Author Topic: Thunder Snow  (Read 3644 times)

Offline jruys

• Yo
  • Senior Contributor
    • Highlands Ranch Weather
Thunder Snow
« on: February 02, 2008, 12:13:04 AM »
The time is 10:00pm on 2/1/2008 and the current temperature is 28F, lighting and thundering, and snowing just South of Denver.  Quite interesting :shock:

Offline up10ad N9RJH

• USA Weather Finder
  • WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
  • Station will be back up someday...
    • Forecaster without a site
Re: Thunder Snow
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 12:39:29 AM »
Yep, we has some of that a few days ago here in Delta.  Strange sight and sound.
Rick (N9RJH)
Have you joined USAWeatherFinder.com yet?

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 01:50:14 AM »
I experienced this quite a few years ago.  I had to snowmobile to a transmitter on top of a mountain in the middle of a snowstorm.  Just as I got to the site I thought I heard thunder, but thought it was something else.  Then as soon as I was in the building a lightning bolt struck the 197 foot tower right next to the building, which blew out the generator transfer panel and left me in the dark.  I left the metal door cracked open.  There were a half dozen more direct strikes on the tower, each one proceeded by a Jacob's Ladder effect going up the crack in the door.  So between two flat tires that day and being in the middle of a thunderstorm on top of a mountain with a 197 foot lightning rod... can't say it was one of my best days.  :D
Joe Torsitano

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 08:15:55 AM »
Most generally. Any time there is thunder and ligntning during a snow storm it is usually snowing very heavily. Atleast it has been the two times I've experienced it.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 08:54:40 AM »
We get that a lot around here with the intense bands of lake effect snow
off of Lake Ontario
Tony

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 04:27:23 PM »
It is common for it to happen-and cool.

You may be in for a lot of snow.

A weather man said thundersnow can bring 12 inches.

Keep us posted on how much you get.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline jruys

• Yo
  • Senior Contributor
    • Highlands Ranch Weather
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 10:37:13 AM »
Where I was, we only got around a half an inch, there was a little more just to the North of us, but it was a pretty quick moving storm.  Fun to watch though:)

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 08:45:34 PM »
I experienced this quite a few years ago.  I had to snowmobile to a transmitter on top of a mountain in the middle of a snowstorm.  Just as I got to the site I thought I heard thunder, but thought it was something else.  Then as soon as I was in the building a lightning bolt struck the 197 foot tower right next to the building, which blew out the generator transfer panel and left me in the dark.  I left the metal door cracked open.  There were a half dozen more direct strikes on the tower, each one proceeded by a Jacob's Ladder effect going up the crack in the door.  So between two flat tires that day and being in the middle of a thunderstorm on top of a mountain with a 197 foot lightning rod... can't say it was one of my best days.  :D

Friend of mine was in a tower's transmitter building when lightning struck.  His description of the Jacob's ladder effect was very similar to yours, seen it around the ceiling as well.  Only he was lucky that when the generator kicked in to his surprise everything came back on.  He was still new to the job at the time and I guess the boss told him after that if he heard thunder to get the heck out of there ahead of time.   :lol:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 08:52:16 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 01:07:03 AM »
Only he was lucky that when the generator kicked in to his surprise everything came back on.
I wish I would have been so lucky.  Once I didn't hear thunder for about half an hour I got into the generator panel and had to bypass part of a three-phase power system to get something back on.  Then there was the damage to the transmitter... only three blown rectifiers luckily.  :D  I was also lucky cell phones hadn't come to that area of the country yet.  You may say "but you could call for help."  But I didn't have the station owner or anyone else calling me every ten minutes asking why it wasn't back on.  Sometimes lack of technology was a blessing.  :D

Joe Torsitano