Author Topic: How to mount STC800 solar panel with WGR800 wind sensor (from WMR88A station) ?  (Read 5929 times)

Offline camejia

Hi,

I have a WGR800 wind sensor as part of the WMR88A station, and just bought a STC800 solar panel to power it.  I cannot figure out how the mounting pieces attach.  I have the wind sensor attached to a pole with a U-bolt.  My current solution is to attach the solar panel arm to the same pole with cable ties.  However, the wind sensor, the wind sensor mounting arm and the solar panel mounting arm are all made from molded plastic with interlocking "teeth", but I can't figure out how they're supposed to work together.  If anyone else has this configuration, I would appreciate any information or a photo on how to attach the pieces.  I called Oregon Scientific Customer Service, but they were unable to answer my question because they don't have the parts available for experimentation.

On a related note, the Customer Service representative told me I should remove the batteries when I connect the solar panel, but that's not right is it?  (Same Customer Service rep initially told me this solar panel is not compatible with my existing hardware, though the User's Manual says it is.)

Thanks in advance for any information,
--Chris

Offline FrozenPenguin

• FrozenPenguin

I don't have the WMR88, but the WMR200...but as far as I can tell, the anemometer is the same model, so that solar panel should work with no problem.   And no, you do not remove the batteries to use the panel, it's there to "help" the batteries.    As far as attaching the panel;  if the panel didn't come with the WMR88A by default, I would assume there is no included attachment for it, unless you purchased it.   Mine is attached on top of the "arm" which attaches to the top part of the connector piece (the one with the 3 wires attached to it) on the pole.   Not the best image in the world, but below should give you an idea.

Thomas

Oregon Scientific WMR200A + UV

Weather Site | | CWOP:7791

Offline camejia

Thomas,
Thanks for your quick response, and for the photo.  I think you're right that since the solar panel didn't come with the WMR88A by default, I just need to improvise.
--Chris

Offline FrozenPenguin

• FrozenPenguin

No problem.  :D  I'm sure you can find a workaround, worse case..tape it!  :lol:
Oregon Scientific WMR200A + UV

Weather Site | | CWOP:7791

anything