Author Topic: Skywarn Forum  (Read 4455 times)

Offline kruzzen

• Weather Communities Network
Skywarn Forum
« on: January 12, 2012, 05:40:47 AM »

Skywarn Forum, a free message forum dedicated to Skywarn Storm Spotters. Skywarn Storm Spotters are volunteers who risk their lives by observing tornadoes and other severe weather at close range and then reporting it to result in quicker public warnings so that live are saved.

The difference between Skywarn Forum and other related Skywarn communities is that we are completely advertisement-free and we allow signature links.

Offline sunsluv

• Pamela - near Cleator, AZ in the Bradshaw Mts.
  • I LOVE my new Davis Vantage VUE
    • My Wunderground weather station KAZMAYER4 in Arizona
Re: Skywarn Forum
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 08:14:17 PM »
Thanks for sharing. I just joined today.  :grin:

Offline kruzzen

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 04:55:55 PM »
Thanks for sharing. I just joined today.  :grin:

Great to have you :) Would love to get more spotters on board :D lots a great things planned!

Offline kruzzen

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 08:59:17 PM »
Many new updated have been added, new logo and them edits, a chat box was added and new sections. All spotters, chasers and weather lovers welcome :)

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 09:20:25 AM »
I am a spotter out of TSA (Tulsa WFO) and joined several months ago.  Not a big fan, however, of having to take a quiz to expand what you can and cannot do on the site if you're already a trained spotter.

Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100

Offline sacreyweather

• Saline Weather - VP2 Pro
  • Forecaster
    • Saline Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 07:31:40 PM »
I will second what BigOkie said about having to take a quiz, since I am already am a Spotter in the LZK (Little Rock WFO) area.

CWOP: D2073, GR2AE, GR3, WD, PWS/weatherforyou.com, WxWeb, CoCoRaHS: AR-SL-16
Saline Weather
Saline Weather on Twitter

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • unnamed weather station, Boltek, Win7 Pro
    • TiggrWeather
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 03:03:21 AM »
After going through the NWS class in PHX and getting my ID I see no reason to have to take your 'quiz'.
John
W7JKG
BUY FROM AMAZON HERE... Thank You! :-)

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 06:59:02 AM »
I would imagine the 'quiz' is to determine eligibility to see if you're worthy for admission to the site.  An entrance examination so-to-speak.

Offline kruzzen

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 01:40:28 PM »
Hello folks,

The quiz is actually to prevent spam :) The question and answer method is one of the most successful ways to prevent spam bots from joining. If I disabled it, I'd be constantly dealing with spam as CAPTCHA and other methods are broken these days. Feel free to google the answer, I do apologize for this but I just can't stand spam :P

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 02:31:54 PM »
Hello folks,

The quiz is actually to prevent spam :) The question and answer method is one of the most successful ways to prevent spam bots from joining. If I disabled it, I'd be constantly dealing with spam as CAPTCHA and other methods are broken these days. Feel free to google the answer, I do apologize for this but I just can't stand spam :P

The problem is the length of time the quiz takes, not necessarily the quiz itself.  If the quiz was a little less involved it may not be so problematic.  However, taking an hour to gain access to your forum, especially for those who are trained spotters, is not going to gain much.

And I run forums.  There are other methods outside of Captcha that can trap bots and spam.

Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100

Offline kruzzen

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 10:00:16 PM »
Hello folks,

The problem is the length of time the quiz takes, not necessarily the quiz itself.  If the quiz was a little less involved it may not be so problematic.  However, taking an hour to gain access to your forum, especially for those who are trained spotters, is not going to gain much.

And I run forums.  There are other methods outside of Captcha that can trap bots and spam.

Hello there,

Thank you for your comments :)

Our current security questions are as follows:

Q: What does NWS mean? (three words, all lowercase)
Correct Answer: national weather service

Q: What CITY is the Storm Prediction Center located in? (one word, lowercase)
Correct Answer: norman

Q: What does NOAA stand for? (FOUR words, lowercase)
Correct Answer: national oceanic atmospheric administration

Guests only have to answer ONE of these questions when joining, the questions display randomly. These questions are extremely simple and I made them to be easily found on page #1 of Google. I don't understand why it is taking a long time for some of you to answer one easy question, especially if you are a trained spotter. Please don't take offense to that, its just my observation, as they are weather-related questions.

I have run message forums for over 15 years. In my experience, question and answer is the best anti-spam method there is. If you think there is something better, please tell me it and we can prove it. :) As a forum software developer, I also test many different methods and very rarely do I find one that works, besides the question one.

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 11:11:27 PM »
Hello folks,

Hello there,

Guests only have to answer ONE of these questions when joining, the questions display randomly. These questions are extremely simple and I made them to be easily found on page #1 of Google. I don't understand why it is taking a long time for some of you to answer one easy question, especially if you are a trained spotter. Please don't take offense to that, its just my observation, as they are weather-related questions.

I have run message forums for over 15 years. In my experience, question and answer is the best anti-spam method there is. If you think there is something better, please tell me it and we can prove it. :) As a forum software developer, I also test many different methods and very rarely do I find one that works, besides the question one.

Sorry about the confusion...I am also signed up for another forum that requires you to take an extensive quiz just to submit reports (spotternetwork). 

My apologies, I confused you with that site.

Carry on!

Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100

Offline kruzzen

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 01:24:40 AM »
Hello folks,

Hello there,

Sorry about the confusion...I am also signed up for another forum that requires you to take an extensive quiz just to submit reports (spotternetwork). 

My apologies, I confused you with that site.

Carry on!

You know, I was actually thinking about spotter network and wondering if maybe it was what you meant.

No problem at all though my friend :) I am glad we got it all worked out.

As far as the test on spotter network though, SN isn't affiliated with Skywarn at all, they are like their own private spotter network. I can understand why they want a test but I just don't understand how they help the public exactly, as being spotters, I mean the homepage doesn't show their spotter reports from what I can tell. I have never really understood what SN is exactly.

Have a good night :)

anything