Author Topic: Trying to decide on what station to buy.  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Bjl95mustang

Trying to decide on what station to buy.
« on: October 23, 2018, 10:14:08 AM »
I’m looking to buy some weather stations for work to track weather at our locations.

I see that Ambient has various configuration with the same 3 monitoring stations.

I’ve been looking at reviews and they are all pretty good. Besides the base station features what is their best monitoring station?

The overall goal is reliability, WiFi is preferred over ip, capacitor instead of batteries.

Ws-8478
Ws-2000
Ws-1000 series. Looks to have various options.

Thanks,
Brandon
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 10:31:42 AM by Bjl95mustang »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Trying to decide on what station to buy.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 10:40:23 AM »
The flagship Ambient Weather hardware today is the WS-2000. It is the newest.

The previous version was the WS-2902A and is still a current model a bit less price because the display is not as nice. The difference is just the display as the outdoor unit is exactly the same part. The WS-2902A is WiFi only and requires a smartphone to configure ...but is not required thereafter. The WS-2000 can be configured directly on the display console itself. The WS-2000 display is much nicer looking and is able to be viewed at different angles, where the WS-2902A display requires that you look at it a just the right angle to see the numbers or it gets washed out. The WS-2000 also supports extra sensors where the WS-2902A does not. The WS-2000 display console also supports an SD card and has internal logging where the WS-2902A display is just for live data and keeps some historical stats for high/low and rain totals, but not a full historical record. With the WS-2902A all your historical is just online with the different services. You can can have multiple displays with either model. You can even mix both types of displays with the same outdoor unit. So essentially you can upgrade a WS-2902A into a WS-2000 just by buying the WS-2000 display (but it isn't for sale separately yet).

The WS-8478 has not been a popular seller at all. Its main advantage was that it could support extra sensors and it was released around the same time as the WS-2902. But now with the WS-2000 there really is no point to the WS-8478 and it lacks solar radiation (it has UV index only).

The WS-1000 series is a prior generation. The newer WS-2xxx series is much much more reliable and uses better sensors.

All of these use super capacitors with a solar panel for charging. But they also have a compartment for Alkaline or Lithium AA batteries (non-rechargeable) for backup for those times when there isn't enough solar power to keep the super capacitor going.

Besides these that we have discussed there is also the WS-1550-IP.  That is basically the same newest outdoor sensor array with no display console and instead it uses a device called the ObserverIP which requires Ethernet connection. The existence of the ObserverIP is not something to be dismissed so quickly because it isn't a display. The ObserverIP allows another device on the network to read live data from it. This could be a Meteobridge or a computer running one of various weather software programs to then allow you to do much more with your data, like create your own website, or send the data to other online services, or backup your data to SQL database. The good news is that just like you can add multiple displays to the WS-2xxxx models you can also add an ObserverIP and give those stations the ability to have these extra features too. The ObserverIP requires an extra indoor sensor model WS-1000-BTH for pressure, temperature and humidity.

So no matter which you initially go with WS-2000, WS-2902A, or WS-1550-IP you can mix and match and upgrade any one of those to become more by adding the missing parts. Therefore there is no better one between the WS-2000 and the WS-1550-IP as they have different capabilities....but you can more easily today give the WS-2000 the WS-1550-IP capabilities because you can buy the ObserverIP, but for now you can't buy a WS-2000 display console to add to the WS-1550-IP (but hopefully soon you will).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 10:43:23 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 10:41:14 AM »
I’m looking to buy some weather stations for work to track weather at our locations.

I see that Ambient has various configuration with the same 3 monitoring stations.

I’ve been looking at reviews and they are all pretty good. Besides the base station features what is their best monitoring station?

The overall goal is reliability, WiFi is preferred over ip, capacitor instead of batteries.

Ws-8478
Ws-2000
Ws-1000 series. Looks to have various options.

Thanks,
Brandon

WS-8478 and WS-100x use the older Falcon sensor.  I think most would agree that the newer Osprey sensor is a better sensor suite.  (4.5 stars on Amazon based on the WS-2902 kit). Osprey uses solar to charge a super cap with battery backup.

Since you want WiFi vs IP that narrows is down to the WS-2000 or WS-2902.  The WS-2000 is easier to set up WiFi and has a much nicer display console. If the console isn't a big deal for you, the WS-2902 is about $70 cheaper.

Offline Bjl95mustang

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 10:46:53 AM »
Thank you all for the quick replies.

I dug through the form for a bit and it has a lot of great info.

Thank your for explaining the differences in the 3 sensor stations. That helped narrow down Our choices.

anything