Author Topic: New Weather station hardware seller (Davis/OS)  (Read 3073 times)

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
New Weather station hardware seller (Davis/OS)
« on: September 24, 2008, 05:31:52 AM »
Hi
came across this new starter into the market:
http://www.proweatherstore.com/
someone might find it usefull
(not sure if allowed to post a link like that here on this part of the forum though,Mods might want to shift it, etc)

Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
Re: New Weather station hardware seller (Davis/OS)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 07:43:37 AM »
If you know where to look. Those prices can be beat.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 01:01:04 PM »
I did a quick check and yeah you can beat their prices and shipping. I checked ProVantage and they had a serial datalogger at $114.95 plus $4.95 for shipping to Illinois. ProWeather shows it at $148.95 with $14.95 shipping. Ambient shows the same thing at $118.95 with $9.98 shipping to Illinois. Davis shows it at $165.00 with $17.00 shipping. If price is your concern .... well you can make the choice. If service is your concern....well I and a few others in the past have a problems with the quality coming from Provantage. Nuff said...they seem to be better. Just the fact my Envoy showed up stoned dead and they wouldn't exchange it. They had to set it up so I could return it to Davis which went from me to them to Davis to them to me and it took a month. I am not knocking anyone or ProWeather...nice to see another company coming in to the mix. 

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 01:05:09 PM »
Check their refund policies before buying.

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 01:33:50 PM »
Can't get everything for the lowest pricing... support, perceived or otherwise, has to be priced into the product sold, the buyer chooses how much hand holding they want versus the cost...

Why couldn't you have sent the unit directly back to the manufacturer for manufacturer warranty issues?

I've made several purchases from Provantage over the years, including my Davis. I had a problem with one product that either had been repackaged broken, or it was broken from the factory (a plastic non-functional portion cracked/broken). They gave me a small credit for my problems. I was satisfied enough...

Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 04:03:26 PM »
Provantage refused to exchange it even though we went round and round on the phone and they told me that it was Davis's problem not theirs. Recently I went to buy a solar sensor from them....the price was the best....but the shipping !!!!! was $30 !!!! Just like you find on an eBay low price. I bought from Ambient.

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 05:02:30 PM »
I am now on the Provantage site, and assuming you are talking about the Davis solar sensor DAVS016, I put it in my cart, and shipping to IL is $4.95... what did you pick for shipping method?

Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 08:00:30 PM »
If you know where to look. Those prices can be beat.
I presume you are refering to
http://www.ambientweather.com
?
(why not just post that link?)
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 08:06:29 PM »
Pro Weather Store only has one OS product (a weather radio), almost seems like why bother listing that they are an authorized reseller.... and they dont ship to Canada.. oh well.  I like Ambient, but they only use UPS, and UPS to Canada sucks...

Andrew
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 08:08:34 PM by mackbig »

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 10:28:15 PM »
good point about OS on their site...I had not noticed that.....I should not have put that in the thread title, my bad
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline NiceBill

• Forecaster
  • Texas Township, Illinois
    • Texas Township, Clinton, Illinois 61727  Weather
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 10:47:56 PM »
Pro Weather Store only has one OS product (a weather radio), almost seems like why bother listing that they are an authorized reseller.... and they dont ship to Canada.. oh well.  I like Ambient, but they only use UPS, and UPS to Canada sucks...

Andrew

Andrew --- you need a friend. :-)

Bill,<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< :-)
[note: Bill passed away December 31, 2008 -- Rest in Peace Bill, you'll be missed!]

Offline mchallis

• Long Beach, WA Weather
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 10:56:36 PM »
Since you started the thread anyway I will chime in. I (Mike Challis) am the founder of Pro Weather Store
http://www.proweatherstore.com

The site is new and I am still adding products, working on the site, etc. That is why some of the products (ie: Oregon Scientific) are not completely there. It will grow with products and features in the coming weeks.

I stock the weather stations I sell. Soon there will be an "In stock" indicator on the item page. My Davis prices are 10% off their retail. I will give wxforum.net users a coupon code for an extra 5% off, see my signature, I have asked the admins for permission to put it there. That makes 15% off and free 48 state shipping for Davis stations. The coupon can be used again and again. Put an item in the cart, then enter the coupon code on the Cart Contents page.
The internet has many competing sites, I know mine is not the cheapest. Sometimes there is a balance between price vs. service. I will try to have good customer service. I do not expect everybody will buy from my store, but to those that do, I promise to provide excellent customer service.

My other business I founded in 1999 www.CarMosaic.com is a Better Business Bureau accredited business. I plan on having the same high level of customer service with Pro Weather Store and will be registering it with the BBB soon.

If you look at my "About Us" page you may note that I am a friend to the weather community.
http://www.proweatherstore.com/about-us.php
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 11:55:11 PM by mchallis »

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 04:12:09 PM »
Bill, are you volunteering?

Andrew

Andrew --- you need a friend. :-)

Bill,<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< :-)

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 06:04:34 PM »
I am now on the Provantage site, and assuming you are talking about the Davis solar sensor DAVS016, I put it in my cart, and shipping to IL is $4.95... what did you pick for shipping method?

I thought it defaulted to ground but now I am not sure.

Mike, thanks for joining in here. I know we all wish you the best of luck with Proweather ! Maybe we need a vendors forum here...where we can interact directly with the owners or spoke persons.