Author Topic: Air Quality Sensors  (Read 16440 times)

Offline schwab

Re: Air Quality Sensors
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2017, 07:59:00 PM »
Your sensor is on the PurpleAir map but “greyed out” with data over 3 hrs old

So it did indeed log data until 3:40pm

I guess I’d verify your router shows it’s IP on your network

Restart everything?

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2017, 11:48:56 AM »
Sensor is back up and running. For some reason the last time I configured it our house WiFi didn't save in the sensor. But everything is working for now and hopefully it stays that way.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2017, 11:38:17 PM »
Since getting my PAII running I've been watching the map closely today and I'm actually becoming fascinated with it. There are several stations to the south of me scattered throughout the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex and today we had a light Southeasterly wind and I would watch the AQI from the stations south of me fluctuate and several minutes later mine would show the same fluctuations. I kinda visualize the pollutants as clouds that are driven by the wind.

I also get the impression that the point behind the temperature/humidity and air pressure sensors is to debunk fog and moisture related errors.

All in all I'm really enjoying the PAII. It's fun to watch the numbers change and compare with my weather station's data.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline bleomycin

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2017, 08:03:51 PM »
I was hoping someone who knows more about how these sensors work could help me. I have my Purpleair sensor installed and it's been working great, but there are active wildfires in my area (Southern California). When outside you can easily smell smoke but my purpleair sensor along with at least 50+ others in the area are all reading below 10 AQI. The aqmd.gov website states "In any area where you can see or smell smoke, everyone should avoid vigorous exertion and limit outdoor exposure."

Why is it that I can smell smoke but all the purpleair units are showing the air is the cleanest it's been all year?

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2017, 02:49:39 AM »
Why is it that I can smell smoke but all the purpleair units are showing the air is the cleanest it's been all year?

Because Purpleair sensors are only "Partical" sensors perhaps?
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline RXB2

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2017, 10:59:12 AM »

I'll bet it says something about how sensitive the human sense of smell can be. Unless you're immediatly downwind of the fires you could have decent air since there seems to be a lot of air movement at the moment! Here's a Forest Service guide to estimating local air quality based on visibility.  https://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/pnw_gtr925.pdf

Offline Eno

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2017, 06:08:11 PM »
But everything is working for now and hopefully it stays that way.

Yup, keep hoping, because if and when it goes offline, like mine is after 35 days of working, and nothing you do with router gets it back online, you'll be SOL.

December 28 update:  PurpleAir responded in a timely manner to my issue and resolved it with new firmware.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 06:05:07 PM by Eno »

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
    • My weather station, etc.
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2018, 04:49:09 AM »
...and now www.purpleair.com returns a 404 error. Hm.

Offline eliteweathernz

• Weather Enthusiast/ Weather Equipment Support
  • Contributor
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2018, 05:03:53 AM »
The sites down at the moment, apprently they reached there quota possibly on there servers or something.

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
    • My weather station, etc.
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2018, 06:08:06 AM »
A 404 rather indicates a "not found" condition on whatever server they're using.

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2018, 06:51:58 AM »
A 404 rather indicates a "not found" condition on whatever server they're using.

yep ports 21,80,443 are all up on their site, so i guess Apache,IIS has died.
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2018, 08:47:54 AM »
There seem to be another better improved ver there looking at the A Full-Featured Home Air Pollution Monitor: the AQY 1

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/full-featured-home-air-pollution-monitor-aqy-1
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline Forever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2018, 09:13:27 AM »
It looks like a nice unit but a little out of my price range with it being over $1000.

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2018, 09:42:15 AM »
Did someone say there are phone apps for the PurpleAir? If so what it called? My Search didn't turn up any good info which is mostly what happens..  :oops:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 09:57:03 AM by mmorris »
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline n3b

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 06:48:22 PM by Toxic »
Regards Simon

Offline Eno

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2018, 08:52:51 PM »
Did someone say there are phone apps for the PurpleAir? If so what it called? My Search didn't turn up any good info which is mostly what happens..  :oops:
I honestly don't know how I got this PA app on my phone, but there it is. I had been looking at the PA map in a browser a lot at the time, and one day I just saw it there!
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 09:04:26 PM by Eno »

Offline Forever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2018, 10:51:34 PM »
I think that is just a shortcut to the website.

Offline blacklistedcard

« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2018, 04:33:19 PM »
I just order one.   At least we will have some more representation in Canada.

Offline Eno

« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2018, 06:09:33 PM »
I think that is just a shortcut to the website.
No I don't think so. It doesn't display in a browser. Behaves like an app.

Offline Keith Myers

• My Astrophotography photostream
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2018, 06:56:28 PM »
I guess the PurpleAir-II sensors are good enough.  Looks like the California Air Resources Board must have done a bulk purchase back before the start of summer and the start of the fire season and got them installed.
From only my sensor showing up on the PurpleAir map for my county and no other sensor around for a dozen other counties surrounding me, I am now surrounded by dozens of new sensors all with the CARB_SMOKE_XX_City Location identifier.

Now I can see dozens of new sensors all showing the smoke plumes from all the current forest fires.  I think the sensor is darn good for showing particulate counts.  When I good barely see my neighbors house across the street earlier,  my sensor was showing the air quality as hazardous.  I have been breathing bad air for over two weeks now and only go outside if it is absolutely required.
Thought I'd better join the community since I am getting a PWS tomorrow. The closest ones to my location have been very iffy in providing data to Weather Underground.  I need a WU station to provide my local weather conditions for my PVOutput.org solar generation monitoring.

Offline halifax

« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2018, 07:48:21 PM »
My Purple Air sensor is running anomalously high for PM2.5 ... for instance, today, 119 in my remote rural location while the cities are running ... 8 or less.
PM10 is 52 when regionally is 1 - 2.
Temp accurate, humidity accurate.

No replies from PA for over a month using Support dropdown on contact page.
Ain't that special.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Davis VP2+, NOAA POES Rx Station, SkyCam, Sandy Brook BrookCam. WU KCTCOLEB1. CWOP N1QVE. CoCoRaHS CT-LT-15. PurpleAir AQM Colebrook, CT.

Offline Keith Myers

• My Astrophotography photostream
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2018, 10:08:25 PM »
Might have some spiders setting up house in the sensor.  Get a can of compressed air for computer cleaning and spray inside the housing liberally.  Maybe dislodge whatever contamination is causing the high readings.  I'm amazed that as many spiders set up shop at both my homes main door entries, I haven't had issues.  My sensor is located in my front door porch alcove.

I had very high PM2.5 and PM10 readings when the smoke plumes inundated the town during July, August and midway through September.  But the firefighters finally have got the upper hand in control and the air quality has returned to normal most days.
Thought I'd better join the community since I am getting a PWS tomorrow. The closest ones to my location have been very iffy in providing data to Weather Underground.  I need a WU station to provide my local weather conditions for my PVOutput.org solar generation monitoring.

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2018, 02:05:18 AM »
If you having problems getting hold of Purpleair staff I find the easiest way is to post on their Facebook page.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Regards Simon

Offline halifax

« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2018, 07:18:07 AM »
Thanks, Keith and Simon, replies were much appreciated. I will post back my results.
Davis VP2+, NOAA POES Rx Station, SkyCam, Sandy Brook BrookCam. WU KCTCOLEB1. CWOP N1QVE. CoCoRaHS CT-LT-15. PurpleAir AQM Colebrook, CT.