Author Topic: Fire across the canyon...  (Read 3999 times)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Fire across the canyon...
« on: December 20, 2006, 12:22:44 PM »
This morning (20 Dec 2006) about 7AM, I was out on the street retrieving my LA Times. Across the canyon I noticed what looked like a small cloud or fog bank, except it was a little too blue, more like smoke.

There are a couple more pics and more info about the incident in the SLOweather blog.

Offline microwiz3

• http://www.thewxwizard.com
Re: Fire across the canyon...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 08:56:25 PM »
Nice catch Chris! (from a USFS Lookout!).  Now you know what I see in the early AM. (Breckenridge Mtn. east of Bakersfield).  Back in Indiana for the winter now though.  Probably will move to another tower next Spring. Take care.  :shock:   8)

Terry S.
www.thewxwizard.com (down till sometime tomorrow w/problems)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 09:13:03 PM »
Chris,

Yes, next catch but is that "snow" I see on the ground or is it just bare earth? I heard you had snow in SLO this past week...
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 09:24:45 PM »
Thanks M-wiz.

Nope, Don, no snow. If the forecasted storm had materialized last weekend, we might have had some on the surrounding mountains, but it didn't. I haven't seen snow fall in town since '75 or '76.

However, last night was the coldest of the season so far at SLOweather, 30.0 F up at the house from where that pic was taken, so the low down in the canyon was probably 28 or 29. That's likely frost you are seeing. I was too focused on the fire to notice.

Yesterday, one of my co-workers got 4 snowballs worth of frost "snow" off his truck which he stored in the break room fridge freezer until his office mate showed up. The the pelting ensued.