Author Topic: personal air pollution sensor  (Read 16706 times)

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
personal air pollution sensor
« on: July 17, 2017, 11:05:30 PM »
Got this post FaceBook $229.00 to $259.00 to by a sensor.  There is maps to click on at the bottom of the web site. Here is the post on WU https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/purple-airs-250-air-pollution-monitor-gives-government-equipment-run-money?__prclt=mEVwbM1N

Thinking about a personal air pollution sensor? Based on cost and on laboratory and field evaluations by air pollution experts, we recommend the PA-II by PurpleAir (purpleair.com) as the best outdoor air pollution monitor for personal use.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:12:00 PM by mmorris »
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline K8POS

• Melvin Local Weather
Re: personal air pollution sensor
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 01:07:29 PM »
I got the same email as most everyone else did.  I have been giving it serious consideration.
A lot will depend on the ability to integrate some of the data into my own personal web site, not just what Purple air has.
Either Purple air, or WU needs to supply everyone with a widget they can add to their station that will display the current AQI, but then link to the Purple Air for more info.

Bob
Don't like my weather
Get you'r own weather stick!

Offline eliteweathernz

• Weather Enthusiast/ Weather Equipment Support
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 05:51:35 PM »
Hi guys,

Weather Display Software is intergrated with the Purple Air Sensor and data can be displayed.

Depending on the software your using you may have limitations.

I’m sure in time Purple Air will work towards some form of app or other intergration for weather buffs to add data to there website.

Data can be downloaded in JSON format from the website if you know your sensor I’d.

Offline eyecue

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 08:38:21 PM »
The actual sensors are not expensive, but Purple Air uses 2 identical ones to correlate data against itself and provide redundancy.
Cocorahs, Skywarn, Aficionado of weather. Davis VP2  pro wireless, Oregon Scientific and DIY.

Offline K8POS

• Melvin Local Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 11:21:15 AM »
I sent Purple Air an Email,
I asked if they had a target date to include Ozone in their sensor.
After really thinking about it, I would do this once they include Ozone.

Don't like my weather
Get you'r own weather stick!

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 12:44:04 PM »
I'd love to get one too, but it needs to be integrated with WU's station page like Davis Soil/Leaf sensors are, otherwise it's just one more gadget, one more thing I have to go to somewhere seperately to monitor, etc.

Having all the data at your fingertips is key. An API to pull data is important too, such as if I want to populate a SQL DB or a Meteotemplate, etc.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 03:11:12 PM »
There are two ways to access the JSON data:

All sensors: https://www.purpleair.com/json

One entry: https://www.purpleair.com/json?show=<ID> where ID is the “ID” of the sensor you want (in the case of dual laser where ParentID is “null”).

I am thinking of getting one of these to for my area as there are none even from government or local councils.

More info on the fields of data can be gained from contacting them, they are however a bit slow in responding.

afaik there is also a web/widget code they are working on for websites, and WU will be mapping the sensor data too, though not sure if this is tied into your own PWS site on WU.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 03:14:44 PM by Toxic »
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline azchrisf

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 01:52:53 AM »
I pulled my sensor data JSON but it has nothing like their webpage that shows history, etc.
I can't even get the current AQI from the JSON file, not there.

Starting to look like a dud. Map sucks (weird sensors show up on the left), no web widget, poor API...
Hardware is interesting but the key is having software to back it up. You can't even update your sensor info via their website.

Pretty poor IMHO. Wasn't ready for launch.
My setup:

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 06:35:32 AM »
Starting to look like a dud. Map sucks (weird sensors show up on the left), no web widget, poor API...
Hardware is interesting but the key is having software to back it up. You can't even update your sensor info via their website.

Pretty poor IMHO. Wasn't ready for launch.

It does seem they have jumped the gun so to speak. I'm holding off until I hear some more and if WU will add AQI to the users WU Weather Station site.

Would also be nice if this unit could save to a mysql database locally.
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline azchrisf

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 09:42:48 AM »
Yeah I think it's a good idea to hold off until they do some more work on the software.
My setup:

Offline Billbo

• Joelton
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 10:46:52 PM »
I live next to a gas pipeline compressor station, under construction. Anyone want to buy my now worthless property? Short of that, does anyone have a sense of whether the PurpleAir monitor will measure pollutants typical of these facilities...O3, CO, NO2, SO2, PM2.5, PM10, Pb?  Or is this just a simple monitor that says, "Hey, there is stuff in your air, but we don't know what it is"?

My email to PurpleAir went unanswered. Not a good start.

