Author Topic: Davis Vantage Pro 2 & Weather underground status  (Read 973 times)

Offline Ken7

Davis Vantage Pro 2 & Weather underground status
« on: September 01, 2018, 08:04:48 AM »
I’m new here and wasn’t sure where to place this. I’ve got a 24/7 fan aspirated Davis Vantage Pro 2 that reports to WU. For the life of me I can’t figure out why it hasn’t earned the ‘gold star’ status for QC. I know its readings and reporting (via a Meteobridge Pro) are accurate. Yet I see other stations, with the gold star status, that are in the sun and show readings 5-6 degrees higher than most neighboring stations. Others may have barometric pressure readings that are also whacky, yet they too have the gold star.

I know this sounds picky, but it kind of bugs me in that I take care in my station setup. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
Re: Davis Vantage Pro 2 & Weather underground status
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 08:12:51 AM »
You would do better putting this in weather related organizations and post in weather underground. Just go down towards the bottom of the forum listings.

Offline Ken7

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 08:14:47 AM »
Thanks much, Jerry.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 08:15:30 AM »
If it will help you to sleep at night, feel free to grab one of my WU gold stars below.....  :lol:
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Ken7

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 08:24:16 AM »
LOL! You know, I do feel better. ;)

BTW, you’ve only got 5 left now.

Offline StormCapture

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 07:59:51 PM »
The stars have nothing to Do with accuracy of weather data, it’s merely there that identifies weather stations that have repeoted for I believe a full 5 days continuous without any software issue or internet issue that may stop weather data being uploaded to WU’s servers.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 08:39:35 PM »
The stars have nothing to Do with accuracy of weather data, it’s merely there that identifies weather stations that have repeoted for I believe a full 5 days continuous without any software issue or internet issue that may stop weather data being uploaded to WU’s servers.
Five days is a joke also (certainly ain't data quality), it's completely arbitrary. I've been on and off line more times than I can count since they started this and I get my star back instantly.
Anyone who loses sleep over this deserves to lose sleep over this.

Offline StormCapture

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 08:53:49 PM »
Five days is a joke also (certainly ain't data quality), it's completely arbitrary. I've been on and off line more times than I can count since they started this and I get my star back instantly.
Anyone who loses sleep over this deserves to lose sleep over this.

Yer it doesn’t bother me, as long as I can see my weather data from wherever and others can I don’t care, after all, it is a weather data sharing network and not who has a gold star or not

Offline Ken7

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 09:27:33 PM »

I’ve certainly been online, uninterrupted, for well over 5 days and no star here. But as you say, it obviously has nothing to do with the quality of the data.

Offline archae86

• Senior Contributor
    • LynxStoll weather
Party line on Gold Star
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 11:48:41 AM »
The Weather Channel owns Weather Underground (since 2012) and this page on their site makes assertions as to the meaning of WunderGround Gold Star status.

So they clearly say it is not just five days of continuous reporting to qualify.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 12:14:29 PM »
And they obviously do not follow their own directive.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Party line on Gold Star
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 06:04:39 PM »
this page

So they clearly say it is not just five days of continuous reporting to qualify.
:lol: That's why this beauty just down the street from me has had this wonderfully accurate data for years. Golden....
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KAZTUCSO217#history

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 11:07:44 PM »
I have two PWSs (both Davis VP2s) that report to WU. My oldest one has the goldstar designation but the newer one (it even has the 24 hour fan) does not and has been uploading to WU for about 3 months now. I complained to WU support via this Forum and was informed that assigning goldstars is now a work in progress. Until they figure this out, my newer station won’t have the “prestigious” and highly coveted gold star award.

In short, get over it. I have to give WU credit that they have been addressing many other WU issues—more important than this one AND fixing them. Many thought WU would blow these isues off but they did not. Give them time.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 11:24:13 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Re: Party line on Gold Star
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2018, 07:07:14 AM »
The Weather Channel owns Weather Underground (since 2012) and this page on their site makes assertions as to the meaning of WunderGround Gold Star status.

Just to clarify, TWC does not own WU. Byron Allen bought TWC in March of this year. The purchase did not include weather.com, weatherunderground.com, or the TWC app.
Those are owned by a division of IBM called  The Weather Company.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/weather-channel-tv-network-sold-byron-allens-entertainment-studios-1096547 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 07:09:38 AM by ocala »
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll