Author Topic: Barani pro passive shield  (Read 39670 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Barani pro passive shield
« Reply #175 on: September 10, 2018, 04:26:31 PM »
I read that also as paint dries the VOC's diminish.  I used a hair dryer inside shield and let run for 20 minutes or so helping the drying process.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #176 on: September 13, 2018, 08:52:59 PM »
Here are today's graphs Pro vs Davis Fars and 7714. Light winds full sun. Haven't had many light wind full sun days.
As you can see the Pro is better than 7714 even painted black inside.

Still on very light wind days the FARS works best for me. But just the opposite on windier days 10 mph+ the Pro runs average 1/2° lower than the FARS.  Another Pro shield remote site has more wind so shield is superior. In town however with less air movement I'll be sticking with the FARS as primary shield. 

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 10:01:00 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #177 on: September 23, 2018, 08:21:48 AM »
Meanwhile, I made some changes to my modified davis, the plates are now 10, the upper bracket has been replaced with a davis
the second plate from the top is partially covered internally by a black Teflon disk, the same thing on the second lower closed plate, now the sensor is between two black plates
I kept the double bottom closed plate with fixing system of the ring sensors as in professionals radiation shields.
I hope you like it, it has been installed from 2 hours, from tomorrow the first results
Mauro

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #178 on: September 23, 2018, 03:28:04 PM »
Looks good,
If you don't get the results you want, try a closed plate (black on top side) on the very bottom instead of open plate like it is.

I'm not sure adding more open plates helps shield. You are adding more mass to absorb heat. Just a thought...
Randy

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #179 on: September 23, 2018, 03:31:17 PM »
Looks good,
If you don't get the results you want, try a closed plate (black on top side) on the very bottom instead of open plate like it is.

I'm not sure adding more open plates helps shield. You are adding more mass to absorb heat. Just a thought...

thanks,
the bottom plate is not open, it's closed by from a fixing ring for the sensor tube
practically the bottom plate is as if it were entirely closed

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #180 on: September 23, 2018, 03:47:06 PM »
results today, only from 1 pm, since the screen was installed around 12 am
I would say very interesting results
day characterized by wind always above 1m/sec and maximum solar radiation of 700w / mq

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #181 on: September 23, 2018, 03:52:36 PM »
I see looks good.  =D>
Randy

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #182 on: September 23, 2018, 04:00:43 PM »
I see looks good.  =D>

Thanks  ;)
I have to make two changes yet:
-replace steel bars and hardware with teflon bars and screws
-to place an airgel disc between the top metal plate and the first upper plate

as you can see, during the temperature drop, the meteoshield pro is much faster than the modified davis, the reason could be, as you rightly said, in the number of open plates, after the next changes I can try to reduce them

Mauro
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 04:03:06 PM by mauro63 »

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #183 on: September 24, 2018, 07:37:55 AM »
for those who might be interested, from some days I'm testing the new microstation Barani Meteohelix IoT Pro
the station is connected to the Sigfox network, at the moment we are working on improving the web interface
the parameters measured with the integrated sensor, directly derivated from Meteotemp probe are:
temperature with +o-0,2° C accuracy
humidity with +0- 1,8% accuracy
barometric pressure
solar radiation

the station is solar powered with 6 months of life without solar radiation

Mauro

link
https://www.baranidesign.com/meteohelix-pro-weather-station/

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #184 on: September 24, 2018, 04:21:44 PM »
today we had a very disturbed day, overcast skies, wind with gusts of up to 10m / sec, a day so useless for the tests but good to evaluate the alignment of the sensors
I am attaching the screen

Mauro

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #185 on: October 02, 2018, 11:12:42 AM »
How high should I install the temp/hum probe in the pro shield?
Davis Vantage Pro2 & WeatherFlow Tempest. WU: KXALJEMI2, KALJEMIS7, KFLPANAM363 & KALTHORS2. CWOP/APRS: C6353 & E6358

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #186 on: October 02, 2018, 11:26:13 AM »
How high should I install the temp/hum probe in the pro shield?

HI,
I've tested for a long time meteoshield pro and standard, usually I install my sensor at half height of the internal chambre, I've tried to move up and down without appreciable differences, only if I move the sensor down, near the connector I've noticed lower minimum temperature with clear sky e no wind
you can try by yourself, the position inside the screen is easy to chose without disassembling anything, if you have prepared a bar to fix the sensor
Mauro

this is my solution, the bar is the older, the new have more lenght and is not pvc but teflon  ;)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 11:29:25 AM by mauro63 »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #187 on: October 02, 2018, 11:34:19 AM »
Good observation I also noticed the lower position matched clear night time better with FARS.

