Author Topic: 819 Heavy Weather History Files?  (Read 5121 times)

Offline Bob Carruth

819 Heavy Weather History Files?
« on: October 05, 2012, 08:26:18 PM »
Imagine my surprise when I discovered while doing a search in the Windows folder for files modified today that I had Heavy Weather History files in Windows. A quick search for all .dat files turned up 819 now described as HeavyWeather History Files.

Easy enough to fix but why do software developers have the arrogance to change the file type description of one of the most commonly used extensions to reflect their on product? :mad:
Bob

The only dumb questions are the ones not asked.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: 819 Heavy Weather History Files?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 08:58:34 PM »
Imagine my surprise when I discovered while doing a search in the Windows folder for files modified today that I had Heavy Weather History files in Windows. A quick search for all .dat files turned up 819 now described as HeavyWeather History Files.

Easy enough to fix but why do software developers have the arrogance to change the file type description of one of the most commonly used extensions to reflect their on product? :mad:

I'm not sure what it is you mean with "Easy enough to fix" but the History.dat files generated by the Heavyweather Pro program can be stored anywhere on your P.C. that you designate. In the program location, "Extras / Options" is the directory you can set (name and location) along with where you can change the "History.dat" filename to whatever you like. I let mine write as "History##.dat" (## is the year) and save them off to memory sticks monthly as "mon/yr.dat" files.

Offline Bob Carruth

Re: 819 Heavy Weather History Files?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 09:01:58 AM »
Dan,

What I'm complaining about is that the Heavy Weather install modifies the Windows registry so that all dat files appear as "HeavyWeather History File" in the "Type" column of Windows Explorer. Since just about every application on a Windows PC uses the .dat extension to identify a data file none of which contain Heavy Weather data the Heavy Weather developers shouldn't modify that registry entry.
Bob

The only dumb questions are the ones not asked.

anything