Author Topic: Wireless Temperature Station Hybrid  (Read 458 times)

Offline Herbaldew

Wireless Temperature Station Hybrid
« on: August 28, 2018, 11:27:49 AM »
Hi,

Instead of a:  Davis 6372 – Wireless Temperature Station

Can I use a:  Davis 6332 – Anemometer Transmitter Kit and plug in a:  Davis 6477 – Temperature Probe with RJ Connector?

This combo only costs around $3 more than the 6372 and would add solar power.

*VP2+ and I already have a 6332 for my wind (I'm not talking about plugging the probe into it, I know I would have to buy another 6332).

Tech support said it would work, but it was not a confidence inspiring conversation with them :(

Thanks

Edit:  After more research I now see that the 6372 comes with a stainless sensor - the 6477 I reference is plastic and costs nearly 1/3 as much thus explaining why it plus the 6332 + the 6477 cost nearly the same as the 6372.  I have also verified with a distibutor that my desired configuration will work.  Now I have to decide if the stainless is worth ~$20 more to me.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 01:52:45 PM by Herbaldew »
VP2+ Wireless - 24 hr FARS

Offline StormCapture

Re: Wireless Temperature Station Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 05:45:34 AM »
It should work, as the Anemometer transmitter is technically the same as the SIM that is used for the full ISS, all you will have to do is put that on Transmitter ID as 3 and when you set it up in the console, Transmitter 3 will have to be TEMP, and you can access that by pressing the TEMP button on the console a few times and it will display in the centre bar. If you wish to capture this on the data logger, you will need to tell your data logger via WeatherLink that you are also receiving data from an external TEMP station.

I have been mucking around with the consoles and I only have the ISS SIM, no other transmitter (excluding the Soil/Temp Station) and I have set one of my consoles to read WIND instead of VP2 ISS on the Vue console,  so the console thinks it is listening to an Anemometer Transmitter when it is in fact, listening out to the ISS SIM Transmitter.

Regarding the Probes, the Stainless Steel probe are far more accurate for temperature compared to the original black probe. To me, black was a poor choice as it tends to keep in radiant heat, I have tested both probes on my Pro 2 both 30cm apart over the course of the day in the shade and the stainless steel probe read 0.1 off the main Temp/Hum sensor the ISS is currently using, while the black probe was almost 1c out.

Offline Herbaldew

Re: Wireless Temperature Station Hybrid
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 02:50:49 PM »
Thanks for the input.

I just installed it and it does work perfectly.  The specs on the plastic and stainless probes are identical so I bought the plastic one.  I just verified that is is accurate - it is installed under water and out of the sun as well so maybe that is why.
VP2+ Wireless - 24 hr FARS