I've found the standard blacked out inside with paint works just as well as Pro and fits the Davis SHT31 better without trimming sensor board. 

I'm still testing the shields but in town I have too many windless days to feel comfortable with a passive shield. When I say windless I mean shield level 0-1 mph average speed over extended periods where heat builds.

My second station outside of town these work just fine where the wind rarely goes below 3 mph and most of the time runs 5+mph at shield level daytime.
Randy

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #188 on: October 02, 2018, 06:02:42 PM »
So basically, if I have the sensor closer to the connector, it won’t take away any of the benefits of the shield during the daytime?
Davis Vantage Pro2 & WeatherFlow Tempest. WU: KXALJEMI2, KALJEMIS7, KFLPANAM363 & KALTHORS2. CWOP/APRS: C6353 & E6358

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #189 on: October 02, 2018, 06:25:58 PM »
I thought the meteo shield did a little better toward the lower end of shield. Bottom 4" or so vs higher up in shield. If you look at the short meteo sensors they sell all are short toward bottom.
Randy

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #190 on: October 02, 2018, 08:00:44 PM »
I thought the meteo shield did a little better toward the lower end of shield. Bottom 4" or so vs higher up in shield. If you look at the short meteo sensors they sell all are short toward bottom.

Gotcha. Thanks!

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #191 on: October 05, 2018, 03:50:21 PM »
About the test of Meteohelix IoT Pro of Barani, the Barani micro weather station, after two weeks, I can confirm that the performances are the same of Meteoshield Pro, so very accurate  ;)
we are working now to fix some little improvements on web interface, hope you like  ;)

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #192 on: October 07, 2018, 09:08:46 PM »

Got my friend’s shield up and running with the Sensirion SHT-75

Now I just got to get my shield hooked up at my home station and I’ll be all set and ready to go this winter.

My friend and I had to rednecked our way to get the Barani shield mounted on the pole

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #193 on: October 07, 2018, 10:13:08 PM »

Now I just got to get my shield hooked up at my home station and I’ll be all set and ready to go this winter.

My friend and I had to rednecked our way to get the Barani shield mounted on the pole

Couldn't you either reverse the U-bolts (nuts & washers against Barani support) or even possibly use the VP2 U-bolt(s) to hold both units?
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #194 on: October 08, 2018, 12:05:08 AM »

Couldn't you either reverse the U-bolts (nuts & washers against Barani support) or even possibly use the VP2 U-bolt(s) to hold both units?

Most likely not. The holes on the Barani shield bracket are placed there for a skinnier pole. I lowered the rain gauge for more reliable rain readings. Also didn’t want the rain canister block any wind from the shield.

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #195 on: October 08, 2018, 02:09:43 AM »

Most likely not. The holes on the Barani shield bracket are placed there for a skinnier pole. I lowered the rain gauge for more reliable rain readings. Also didn’t want the rain canister block any wind from the shield.

you can use very strong plastic straps, the weight of the meteoshield is not high, the straps are quick to assemble and remove, I personally use them often with the meteoshield without a problem
Mauro [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #196 on: October 08, 2018, 06:08:47 AM »
Couple metal hose clamps will work also.
Randy

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #197 on: October 08, 2018, 06:29:15 AM »

you can use very strong plastic straps, the weight of the meteoshield is not high, the straps are quick to assemble and remove, I personally use them often with the meteoshield without a problem
Mauro [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

We tried with zip ties (not the strongest ones) and it didn’t do bad execept the top part of the bracket wouldn’t stay level. It wasn’t stable. We just use what we had and we know that sucker ain’t going anywhere.

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #198 on: October 11, 2018, 10:47:46 PM »
I installed my Barani Pro shield at my house yesterday and noticed that the company didn’t included the 3 lock washers and hex nuts for securing the shield on the bracket mount (like the instructions said it did). Had to go by the store to get some. But other than that, it’s up and running.

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #199 on: October 12, 2018, 11:21:23 AM »
Looks good, now for some reports on performance. I have been running my station on my rm young fars for the last few weeks comparing it to the pro shield and i just switched back to the pro yesterday. It looks like the pro can hold it's own against one of the better fars around. I think as we get later into the year and solar energy is less the fars is not going to be as important as it might be in the summer when solar heating is at max. The pro has been doing just fine in comparison and the main difference right now is the fars will show a higher temp  up to a degree higher and i think that is because the fars is more responsive to temp changes than the pro which is a little slower in response to quick temp changes. With just a little wind the pro has been running about a .5 degree lower than the fars and with no wind runs the same as the fars. This seems to be because of less solar heating this time of year and will be proved out as the next summer cycle comes along. Will just take time to get all the ducks in a row with this stuff.