Author Topic: personal air pollution sensor  (Read 16703 times)

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
Re: personal air pollution sensor
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2017, 12:24:32 PM »
I have mine mounted on the side of the house furthest from the kitchen ... and I live in a ravine ... so in very calm conditions, it's easy for fumigation-type conditions to occur. It's not a common thing, but I did notice it a couple of times and correlated it to the kitchen.

I do like the internal cross-checking and the darn thing just runs and runs without any need to futz around with it.

Interesting. I notice with mine it spikes in the morning and evenings, probably people coming and going to work. It also does it on the weekends from 10pm-2am. I'll have to figure out what the weekend thing is about...
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 05:59:19 AM »
Well I look at the map and there wasn't any sensor around Barberton Oh. so I bit the bullet and ordered one. Seem to be a delay in getting one email below. Also sit here wondering where all the sensor are that Determine why I need to have my Vehicles E checked every two years and people that live 2 miles away don't.....

Dear valued PurpleAir customer.

You are getting this message because you ordered a PurpleAir air quality sensor.
When parts arrived recently, there were some key items missing.  We were still able to make quite a few sensors and get those out.  We are now waiting for those missing items to arrive in order to make the rest of the sensors.
PurpleAir really appreciates your patience as we work hard to get your sensors made, tested and sent out.
You will receive an email with the tracking number as soon as sensors are shipped, so be on the lookout for that.
If you have any further questions please let us know. 

Thank you for your continued support and patience.

Kind regards

PurpleAir Team
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2017, 06:27:45 AM »
Well I look at the map and there wasn't any sensor around Barberton Oh. so I bit the bullet and ordered one. Seem to be a delay in getting one email below. Also sit here wondering where all the sensor are that Determine why I need to have my Vehicles E checked every two years and people that live 2 miles away don't.....

Dear valued PurpleAir customer.

You are getting this message because you ordered a PurpleAir air quality sensor.
When parts arrived recently, there were some key items missing.  We were still able to make quite a few sensors and get those out.  We are now waiting for those missing items to arrive in order to make the rest of the sensors.
PurpleAir really appreciates your patience as we work hard to get your sensors made, tested and sent out.
You will receive an email with the tracking number as soon as sensors are shipped, so be on the lookout for that.
If you have any further questions please let us know. 

Thank you for your continued support and patience.

Kind regards

PurpleAir Team

I'm just wondering how my due diligence WU actually done on this company before plugging their product?

Looks like they have serious supply issues which means they are not even prepared for orders.

Excuses after excuses usually means one thing......
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline R_o_B

• WxElement panel
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2017, 08:41:34 AM »
Looks like they have serious supply issues which means they are not even prepared for orders.

Excuses after excuses usually means one thing......
Hello Simon.

You will soon find out that their customer service (assistance to any questions) is also very very poor!

I purchased my PurpleAir sensor in March 2017 - that was before the joint venture of Adrionics/Weather Underground. In my first eMail exchanges (before I purchase the sensor), all my questions were promptly answered. After the purchase, as I was trying to find out how to get the most data out of my sensor (such as how to access the 'ThingSpeak.com' cloud database where all the PurpleAir sensors data are stored), well ... I have not received a decent and informative reply other than a poor and outdated link on Google.

I dread (apprehensive/anxious/fear/terrified/worry  ](*,)) of the day when my sensor becomes defective...
R_o_B
---
eMail: weather@herray.net

Offline azchrisf

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2017, 09:34:18 AM »
FYI for everyone - Purpleair sent me a Javascript file to get & calculate the AQI value from the JSON file they have. If anyone wants it let me know.

Problem is, I don't know how to program with Javascript. I do VB.NET, and a tiny bit of PHP.
Does anyone have any PHP scripts that can scrape the value out of the JSON file? I'm trying to directly put the AQI value on my website copperwoodwx.com instead of a link to their map.
My setup:

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2017, 01:10:10 PM »
weather display supports this sensor and calculates the AQI and makes that available as a custom tag and lots of other associated custom tags as well too

Offline donj51

• Garner Weather
  • wind power, runner, weather
    • www.donj51.com
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2017, 10:04:54 AM »
FYI for everyone - Purpleair sent me a Javascript file to get & calculate the AQI value from the JSON file they have. If anyone wants it let me know.

I sure would like the file.  Thanks in advance.

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2017, 10:11:40 AM »

I sure would like the file.  Thanks in advance.
https://www.purpleair.com/json

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline azchrisf

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2017, 10:05:01 AM »
Im sure it will be more time saving just to attach it for those who want it.

