Author Topic: WeatherFlow Smart Weather Stations  (Read 3067 times)

Offline Kurtb

• Trained Weather Spotter, and CoCoRaHS member
    • Space Coast Weather
WeatherFlow Smart Weather Stations
« on: August 29, 2017, 11:12:20 AM »
   I live waterfront on a intercoastal waterway in Florida. Due to salt, I need a station with no moving parts. I don't want to spend thousands of dollars. I also want it on the internet 24/7. The best location for the wind is on my dock. It starts 300 ft away from my house and ends 600 ft away. The further out, the better for easterly winds, but on west winds it won't matter.

Are the measurements accurate? How often does wind get recorded? Is there a radiation shield that I could buy for the temperature sensor part? Can it be on the web 24/7 if so, how often does it update readings? How far away could it be with the only signal obstruction being storm proof windows?

Bottom line would you suggest it?

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
Re: WeatherFlow Smart Weather Stations
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 12:59:09 PM »
Are you referring to the station that has yet to be released?  Not sure you are going to get much feedback given they are only just now shipping the temp unit to initial backers.  The sky piece (wind/rain) is still in the engineering phase.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 01:09:59 PM »
The only station I know of which has 24/7 data direclty sent online and non-moving ultrasonic wind sensor is the NetAtmo. However this is not a station I would call "very accurate"

Offline GaryFunk

• fSoft, Ltd
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 03:26:02 PM »
There are a few stations near sea water.  You can see locations here.

https://community.weatherflow.com/t/1100-smart-weather-stations-on-google-maps/124?u=garyfunk
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 05:54:05 PM by GaryFunk »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 04:09:57 PM »
I have the temp sensor but I haven't installed it yet.

Still waiting on the Sky unit.  I think it was scheduled to ship in November, so it may not be much longer.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 04:38:48 PM »
FWIW, they had a video on their Indiegogo campaign page showing an incredibly long signal strength demo driving on what appeared to be Daytona Beach.  My personal observations are that my temperature sensor can easily penetrate three exterior walls and 50+ feet to reach the indoor hub from my sensor on the far north wall of my detached garage.  It will fit in the Acu-Rite tower sensor solar shield with a little bit of butchering on the inside, but I found that simply mounting it to the north wall of my detached garage was much better than the shield or direct exposure in the sun.  It has actually tracks nicely against my fan-aspirated Acu-Rite 5-in-1 twenty feet up in the air.  Remember that the temperature and wind sensors can be located in different places, so a solar shield may not be required if you can find a shady spot or north wall within radio range.

The campaign literature claimed that the wind readings will be broadcast via Bluetooth and UDP over the local network every second IIRC.  I suspect that the real transmission interval will be slightly longer to save batteries, but whatever they do should be way more frequent than the Netatmo wind gauge's unacceptably long (IMO) update interval.  I'm waiting patiently for the production wind/rain/solar sensors to ship, because my failing Acu-Rite most likely won't make it through the winter.  Keeping my fingers crossed for February.  So far, I like what I see in the temperature sensor they shipped.

The hub in the package connects to your network via wifi and not an ethernet port, and I don't see why it couldn't be located in a boat shed or other sheltered location with power available if your wifi will reach it and the dock is too long to pick up the sensor indoors.....
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 04:41:00 PM by vreihen »
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 07:43:49 PM »
The only station I know of which has 24/7 data direclty sent online and non-moving ultrasonic wind sensor is the NetAtmo. However this is not a station I would call "very accurate"

https://smartweather.weatherflow.com/share/881

http://nfmweather.com/weather2/

anything