Author Topic: Bad weather brings hits to website  (Read 4141 times)

jwyman

Bad weather brings hits to website
« on: September 08, 2008, 10:46:39 AM »
If Hanna didn't produce much winds or rain, it did brings hits to my site. I usually average ~30-40 hits / day but Hanna brought a total of ~120 visitors to the site on Sat during the height of Hanna's impact... Thanks everyone who stopped by... It's sad that it takes bad weather to bring users to a site and not the ther way around, but I guess that's the nature of the beast!

Jim

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
Re: Bad weather brings hits to website
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 11:00:15 AM »
That just goes to show you how important your weather data is. It's there when it's needed the most.

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 12:46:49 PM »
And the converse is also true... Yesterday was very underwhelming here... highs is the low 70's with a light breeze from the north.  I average around 100 hits a day and yesterday had a whopping 46.  A mild wind or rain storm will put me over 200.  Last year I went over 500 on a high wind advisory.  I was just recently put on a couple of community web pages as the "official" weather site.  It will be interesting to see what this winter brings....

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 07:11:23 PM »
And a nice article about you station in your local paper doesn't hurt either.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 08:57:47 PM »
...  I was just recently put on a couple of community web pages as the "official" weather site.  It will be interesting to see what this winter brings.....

That could be a good excuse to the better half as to your need for a second spare weather station in case the first one breaks.  O:)
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 10:54:05 PM »
Oh.... Mark.... I like your style.  And I thought I was "King" of cost justification in spousal relationships....

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 11:13:02 PM »
Oh.... Mark.... I like your style.  And I thought I was "King" of cost justification in spousal relationships....

Greg

I should however warn you that you are pondering taking spousal relationship advice from a life long bachelor.   :lol:
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 11:33:26 PM »
Ooooops  #-o......  However, any convincing language with regard to investment in weather equipment can only be interpreted as GREAT advice.....

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS