Author Topic: WS-8478 Falcon  (Read 9821 times)

Offline theliman

WS-8478 Falcon
« on: December 29, 2017, 12:39:57 PM »
I was told this one would be out in March but just got an email this morning saying it's in stock. So I ordered one. Not blaming Acurite, but have grown tired of waiting on Atlas with no current station (been wanting any station for years). Console looks clean - not a popular opinion but I *love* the Davis console look, just can't afford to get their stations online.

I'm new to this so probably can't provide much good feedback since I don't have any point of comparison, but I'll try to post about my experience once I get it up and running.

Obviously no reviews or anything out there so kind of a risky buy, but I can always return it I guess. Wish me luck! Might come back on here in a bit and ask for opinions on mounting location.

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
Re: WS-8478 Falcon
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 12:52:11 PM »
I got that email too...looks interesting. One thing I didn't see in the spec's is what wireless frequency the ISS uses or what distance it can be from the console receiver. Maybe that information is there and I missed it.

It seems like Ambient has 3 products WS-1002, WS-2902, WS-8478, that have a lot of overlap in features. It would be nice to see a comparison review on these three products.

Edit: I found the answers in the user manual ... 915 MHz, 300 ft line of sight, 100 ft. most conditions.

Also, I see there is no FARS, not even as an add-on. That seems like a significant shortcoming.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 01:51:21 PM by alanb »
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline theliman

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 07:44:05 PM »
Got it in the mail yesterday, was able to get it mounted in my backyard today. Used flange/elbow/pipe on a reasonably sturdy fence post to get about 8 ft up. If I get false rain readings I'll take it off the fence. I had planned to go out and up from the peak of my roof for better wind readings, but I figured this would be easier to maintain and more accurate for temperature.

Here are a couple pics of the sensor, and one of the display (still with the plastic wrap on!). I'll get it mounted on a wall as soon as I can get my power situation sorted, I don't want the cable showing.

Can't give too much feedback so far, but sensor feels well-built and I like the matte finish. Temps in line with other stations from 30s-50s today. Wasn't bad to connect online for Wunderground and ambientweather.net.

Feel free to ask any basic questions but I don't have much info yet.

https://i.imgur.com/pPudFOl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/U1vOjcR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/TReiIzQ.jpg

Offline dbmet

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 01:59:29 PM »
Sweet. It looks nice. Hurry up with my order UPS

Offline Aircub

• Twinfirs Broadstone
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 02:06:50 PM »
I wonder if will come for sale in Europe/UK.??

Offline dbmet

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 02:09:58 PM »
Got mine in and won’t connect to the internet. Spoke with Ed and he is checking with the programmers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TheHauntedJourney

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 01:35:14 PM »
Got mine in and won’t connect to the internet. Spoke with Ed and he is checking with the programmers.

I have the same problem here. I emailed Ambient Weather Support with the console not being able to connect, but I didn't know like you said that he is checking with the programmers. If you get anymore info about it, please tell me.

Offline dbmet

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 02:43:08 PM »
I was putting a negative sign in the longitude section. I didn’t read far enough in the manual to see that part. I removed the negative and it connected to the internet right away

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 02:46:49 PM »
I was putting a negative sign in the longitude section. I didn’t read far enough in the manual to see that part. I removed the negative and it connected to the internet right away

Thank you so much. I just tried that and it works!

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 02:58:18 PM »
Is the blue light also suppose to keep flashing with the wifi icon?

Offline dbmet

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 02:59:52 PM »
Welcome. It will flash when it’s updating the data and the WiFi symbol flashes at the same time.

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 03:11:52 PM »
How long does it usually take to upload to Ambient Weather Dashboard and Weather Underground?

Offline dbmet

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 03:14:23 PM »
Mine was pretty fast. But I had and old station that I was using.

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 03:15:59 PM »
Mine just says "This PWS is not reporting". I hope that is normal for now.

Offline dbmet

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 03:18:45 PM »
Wunderground has been having glitches lately.

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 05:29:25 PM »
So apparently I found out the blue light flashing with the wifi icon isn't suppose to happen. It means that it is connected to my router but isn't connected at the same time. I don't know how to fix it.

Offline dbmet

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 05:33:04 PM »
What kind of router do you have ? You can always push the WiFi button on the back of the console and do the setup through the webpage again. I did it a couple of times after I figured out what I did wrong to try a different router.

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 05:35:11 PM »
The manufacturer for my router is by Qualcomm Communications, I honestly have no idea where I even got it from. But I'll try again with the console.

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 05:55:10 PM »
Fixed it. I'm pretty sure firewall or my internet security was somehow blocking the connection. So I did it off of my iPad and it worked.

