Author Topic: One way to troubleshoot a WU upload issue.  (Read 575 times)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
One way to troubleshoot a WU upload issue.
« on: March 26, 2018, 11:38:48 AM »
I was having trouble with a Wunderground PWS upload and wasn't sure if the problem was the hardware or the station ID or password.

So I went to the WY Wiki: http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/PWS_-_Upload_Protocol

If you don't already know, WU's upload method is HTTP Get, just like a browser uses. No fancy ports or FTP or anything. So, in theory, you could send your WU updates by hand if you really wanted to.

i copied out their sample upload:

https://weatherstation.wunderground.com/weatherstation/updateweatherstation.php?ID=KCASANFR5&PASSWORD=XXXXXX&dateutc=2000-01-01+10%3A32%3A35&winddir=230&windspeedmph=12&windgustmph=12&tempf=70&rainin=0&baromin=29.1&dewptf=68.2&humidity=90&weather=&clouds=&softwaretype=vws%20versionxx&action=updateraw

and pasted it into a browser address bar. Then I edited in my station's ID and password and today's date and current time. I suppose I could have edited in all of the current data, but, 1) I was lazy and in a hurry, and 2) that allows typos to occur which might spoil the test of the ID and pw.

Starting with the ID and password I thought were correct, the first test, the server returned

INVALIDPASSWORDID|Password or key and/or id are incorrect

The station ID was correct, so I tried a different password, same results. The third time was the charm:

success

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
Re: One way to troubleshoot a WU upload issue.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 11:46:25 AM »
It's not you, it's WU.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Re: One way to troubleshoot a WU upload issue.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 01:20:49 PM »
It's not you, it's WU.

Yeah, but this time it WAS me. :)