Author Topic: Station webcam improved updating  (Read 15729 times)

Offline gellenb

• Weather Page
Re: Station webcam improved updating
« Reply #125 on: December 26, 2017, 11:52:28 AM »
I think there are still problems at their end.  I just have not put the time into it anymore to make sure it works, just too much time finding out it's a problem at their end.  As I watch the the snapshots being send, some are accepted, others failed.  Like right now on the last image sent I get a username/password failure. The one before was successful.

As for software I used the built in client inside of Weather Display.  However, months ago when all these webcam problems started - and with no response from WU - I purchased IPTimelapse which I needed anyhow for another project.  It works fine for this - and maybe a bit overkill.  I have the license, so I use it.

Another failed upload this time, just a "upload process failed" error after a successful login. 

Last time I checked, WU has three public ftp servers, so it may be possible that one works right, and the other two, no so good...who knows.  All I hope is that someday they really get it fixed properly.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #126 on: December 26, 2017, 04:06:10 PM »
I have a Bloomsky.  So their system is supposed to automatically FTP it up for me.  Around Friday, my uploads quit working.  And now they've totally removed the stale pictures and it shows no webcam available.  So it's basically back to square one for me.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline gellenb

• Weather Page
« Reply #127 on: December 26, 2017, 06:15:29 PM »
It appears that one of the three public FTP servers is broke. Two appears to work fine, while the other just immediately closes the session.
the webcam.wunderground.com ftp servers are
52.37.52.183 - ok login and upload accepted
52.36.136.128 - not ok - immediate disconnect
54.148.11.142 - ok login and upload accepted

So it appears that anytime you get sent to .128 it will fail.

Offline Eno

• Contributor
« Reply #128 on: December 26, 2017, 07:00:54 PM »

the webcam.wunderground.com ftp servers are
52.37.52.183 - ok login and upload accepted
52.36.136.128 - not ok - immediate disconnect
54.148.11.142 - ok login and upload accepted

So it appears that anytime you get sent to .128 it will fail.
So could I just add the server address at the end of ftp:/webcam/underground.com/  ?

Offline gellenb

• Weather Page
« Reply #129 on: December 26, 2017, 07:12:11 PM »
You could replace "webcam.wunderground.com" with an IP address, provided your software/camera will accept IP addresses.
However in general that would not be advised, but would work as a temporary band-aid. 

Here is the problem by doing that.  Once you change to that IP, you are stuck with only that one server.  As long as that one is online and working properly, all is good.  If that one goes down, your down until you change the IP, or until that server comes back up operational again.  In general using the URL webcam.wunderground.com will normally get you connected to a working server in the "pool".  In this case now, it doesn't because the one server that is broke, is online and appears to be working. (until you go an use it.)

So at the moment, if your camera/software will accept a IP address, you could do that.  After it's fixed (I'm hoping here), you would want to change it back to the URL   webcam.wunderground.com   to take advantage of any available server .

Offline opsmanager

« Reply #130 on: December 27, 2017, 07:54:31 AM »
My webcam was posting up until 3 or 4 days ago; since then I am receiving an error that I cannot connect to the FTP server.
As a side note: I just noticed I have also lost all of my station summary data, as well...

Offline dcsmith

« Reply #131 on: December 27, 2017, 10:13:22 AM »
Send emails to

jmasters@wunderground.com
support@wunderground.com

Offline quailvalleywx

« Reply #132 on: December 27, 2017, 06:20:22 PM »
I can verify what gellenb observed in that earlier today 52.36.136.128 was not working.  I'm using busybox ftpput and its error message was "unexpected server response: EOF" which was received even before USER cmd could be sent.  After switching over to 52.37.52.183 all the uploads the past few hours have worked.  With the working server, .183, I've seen it sometimes drop the connection right after the image uploaded but before the QUIT cmd but I think the uploads were still succeeded.

From reviewing a debug log over the last 24 hours it looks my image uploads were getting routed to the bad server about 1 in 3 attempts.  Before Christmas I was seeing a lot of authentication and max user fails but none recently from webcam.wunderground.com.  Hopefully this is a sign they are actively working on issues.

gellenb, thanks for the debugging and the suggestion to try working servers!
WS-1400-IP, Galaxy S3 for cloud cam and Web Server
QV Website | Source Code | WU | WC | PWS | MesoWest/CWOP

Offline dcsmith

« Reply #133 on: December 27, 2017, 07:08:46 PM »
I am finally up and running now - albeit images are ~30 -45 minutes delayed.

Offline opsmanager

« Reply #134 on: December 30, 2017, 08:59:23 AM »
Just an update: my webcam has been present on my page now for about 36 hours.  Still no summary data, though...

Offline dcsmith

« Reply #135 on: December 30, 2017, 10:25:18 AM »
Yup.  Summary data has been missing for several days now.

Offline dcsmith

« Reply #136 on: January 04, 2018, 12:39:19 PM »
The entire WU site is having major problems.  I wonder if it's the weather hitting the east coast.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2018, 11:03:42 AM »
The entire WU site is having major problems.  I wonder if it's the weather hitting the east coast.
:grin: #-o :roll:   Like this is something NEW???    :shock:
Someday maybe folks will stop  ](*,)