In this JSON is a value called stats that has a value "v" inside it.  This is the realtime value in micrograms /m3

We do have some javascript to convert from the micrograms value to an AQI

If this is helpful it is included below.

Kind Regards
Amanda

In JavaScript, this line is how you get it:

var AQI = aqiFromPM(pmvalue);

And here are the functions:

function aqiFromPM(pm) {
      //return 0;
      if (isNaN(pm)) return "-";
      if (pm == undefined) return "-";
      if (pm < 0) return pm;
      if (pm > 1000) return "-";
        /*     
              Good                              0 - 50         0.0 - 15.0         0.0 – 12.0
        Moderate                        51 - 100           >15.0 - 40        12.1 – 35.4
        Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups   101 – 150     >40 – 65          35.5 – 55.4
        Unhealthy                                 151 – 200         > 65 – 150       55.5 – 150.4
        Very Unhealthy                    201 – 300 > 150 – 250     150.5 – 250.4
        Hazardous                                 301 – 400         > 250 – 350     250.5 – 350.4
        Hazardous                                 401 – 500         > 350 – 500     350.5 – 500
        */
        if (pm > 350.5) {
          return calcAQI(pm, 500, 401, 500, 350.5);
        } else if (pm > 250.5) {
          return calcAQI(pm, 400, 301, 350.4, 250.5);
        } else if (pm > 150.5) {
          return calcAQI(pm, 300, 201, 250.4, 150.5);
        } else if (pm > 55.5) {
          return calcAQI(pm, 200, 151, 150.4, 55.5);
        } else if (pm > 35.5) {
          return calcAQI(pm, 150, 101, 55.4, 35.5);
        } else if (pm > 12.1) {
          return calcAQI(pm, 100, 51, 35.4, 12.1);
        } else if (pm >= 0) {
          return calcAQI(pm, 50, 0, 12, 0);
        } else {
          return undefined;
        }

}
      function bplFromPM(pm) {
      //return 0;
      if (isNaN(pm)) return 0;
      if (pm == undefined) return 0;
      if (pm < 0) return 0;
        /*     
        Moderate                        51 - 100           >15.0 - 40        12.1 – 35.4
        Unhealthy                                 151 – 200         > 65 – 150       55.5 – 150.4
        Hazardous                                 301 – 400         > 250 – 350     250.5 – 350.4
        Hazardous                                 401 – 500         > 350 – 500     350.5 – 500
        */
        if (pm > 350.5) {
        return 401;
        } else if (pm > 250.5) {
        return 301;
        } else if (pm > 150.5) {
        return 201;
        } else if (pm > 55.5) {
        return 151;
        } else if (pm > 35.5) {
        return 101;
        } else if (pm > 12.1) {
        return 51;
        } else if (pm >= 0) {
        return 0;
        } else {
        return 0;
//          return undefined;
        }

}
      function bphFromPM(pm) {
      //return 0;
      if (isNaN(pm)) return 0;
      if (pm == undefined) return 0;
      if (pm < 0) return 0;
        /*     
        */
        if (pm > 350.5) {
        return 500;
        } else if (pm > 250.5) {
        return 500;
        } else if (pm > 150.5) {
        return 300;
        } else if (pm > 55.5) {
        return 200;
        } else if (pm > 35.5) {
        return 150;
        } else if (pm > 12.1) {
        return 100;
        } else if (pm >= 0) {
        return 50;
        } else {
        return 0;
//          return undefined;
        }

}

function calcAQI(Cp, Ih, Il, BPh, BPl) {

var a = (Ih - Il);
        var b = (BPh - BPl);
        var c = (Cp - BPl);
        return Math.round((a/b) * c + Il);

}

function getAQIDescription(aqi) {
        if (aqi >= 401) {
          return 'Hazardous';
        } else if (aqi >= 301) {
          return 'Hazardous';
        } else if (aqi >= 201) {
          return 'Very Unhealthy';
        } else if (aqi >= 151) {
          return 'Unhealthy';
        } else if (aqi >= 101) {
          return 'Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups';
        } else if (aqi >= 51) {
          return 'Moderate';
        } else if (aqi >= 0) {
          return 'Good';
        } else {
          return undefined;
        }
      }

