Author Topic: GoDaddy gone mad!  (Read 2198 times)

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
GoDaddy gone mad!
« on: October 26, 2017, 02:16:47 PM »
I just got an alarming notification about my little old website www.wattsbarweather.net.  I had domain registration and site hosting.  I nearly fell out of the chair when I read the following:

Items
Economy Linux Hosting with cPanel Renewal
wattsbarweather.net
Item Number: 32064
Quantity: 1
Term: 3
List Price: $287.64
Purchase Price: $287.64
ICANN Fee: $0.00
Discount: $0.00
Subtotal: $287.64
Tax: $0.00
Total: $287.64

My last payment was for $54 for two years in 2016.  This is just crazy and I let them know that.  They were apathetic to my concerns.  So I told them to just cancel my account and give me my money back.  I have had a site with them for years.  I thought this just might be a misunderstanding.  But that's what they want, so they lost my business.

Sorry about the rant, but I'm upset.  If you use GoDaddy, please look closely at your account and billing.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:15:04 PM by SlowModem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
Re: GoDadd gone mad!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 04:45:55 PM »
And, I suppose they will not let you transfer the domain name to another registrar?
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 06:13:47 PM »
They do allow you to transfer your domain name from them to any registrar. They even provide step by step instructions on their website. My guess is they get so many requests for moves that they wanted to lighten the load on support. :eek:

https://www.godaddy.com/help/transfer-domain-to-another-registrar-3560
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 07:17:18 PM »
And, I suppose they will not let you transfer the domain name to another registrar?

I don't know.  I was so upset, I didn't think about it.  I'm sure they don't want to hear from me again.  However, i will look at doing it online later when I have time.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: GoDaddy gone mad!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 09:26:48 PM »
They give you the reduced rates on initial signup. Tell them you won't pay that much and just move to a different host.
Regular rates now are  Deluxe Linux Hosting with cPanel Renewal $10.99 month and the Economy $7.99. Then they charge for domain renewal $15-$18 year depending on .net or .com.

You can change host and take the domain with you.
Randy

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 04:18:26 AM »
Thanks,  I'll look into that.  :)

They give you the reduced rates on initial signup. Tell them you won't pay that much and just move to a different host.
Regular rates now are  Deluxe Linux Hosting with cPanel Renewal $10.99 month and the Economy $7.99. Then they charge for domain renewal $15-$18 year depending on .net or .com.

You can change host and take the domain with you.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 03:17:00 PM »
There is still ICDSoft.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 05:02:35 PM »
Godaddy charges more on renewal while ICDSoft charges less. Godaddy is best when signing up for multiple years upfront. Godaddy on top.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 05:08:29 PM »
I'm paid up on everything with Godaddy through 2019 at the starter rate, I'll be swapping host if I don't get the starter rate again.
It's not like this is a business paying 600+ for 3 years is way more than I'm willing especially since I'm just providing a public service and non profit.
Randy

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 07:54:07 PM »
kvchosting is good, over all.  I renewed 3 years with their V plan for $107.64.   

https://www.kvchosting.net/unlimited-hosting.html
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 08:00:32 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 08:55:46 AM »
Greg, the 2 years @ $54 was a definite bargain!!!  Do you still have a receipt on it showing any kind of promotion or whatever.  I haven't seen any reduction/deals in pricing since I set my website up.  Looking back I do see a few (very few) promotions of 30% off on renewals but most of the "deals" that Godaddy sends out specifically excludes renewals.  I'm about ready to make a switch, myself.  I've never felt that Godaddy really cared about my business...but there again, they're in it for the bucks like every other provider and I'm just a "number".   It seems, though, that most any other provider has a lower priced hosting program than Godaddy.

Ok, so if I (or anybody else) wanted to transfer a domain and website what is the usual process?  Simply go to another provider's website and read their instructions.  It seems that as time goes by the less smart(?) I am about things like this.  It scares me to move my website as I'm not sure I could get it up and running again...but, same thing if something dramatic happens with my current hosting account and I had to rebuild/restore it.

Any warnings, tips, recommendations from the website gurus here? 

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 06:46:13 PM »
This link might help and give some ideas.
https://www.whoishostingthis.com/blog/2011/02/10/launch-test-version-site/

This is what I would do.
If you have time, option 3 will be a good choice. Register a new test domain name. (eg BeeWeatherTest.com).  Leave you site a GoDaddy for now, then start moving your code to your new hosting company and test as you go. IF needed, now is the time to clean up your code.
When your are happy, first change the DNS entry to the new hosting company, to make sure it works and there are no broken links (take a snapshot of your current settings before making changes). It is quick to change back to your old site when you encounter any problems.

When you are happy, transfer the Domain name.

If you still use HTTP, now is the time to switch to HTTPS.

Ask the new hosting company about having two sites or subdomains. One for production and one for testing. This will allow you test changes or upgrades before moving it to production.

Also, tell them what you are planning to do, they might have a better idea.

Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 07:03:44 PM »
GoDaddy called today asking if everything was Okay because they noticed I turned off auto renew for 2019.
I told them I wouldn't pay full price for a site that's non profit and would be changing host. The guy said they can change something where all I needed to do was FTP files to new host site. I don't understand what he was talking about but he assured me I could get the low new customer rates again.   
Randy

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 07:54:20 PM »
This link might help and give some ideas.
https://www.whoishostingthis.com/blog/2011/02/10/launch-test-version-site/

<snip>
Thanks for the info, dupreezd, and everybody else, too!!!!

Greg, I think I will be following your lead.  I like the response time from ICDSOFT.  I'll look at others, but that one seems pretty good.  Lots of good info on their website, too.

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com