Offline dbmet

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 07:19:15 PM »
Nice !!

Offline andyk1

• Contributor
    • Nicoma Park Weather
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 10:30:43 PM »
I was close to getting one at the beginning of the month when I saw it listed for $167 or 169 which ever it was and wondered why they dropped the price. I emailed Ed and he said my WS-2902 was a better model with better sensors so I held my order till I heard feedback here. Still waiting on someone mentioning the sensor... sensitivity, reliable wifi, Does it work with ObserverIP and Meteobridge or clone. Really like to here from you owners how you like it, don't like and things like that. Still considering getting one as it's locked in my Cart on Ambient's site for $167.99. Not sure that will be honored as I see it went back up to $199 again and out of stock... again. Anyone. Someone that has one give up your thoughts and share with the rest of us. I am really interested in the Web Gui the most. if it can be calibrated from there.

Could someone get a screen grab of the Web Gui if it isn't that much trouble. Thanks in Advance.

Andy
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 10:58:54 PM by andyk1 »

Offline andyk1

• Contributor
    • Nicoma Park Weather
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 10:48:33 PM »
To answer someone's post earlier about wifi connectivity... I read on a different weather forum site about this problem. First off if I remember right it said before attempting to connect make sure 5G is turned off. Like that was hard to forget. The next thing was if you had the option was to turn spread spectrum to 20/40 and not just 20 in your 2.4ghz settings. You will have to look for it on your own Wifi router as there are different models and they have them under different settings locations.. That cured my ws-2902 from constantly dropping from the WiFi router and having to constantly reconnect.

The other thing I did was Get an Ambient ObserverIP and connect directly to the outdoor unit and having the ability to see your station from your computer, laptop, iPad or android device. You just log into the ObserverIP's IP address like 192.168.1.10 for me and you have all the functions at your finger tip instead of trying to do everything from the console.  You can also turn off WiFi connectivity on the console as it's no longer needed or use it as a second weather station with different sensitivity settings.

With that being said. I don't know if the ObserverIP will work on the WS-8478. Still waiting to hear about that but the Spread Spectrum 20/40 should help or relocate the outdoor sensor unit and/or the console in relation to your router.

Andy
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 10:58:02 PM by andyk1 »

Offline theliman

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2018, 10:07:42 AM »
I was close to getting one at the beginning of the month when I saw it listed for $167 or 169 which ever it was and wondered why they dropped the price. I emailed Ed and he said my WS-2902 was a better model with better sensors so I held my order till I heard feedback here. Still waiting on someone mentioning the sensor... sensitivity, reliable wifi, Does it work with ObserverIP and Meteobridge or clone. Really like to here from you owners how you like it, don't like and things like that. Still considering getting one as it's locked in my Cart on Ambient's site for $167.99. Not sure that will be honored as I see it went back up to $199 again and out of stock... again. Anyone. Someone that has one give up your thoughts and share with the rest of us. I am really interested in the Web Gui the most. if it can be calibrated from there.

Could someone get a screen grab of the Web Gui if it isn't that much trouble. Thanks in Advance.

Andy

I still don't think I can offer much, but I am happy so far. Temp, humidity, pressure are in line with other stations in my area. We had rain recently and that was a tad lower (10%) but could have been legitimately different amount or maybe I need to straighten the station out just a hair. Wind is where I'm struggling but I'm just going to have to accept that due to my chosen mounting location.

I have had no connectivity issues either from the sensor to the console, or console to wifi. A couple of small things I think were WU issues.

The display is not my favorite but that's personal preference, I like really clean and simple.

Offline andyk1

• Contributor
    • Nicoma Park Weather
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2018, 09:06:45 PM »
Thanks for the response. More than I've heard anywhere. And yes, nothing rings more true than setting up a weather station. Location, Location, Location. That's the hard part.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 09:09:15 PM by andyk1 »

Offline DK

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 07:35:47 PM »
Hello! Am new to the forum. I was torn between getting the Ospry 2902 and the Falcon 8478, as mentioned here there is a lot of overlap between the  models. Not knowing the differences between them made it difficult to come to a purchase decision. Luckily Ed cleared it up for me with the following reply to my email:

1. The Falcon has a much nicer display console.

2. The Falcon is easier to set up on the Internet.
    It has a built in web server with GUI.
    The Osprey requires you download an app to pair the console to router through your phone

3. The Osprey has a solar radiation and UV sensor (the Falcon has UV only).

4. The Falcon can be expanded, adding 7 additional thermo-hygrometers, which can be monitored over the Internet

Hope this helps somebody. I just ordered my Falcon.

anything