Offline azchrisf

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 12:58:35 AM »
It measures PM 2.5 and PM10, but no gases.
Check the Purpleair Map to see what it will show you.
My setup:

Offline halifax

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 07:34:21 AM »
I have one and it was a seamless install and requires no attention. Just getting ready to update WD and get my data there. My interest is focused on PM2.5 so it works well for me.  It's pretty fascinating to watch the air quality change with the weather/wind patterns here in New England.
Davis VP2+, NOAA POES Rx Station, SkyCam, Sandy Brook BrookCam. WU KCTCOLEB1. CWOP N1QVE. CoCoRaHS CT-LT-15. PurpleAir AQM Colebrook, CT.

Offline Billbo

• Joelton
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 08:52:56 AM »
... It's pretty fascinating to watch the air quality change with the weather/wind patterns here in New England.

Question from victim of a liberal arts education: Do weather/wind patterns in and of themselves affect PM2.5? Or is the change because of what pollutants float in from surrounding areas?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 08:58:45 AM by Billbo »

Offline Billbo

• Joelton
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 09:45:14 AM »
It measures PM 2.5 and PM10, but no gases.
Check the Purpleair Map to see what it will show you.

I just looked at the map. All I see is measurements for PM2.5--not PM10. Is that because PM2.5 is the greater health concern, or am I missing a setting on the map?

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 10:06:46 AM »
Quote from: Billbo
I just looked at the map. All I see is measurements for PM2.5--not PM10. Is that because PM2.5 is the greater health concern, or am I missing a setting on the map?
Dont think your looking on the right area of the map.  click on a site and wait for the details to populate.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 10:09:43 AM by Toxic »
Regards Simon

Offline halifax

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 10:50:05 AM »
... It's pretty fascinating to watch the air quality change with the weather/wind patterns here in New England.

Question from victim of a liberal arts education: Do weather/wind patterns in and of themselves affect PM2.5? Or is the change because of what pollutants float in from surrounding areas?

Particulate-cloud parcels can move with wind patterns.

PM2.5 is particulates <2.5 microns and they tend to stay aloft vs. settle out and travel deeply into the furthest reaches of the lungs. The normal flushing mechanism of the lungs is not very effective at removing them. PM2.5 is generally from human sources with natural contribution almost insignificant. Since I live in a rural area, PM2.5 is a good signature indicator of situations upwind.

Learned a lot about this in grad courses including boundary layer climatology, forest meteorology, and environmental law and policy.
Davis VP2+, NOAA POES Rx Station, SkyCam, Sandy Brook BrookCam. WU KCTCOLEB1. CWOP N1QVE. CoCoRaHS CT-LT-15. PurpleAir AQM Colebrook, CT.

Offline Billbo

• Joelton
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 03:23:51 PM »
Quote from: Billbo
I see in your image where it says, "Short-Term PM2.5 is Low." I see nothing about PM10. What am I missing here?

Offline azchrisf

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 03:43:33 PM »
It focuses on PM 2.5.
Look in the graphs under Particles tab - that is where the PM10 data is.

You can click each different size in the chart key to eliminate all but the one/ones you want.
It does not show text data for PM10, but you can pull it out of the JSON file if you are a web wizard.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 03:49:36 PM by azchrisf »
My setup:

Offline Billbo

• Joelton
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 03:45:49 PM »
It focuses on PM 2.5.
Look in the graphs - that is where the PM10 data is.
Oh, okay. So then, PM10 = 10PM here, correct? I managed to skip chemistry class. :oops:

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2017, 11:21:52 PM »
If I got one it would be interesting how it's readings would compare with the one somebody else in town has installed.  Probably much the same, though.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Eno

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2017, 11:33:34 AM »
If I got one it would be interesting how it's readings would compare with the one somebody else in town has installed.  Probably much the same, though.

Sometimes yes sometimes no.  This morning here in Boise Idaho, no.

Two sensors less than three miles apart, mine reading 117 the other one 77.  I think that one gets some down-drainage flushing at night whereas I'm about 100' higher and farther away from the local foothills. In the daytime the readings tend to converge. boise.purpleair.com

Offline halifax

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2017, 12:06:12 PM »
I've noticed micro-scale events ... such as, cook breakfast with an exhaust fan on and the aerosol from cooking bacon sends the numbers up for a few minutes and then things settle back down ... if it's calm out.

Offline azchrisf

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2017, 12:08:07 PM »
I've noticed micro-scale events ... such as, cook breakfast with an exhaust fan on and the aerosol from cooking bacon sends the numbers up for a few minutes and then things settle back down ... if it's calm out.

This is why it should be placed somewhere it will receive readings representative of the area and away from things like vents that can unnecessarily effect it, but sometimes it's a compromise.
My setup:

Offline halifax

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2017, 12:14:52 PM »
I have mine mounted on the side of the house furthest from the kitchen ... and I live in a ravine ... so in very calm conditions, it's easy for fumigation-type conditions to occur. It's not a common thing, but I did notice it a couple of times and correlated it to the kitchen.

I do like the internal cross-checking and the darn thing just runs and runs without any need to futz around with it.

anything