Author Topic: Wireless vs. Cabled & Logger Difference  (Read 13386 times)

Offline HighlandBurne

Wireless vs. Cabled & Logger Difference
« on: December 13, 2011, 06:06:56 AM »
I thank everyone for their patience with me on these annoying questions.
I was looking at the vue, and then decided I would probably go with the VP2 because of the ability to add more sensors (also bigger rain gauge and separate anemometer).  Then I saw the price on the VP2 cabled was much cheaper.  But, as I understand it, that it would reduce my ability for add on sensors, and just pretty much make my system like the Vue.  Is this right?   I guess another option would be to get the Vue with a VP2 console and that would give me the ability for add INS, correct?
Finally, on loggers, I thought I saw somewhere that the IP logger has reduced function over the USB, or is this not true.
Many Thanks,
Nathaniel

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
Re: Wireless vs. Cabled & Logger Difference
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 06:39:46 AM »
Cabled will still support solar & UV which is not part of the Vue but of course the VP2 cabled version is limited to what the wireless verison can support but then you have obviously noted the price difference related to this. Also it's not so much a console limitation but a function of the ISS.

Now where ever you saw that the IP logger has reduced function over the USB, then you saw wrong. If you want some advise then forget the USB logger, regardless of the price. 

Offline orchidman

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 08:32:08 AM »
If you want some advise then forget the USB logger, regardless of the price. 

Flag,  Please expand  :???:
Gary
Oklahoma City, OK
Davis Advantage Pro2, WL, VWS, WU KOKOKLAH58

Offline HighlandBurne

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 08:39:30 AM »
now I am more confused...
What are the limitations of the cabled VP2 vs. Wireless
-Nathaniel

Offline HighlandBurne

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 08:41:40 AM »
also, is there a difference in the base station functionality?
-Nathaniel

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 09:00:53 AM »
-Nathaniel

AFAIK the consoles are the same, but of course you cannot add the extra wireless sensors to a wired station.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 03:54:08 PM »

Flag,  Please expand  :???:

USB logger & associated drivers have some failings which make it less than reliable compared to the serial, APRS and IP. Simply if you want good reliability then typically use something other than a USB logger. 

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 03:57:58 PM »
-Nathaniel

AFAIK the consoles are the same, but of course you cannot add the extra wireless sensors to a wired station.

Yes the consoles typically display the same. Similar to no extra wireless sensors you cannot add extra consoles to a wired station.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 04:34:48 PM »
Yes the consoles typically display the same. Similar to no extra wireless sensors you cannot add extra consoles to a wired station.

Sure you can. Several of us have done so.

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 05:00:02 PM »

And to that extent basically anything can be done but really the proper response here for everyday users other than "us" is NO and you would have to appreciate this should be the response in this context.

Offline orchidman

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 06:45:25 PM »
USB logger & associated drivers have some failings which make it less than reliable compared to the serial, APRS and IP. Simply if you want good reliability then typically use something other than a USB logger. 
Thank you.  I will be ordering in about one week and am working on the final details/options.
Gary
Oklahoma City, OK
Davis Advantage Pro2, WL, VWS, WU KOKOKLAH58

Offline 4wd

• Forecaster
    • North York Moors weather
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 07:10:28 PM »
I would be seriously worried about lightning strikes with the wired version.
You can get a lightning arrestor I think but it would still bother me especially if a storm hit during the day when no-one was home.

The continual fuss about the Serial being preferable to USB is well past sell-by date.
With the latest drivers I'd be very surprised if you have a problem.
My USB logger has been no problem at all, for example at the moment it's run to Weather-Display continuously for almost a month without missing a beat.

Offline HighlandBurne

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 07:50:06 PM »
I would be seriously worried about lightning strikes with the wired version.

That sounds like a very good reason to me.
-Nathaniel

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 10:56:32 PM »

Absolutely!

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 11:47:33 PM »
Are we talking about connecting a Temp/humid, Leaf/soil station? Yes you can. A close look at the the transmitters, they have pretty much the same board with a few exceptions. All transmitters have a cable jack next to the battery. All transmitters can work with the cabled consoles but only one at a time provided the station is configured the right way like a leaf/soil station has this same cable jack inside. if a leaf wetness soil moisture/temperature stations is used you can cable it to the console and in the console the station is configured as a LEAF/SOIL station instead of an ISS.

