Author Topic: Question about bugs and the PA-II-SD  (Read 2721 times)

Offline JupiterJoe

• Senior Contributor
  • JupiterWX.com
    • Live Jupiter, FL Weather
Question about bugs and the PA-II-SD
« on: February 14, 2018, 02:52:55 PM »
Hey guys, I just received and installed my PurpleAir sensor and was wondering about bugs getting into the unit. We have a lot of bugs here in FL, and they go everywhere. I know that the open spaces in here would be welcoming to a wasps nest or whatever.
My question is, would accuracy be diminished if I were to attach a loose screen to the bottom of this? It would hang down and be very loose on the bottom as to not impede airflow.

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
Re: Question about bugs and the PA-II-SD
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 04:14:06 PM »
If I were in the same scenario as you, yes I think I would put some sort of screen over it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk

Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline JupiterJoe

• Senior Contributor
  • JupiterWX.com
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 05:53:36 PM »
I used a fish net and ziptied it on. Hopefully it doesn't impede airflow and lasts outside. :)

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 09:00:01 AM »
I would check readings with that on and off, it might impede particle flow giving false readings considering how dense it is.
If it does change readings, something like a metal screen that is small enough to prevent wasps but no smaller than necessary to stop them.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline JupiterJoe

• Senior Contributor
  • JupiterWX.com
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 10:04:10 AM »
I have been watching my sensor since I’ve put the net on compared to nearby sensors, and it seems to be pretty close. Sometimes a little higher, sometimes a little lower, but I think localized readings will always be a little different. So far it seems pretty good, but I do like your idea better for a cleaner, more permanent solution. I will keep my eyes open for a good open screen and maybe cut it so it fits the opening perfect.
Thank you for your thoughts!
(On the attached screenshot, my station is the one reading “11”) [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I would check readings with that on and off, it might impede particle flow giving false readings considering how dense it is.
If it does change readings, something like a metal screen that is small enough to prevent wasps but no smaller than necessary to stop them.

Offline blacklistedcard

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 10:54:54 AM »
That’s a fail.  They should of manufactured a screen on the enclosure.  Insects are going to get into the sensors.   

I guess I’m going to have to figure a good screen setup for my unit. 

Offline Nekota

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 11:50:05 AM »
I found some #40 stainless steel mesh 6x12 on Ebay.  I asked PurpleAir and they were not keen on adding a screen but I know spiders and wasps will be moving in later this year.  So I'm going to add the screen to keep the bugs outside.  I don't expect the mesh to interfere with the air nor collect particles that would alter the counts.  I haven't figured out a simple way to install the screen as the power cable connector extends below.

anything