Author Topic: 2017 in Review the Southwest is in Extreme constrast to the East and Mid West  (Read 1424 times)

Offline AZmonsooncats

• Current weather conditions in North Phoenix, Ariz
  • Senior Contributor
  • Me & My Little Sis!!
    • Pepper Ridge North Valley  Weather and Lightning
Thanks to a nearly stationary High the Southwest continues to be warm and dry as all the storms ride up over this ridge the Mid West and East are stuck in the Deep Freeze....

Here's my 2017 in review

If you thought 2017 was warm you are right the average temperature at Sky Harbor airport in Phoenix, Az was 77.3°F the WARMEST ever the prior record was 77.1°F in 2014. The maximum average was 89.1 °F just behind 1989's 89.8°F and the minimum average was 65.4°F tied with 2015 and 2014.

Here at Pepper Ridge in North Phoenix we also set the WARMEST year ever with an average temperature of 74.2°F besting the prior record of 73.7°F in 2016 closely followed by 73.2°F in 2014 and 2012. Our average Maximum was also a record with 86.7°F besting 2016's 85.9°F. The average minimum was 61.1 °F beating the prior record of 61.0°F in 2016. The total rainfall was 7.21 inches the 5th driest on record and -2.43 inches below the normal of 9.64 inches. The period of Sept 1st through Dec 31st only saw 0.16 inches the driest on record for the last 4 months of the year and the 4th driest 4th month period overall.

As for December it was our warmest December ever with a average of 56.1°F beating the prior record of 55.9 °F in 2010. The average maximum in Dec was 69.7 °F the warmest beating Dec 2000s 68.9 °F the average minimum for Dec was 44.1 °F second behind 45.6°F average in 2010 and 2016. December rainfall was 0.15 inches which was -0.87 inches below normal.

Complete Historical details with 21 years of data can be found at: http://www.pepperridgenorthvalley.com/history.php

Jeanette
"Some dreams are in the night time, And some seem like yesterday
But leaves turn brown and fade, Ships sail away
You long to say a thousand words…but Seasons Change."

CWOP:CW3794, MesoWest: C3794, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PepperRidgeNorthValleyWX/

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
The persistent ridge of high pressure off the west coast has affected weather patterns for sure. This is without precedent in the modern historical records.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 06:47:31 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
I don't understand this kind of thing presented as something new or unusual.  It's hot in the southwest.  Gee, REALLY????  The southwest is a desert and has been for centuries.  People have tried to tame it to the tune of many billions of dollars and stealing water from other places.  None of that has made it any less hot though, has it?

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
21 years of data?

I've got shoes older than that.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster

Complete Historical details with 21 years of data can be found at: http://www.pepperridgenorthvalley.com/history.php

Jeanette

Very nicely done and great stats, thanks for sharing.
Randy

Offline AZmonsooncats

• Senior Contributor
  • Me & My Little Sis!!
21 years of data?

I've got shoes older than that.

My personal data is only 21 yrs but it is reflecting much of same pattern as the official data that dates to 1896!! And a low this last summer of 94.8°F** on July 8th :shock: is significant as it shows urbanization and urban Heat Island have increased metro over-nite lows to the point a record low minimums at official airport station is a rarity none were set in 2017. This is the main reason for setting a new record!!! the further you move from the urban core the less the effect is. The continue migration of people to southwest for the nice winter weather is contributing to the concrete jungle and urban heat island effect especially in the summer which is well documented.

I don't understand this kind of thing presented as something new or unusual.  It's hot in the southwest.  Gee, REALLY????  The southwest is a desert and has been for centuries.  People have tried to tame it to the tune of many billions of dollars and stealing water from other places.  None of that has made it any less hot though, has it?

Not all of the Southwest is desert we also have tall mountain ranges and the Mogollon Rim that covers most of Northern 1/3 of the State. Flagstaff which sits at nearly 7000ft has only seen a trace of snow this winter these areas depend on rain and snow as a life line even these areas have been deprived of moisture this fall and winter the snow-pack is the life line to both the mountains and deserts without moisture all will suffer. Much of the pattern is the probably result of La Nina. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 01:10:39 PM by AZmonsooncats »

CWOP:CW3794, MesoWest: C3794, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PepperRidgeNorthValleyWX/

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
Longest stretch of Ponderosa pine in world is in Arizona. Was my playground for many years., and beautiful country. Bark beetle infestation will start playing havoc because of drought I'm sure on the pines. 
Randy

Offline AZmonsooncats

• Senior Contributor
  • Me & My Little Sis!!
Longest stretch of Ponderosa pine in world is in Arizona. Was my playground for many years., and beautiful country. Bark beetle infestation will start playing havoc because of drought I'm sure on the pines. 

So you know the area sadly the drought and bark beetles have already caused significant damage in the last 15 years and the devastating Rodeo-Chediski 2002 and Wallow 2011fires burned large swaths of the Ponderosa pines such as near Greer Wallow Fire 2011

And after the fire near Greer July 2011

Luckily the Area between Show Low and Greer remains nearly untouched and beautiful

Jeanette
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 02:22:24 PM by AZmonsooncats »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster

So you know the area sadly the drought and bark beetles have already caused significant damage in the last 15 years and the devastating Rodeo-Chediski 2002 and Wallow 2011fires burned large swaths of the Ponderosa pines such as near Greer Wallow Fire 2011

Yes I do. Most of my time was spent on the north Rim but also along the rim.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
I really grew up in Arizona though high school and loved it there. Only reason I left was to get off shift work after 36 years at a powerplant which is now closing. I've got an opportunity to go back as contractor while they close for 2 years and help with shutdown I'm thinking seriously about.  ;)
Randy

Offline AZmonsooncats

• Senior Contributor
  • Me & My Little Sis!!
I really grew up in Arizona though high school and loved it there. Only reason I left was to get off shift work after 36 years at a powerplant which is now closing. I've got an opportunity to go back as contractor while they close for 2 years and help with shutdown I'm thinking seriously about.  ;)

So you spent a lot of time in and around Page  :-)  and worked for the Navajo Power Plant. So you do know the area well and if you do chose to come back welcome home. It will be sad if they completely close down the power plant a lot of people in Page and the surrounding areas depend on it for jobs. I have spent most of my time in Arizona with the exception of the 6 years I spent in the Bay Area back in the early to middle 90s. There is a lot of beautiful areas in this state.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster

So you spent a lot of time in and around Page  :-)  and worked for the Navajo Power Plant. So you do know the area well and if you do chose to come back welcome home. It will be sad if they completely close down the power plant a lot of people in Page and the surrounding areas depend on it for jobs. I have spent most of my time in Arizona with the exception of the 6 years I spent in the Bay Area back in the early to middle 90s. There is a lot of beautiful areas in this state.

That's me. Yes it's going to take a toll on the area but tourism is still huge and growing with 7 new motels just last year. Problem is a lot of the motel money leaves the area as you know and high paying jobs 550 around 70-120k like the plant provided much stayed home.
Thanks for the warm invite back if I decide. Been gone 3 years and it involves shift work again. ](*,) I'll be doing what I did before but as subcontractor.
Randy

anything