Flag,  Please expand  :???:

I've never had any issues with my USB logger at least not in a while. I think Davis is slowly fixing this issue. For some who don't have serial ports adding a serial to USB adaptor maybe an unnessisary expense. The USB logger maybe the only choice. I may have chosen the serial if my computer had serial ports.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 11:56:23 PM »
For me:  USB  logger - no issue whatsoever.  Ever.  Supercap - failed after just over two years.  POS design.   ](*,)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 03:51:53 AM »
Are we talking about connecting a Temp/humid, Leaf/soil station? Yes you can. A close look at the the transmitters, they have pretty much the same board with a few exceptions. All transmitters have a cable jack next to the battery. All transmitters can work with the cabled consoles but only one at a time provided the station is configured the right way like a leaf/soil station has this same cable jack inside. if a leaf wetness soil moisture/temperature stations is used you can cable it to the console and in the console the station is configured as a LEAF/SOIL station instead of an ISS.

Just to confirm what I am reading, are you suggesting connecting a cabled console to a wireless transmitter?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 10:25:10 AM »
For me:  USB  logger - no issue whatsoever.  Ever.  Supercap - failed after just over two years.  POS design.   ](*,)

Perhaps cutting through some confusion:

1.  One advantage of the cabled system over the wireless system, is that the cabled system has no supercap to fail.

2.  The cabled system and the wireless system can each have more than one console.

3.  The cabled system can only have one outside "transmitter".

4.  A very small number of people have had trouble with the USB logger.  Almost nobody has recently had problems with the USB logger when simply using WeatherLink software.  [But, if the computer has a serial port, the serial logger is generally recommended].  Of course, the IP logger is the third alternative.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 11:33:19 AM »
4.  A very small number of people have had trouble with the USB logger.  Almost nobody has recently had problems with the USB logger when simply using WeatherLink software. 

FWIW I'm amending my view on this slightly. I'd certainly agree it's true that relatively few users recently have problems of port drop-out with the USB logger.

But I'm thinking that the USB logger is more error-prone at the set-up stage and sometimes in use. Less knowledgeable users do trip over the USBX vs VCP mode issue (especially if they might have first set up a system with the WL software and used USBX mode, but then wanted to try some other software that's not compatible with USBX such as WD). It's far more common to get support calls from USB users than SER users, even allowing for the much greater sales of USB.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 11:35:44 AM »
I gotta agree with you John.  The instructions for new users on the USB side is bl00dy confusing.

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2011, 11:57:39 AM »

Just to confirm what I am reading, are you suggesting connecting a cabled console to a wireless transmitter?
Do you have any extra stations on your Pro2? If so I advise you to look inside to see what I'm talking about. All transmitters have a cable jack to a cabled console. If you don't want to look for your self I did the honers of providing a picture and highlighting the item I'm talking about.

Also, in the future you might want to do some more research before questioning someone else.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 12:01:38 PM by mckTXaws »
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 12:43:33 PM »
Also, in the future you might want to do some more research before questioning someone else.

Hmm, but I'm puzzled about how these supplementary transmitters might cable back to the single jack on the cabled console.

It couldn't be that the transmitter jack is actually for configuring/updating the Tx firmware could it? And nothing to do with an onward connection to a cable console?

Pot, kettle, methinks.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 12:48:27 PM »

Hmm, but I'm puzzled about how these supplementary transmitters might cable back to the single jack on the cabled console.

It couldn't be that the transmitter jack is actually for configuring/updating the Tx firmware could it? And nothing to do with an onward connection to a cable console?

Pot, kettle, methinks.

I believe he clearly stated that you can connect one of these devices to the console.  Just one device to one single jack.

[I have no particular subject knowledge here, just reading what he said ]

« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 12:51:26 PM by dalecoy »

Offline HighlandBurne

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 12:56:46 PM »
Any rumors or news if a Vantage Pro 3 is due out anytime soon?
-Nathaniel

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 01:31:17 PM »
Any rumors or news if a Vantage Pro 3 is due out anytime soon?
-Nathaniel

Davis generally doesn't announce this sort of thing much ahead of time. With the Vantage Connect problems, which is almost a year overdue, I'd bet they are really gun shy about announcing too soon.