panel up on roof for maximum sun exposure and have temp/hum sensor 5 feet off ground on post where it is now.  the anemometer cable is long enough to do so,  the rain gauge doesn't work most of time,  very underreporting rainfall,  I wasn't worried about extending it at the moment till i get it fixed with new reed switch.
I couldn't find anything on davis website cable extentions for the vp2 temp/hum sensor.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 04:57:33 PM »
Get a replacement Davis ISS cover for the wired ISS (no solar cells) and then remote the solar panel cover.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 05:06:00 PM by SLOweather »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 05:25:37 PM »
I want to put the ISS solar panel up on roof for maximum sun exposure ...

Sounds like a lot of trouble to go to just to get more solar on the panel. Is this just a passive shield (ie not FARS)? If so then wouldn't it be simpler just to replace the ISS battery every 9-12 months? With no sun the battery should last 6-8 months and it doesn't take a lot of light (even north light) to extend that to 9-12 months. If the battery is not lasting at least 6-8 months then there's something else wrong.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 06:33:20 PM »
I changed a 6372 Temp. station into a 6382 T/H station and I extended the sensor cable by about 6 feet using outdoor, 6 conductor telephone cable, waterproof connections that are enclosed or hidden and I have not had any problems. This station also is solar powered using the single panel ISS cover taken from the ISS when I installed the DFARS. The solar panel for the converted 6382 is about 12 feet away from the Transmitter, again with no issues.    Jack     One more thing, I have the T/H sensor housed in a Davis 7714 radiation shield
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 06:40:03 PM by moehoward4 »
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline north of 60

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 08:33:04 PM »
I would extend the wire that goes from the ISS board to the solar panel?  just route it up through where the sensors come in to the board?

Get a replacement Davis ISS cover for the wired ISS (no solar cells) and then remote the solar panel cover.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 03:06:40 PM »
Sure. That's easy.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 04:53:57 PM »
I went right to the source (Sensirion, the makers of the SHT11 chip) tech support on another matter. While I was talking to him, I asked about max distance from the SHT11 to the microprocessor.

He said that 3-10 meters is fine.

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 05:22:12 PM »
I have a 6382 Temp/Hum station on my dining room floor with 75 ft of coiled, ratty, cat chewed, six wire, flat, phone cable and a coupler connecting the sensor and the SIM box.  The set up is testing the reliability of a poor quality, extension cable for the temp/hum sensor.  So far it is operating without data drops.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

anything