function getAQIMessage(aqi) {
        if (aqi >= 401) {
          return '>401: Health alert: everyone may experience more serious health effects';
        } else if (aqi >= 301) {
          return '301-400: Health alert: everyone may experience more serious health effects';
        } else if (aqi >= 201) {
          return '201-300: Health warnings of emergency conditions. The entire population is more likely to be affected. ';
        } else if (aqi >= 151) {
          return '151-200: Everyone may begin to experience health effects; members of sensitive groups may experience more serious health effects.';
        } else if (aqi >= 101) {
          return '101-150: Members of sensitive groups may experience health effects. The general public is not likely to be affected.';
        } else if (aqi >= 51) {
          return '51-100: Air quality is acceptable; however, for some pollutants there may be a moderate health concern for a very small number of people who are unusually sensitive to air pollution.';
        } else if (aqi >= 0) {
          return '0-50: Air quality is considered satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk';
        } else {
          return undefined;
        }
      }
My setup:

Offline Keith Myers

• My Astrophotography photostream
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2017, 05:05:57 PM »
I've had my PA-II installed for a couple of months now. And yes, WU has integrated my sensor into my WU station data. If you click on the Air Quality link in the page for your city or your station, it goes to the air quality readings for PM2.5 and PM10 produced by my sensor. The page pulls ozone levels from the closest Air Quality Management District sensors.  When you click on the map and zoom in you will find your sensor located on the map.  There are not that many sensors so far.  I'm the only one reporting for my county and neighboring counties also have only typically one. Rural Northern California FYI.

I have seen the biggest drivers of PM2.5 pollution being produced by my neighbors fireplace/chimney smoke and what direction the wind is blowing.  The PM10 readings were greatly influenced by the huge winds we had right when I installed the sensor and massive amounts of dust and grit were blowing and also the large forest fires smoke blowing in from other areas.
Thought I'd better join the community since I am getting a PWS tomorrow. The closest ones to my location have been very iffy in providing data to Weather Underground.  I need a WU station to provide my local weather conditions for my PVOutput.org solar generation monitoring.

Offline azchrisf

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2017, 11:21:08 AM »
Incase anyone is interested, I opened up my sensor to take a look.
I took pictures of the board and components. It's basically a cobbled together experiment...not really professional.

Pictures:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8h5wu03y97385ns/AAAH2s3hma7h4qTDHP4ydDoya?dl=0
My setup:

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2017, 12:54:56 PM »
Interesting hardware.... Thanks for the pics
Regards Simon

Offline Eno

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2017, 05:59:19 PM »
Incase anyone is interested, I opened up my sensor to take a look.

I guess I might as well take mine apart too.  Since it won't stay online anymore it's just a paperweight anyway. A $250 paperweight.

December 28 update:  PurpleAir responded in a timely manner to my issue and resolved it with new firmware.

And now on Dec 31 it goes offline again. F-ing A.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 10:00:36 PM by Eno »

Offline Keith Myers

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2017, 09:42:53 PM »
Sorry to hear you have a paperweight now.  Mine has been working flawlessly.  No issues at all.  Hope that continues.  Did you attempt any warranty replacement action?
Thought I'd better join the community since I am getting a PWS tomorrow. The closest ones to my location have been very iffy in providing data to Weather Underground.  I need a WU station to provide my local weather conditions for my PVOutput.org solar generation monitoring.

Offline Eno

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2017, 10:44:07 PM »
Sorry to hear you have a paperweight now.  Mine has been working flawlessly.  No issues at all.  Hope that continues.  Did you attempt any warranty replacement action?

Mine worked flawlessly for 35 days. It's actually working at the moment. I unplugged it for two hours, restored power, and it's up, but if the pattern of the last few days holds, it will be offline by morning.

I learned a lot about my router though and improved my home network.  I specified 802.11 n only mode, determined the best channel, and got the RSSI for the device down from -74 dBm to 58-61 dBm.

I don't see anything about a warranty in their Terms and Conditions.  I sent them an email yesterday describing the problem though.

Offline Keith Myers

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2017, 04:41:06 AM »
It took about a week for a reply from them for a setup difficulty question I posted after I received the unit. I figured it out on my own in a day.  But their reply did in fact match everything I did to get the system up and running on my network.  Have a feeling the company is just a few individuals and the images of the internal construction lends to that observation of basically a hobbyist or kickstarter type of product.

There still is a problem with the map location of my sensor on my account page after login.  I think it has never been updated from the location of the phone I used to get the sensor onto my network.  When you use the US map of sensors and zoom to your location, it is correct though.  The sensor location on the map from the link in Wunderground is correct also. The software seems to still be in infancy.

I make specialized products of my own for hobbyist use.  I back my products unconditionally.  Just the way I feel about the quality of product I produce.

As I stated, not a lick of trouble with my unit.  Been reporting my local air quality for a couple of months now.  Felt the air quality sensor would be a nice addition to my weather station.

Offline tractor

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2017, 05:50:09 PM »
I've had my PA-II installed for a couple of months now. And yes, WU has integrated my sensor into my WU station data. If you click on the Air Quality link in the page for your city or your station, it goes to the air quality readings for PM2.5 and PM10 produced by my sensor. The page pulls ozone levels from the closest Air Quality Management District sensors.  When you click on the map and zoom in you will find your sensor located on the map.  There are not that many sensors so far.  I'm the only one reporting for my county and neighboring counties also have only typically one. Rural Northern California FYI.

Hello, thanks for your post. I am trying to integrate a Purple Air sensor into my existing Davis Instruments PWS that is shown on Weather Underground. I don't see an option on any WU PWS page that shows AQI, but I might be missing something obvious. Do you mind sharing your PWS Station ID so I can look at how it works? I can't have two PWS for one location as our PWS site is very active as far as viewership.

WU will not reply to emails on this matter, so any info you have would help.
Thanks!

Offline Eno

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2017, 05:56:17 PM »

Mine worked flawlessly for 35 days. It's actually working at the moment. I unplugged it for two hours, restored power, and it's up, but if the pattern of the last few days holds, it will be offline by morning.

I learned a lot about my router though and improved my home network.  I specified 802.11 n only mode, determined the best channel, and got the RSSI for the device down from -74 dBm to 58-61 dBm.

I don't see anything about a warranty in their Terms and Conditions.  I sent them an email yesterday describing the problem though.

PurpleAir responded to my issue and then they installed new firmware that looks like it solved the problem. Nicely done PurpleAir!  =D&gt; =D&gt;

Offline Keith Myers

« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2017, 06:15:31 PM »
@Tractor, the AQ sensor doesn't show up on your personal PWS page, but rather for your city location. If you look for your local weather location, there is a Air Quality section about middle of the page, in between the Pollen and UV Index reports.  If you click on the Air Quality box, it takes you to the Air Quality page where it shows the US map with which you can zoom in on your location.  Down at the bottom of the page there is a box labelled "Nearby Pollution Monitors".  That is where my Purple Air PAII is listed as:
IDLOCATIONTIMETYPELEVEL (ΜG/M3)
LCAORLAN1Orland, CA3:08 PMPM10 9.49
LCAORLAN1Orland, CA3:08 PMPM2.5 9.46
https://www.wunderground.com/health/us/ca/orland/95963?cm_ven=localwx_modaq

If you just installed your monitor, I think it takes about a week for Purple Air to export your sensor ID and location to Wunderground to be integrated.

Offline tractor

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2017, 07:01:23 PM »
Thank you!
I hope that Weather Underground would consider duplicating that data on the PWS page. As helpful as it is to have the AQI for the general geographical area, I use WU's weather stickers and people click on the sticker from our homepage and then they can see more detailed data such as UV, etc. It would be great if they could just add a field on the PWS with the current AQI, and maybe a little bar with an arrow next to the number to reflect what a safe range for AQI is. Seems like they already have the data available and shouldn't be too hard to add it to the PWS page. It would be great for tracking historical data also like you can do with other measurements.

Offline Keith Myers

« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2017, 07:10:17 PM »
Yes, exactly my wishes too.  As said, all the exported data is on that geographical location. Shouldn't be difficult to integrate into the PWS page for a station.  There aren't that many elements on the page, should be room to squeeze one more in.

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2017, 11:53:21 PM »
Wish Wunderground would have some "at a glance" PA display on the dashboard that perhaps linked to a detailed air quality page. Even having a separate PWS or PAQM (Personal Air Quality Monitor) page I'd like some linkage with my PWS.

I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline azchrisf

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2017, 05:14:53 AM »
OK guys, for you website creators out there, I have worked up a PHP script that grabs the AQI data from JSON. It uses the code supplied by them and rewritten for PHP.

Format the script for your site, but the basic work is done. You can add more variables for things (v1, v2, v3 etc. are for things like Short term, 30 minutes, etc.)

Enjoy!

My setup:

Offline Keith Myers

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2017, 12:51:59 PM »
Thanks, that script will go a long way for PWS owners who report the data on their own hosted site.

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2017, 12:53:23 PM »
Is it possible to get any data from the unit itself?
Regards Simon