Author Topic: My Website Is In Transition - Almost Done.  (Read 1284 times)

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
My Website Is In Transition - Almost Done.
« on: July 10, 2019, 10:22:46 AM »
After struggling with broken FTP updates for several weeks on https://www.gwwilkins.org, I finally contacted GoDaddy tech support this morning.  I apparently was one of the last on their old Linux servers which are soon to be phased out.  Hence the broken uploads.

I agreed to move to the new cPanel Linux servers and the transition will occur sometime over the next several hours/days.  Meanwhile my testing server, http://www.selincolnwx.info, is available for limited usage.  It's not quite fully functional and relies on my main site for several scripts such as my GRLevel3 radar output.  But it's updating...

I'm not redirecting my main site to my testing server, so it will remain broken until the transition is complete and all scripts have been tested on the new server and updated where necessary.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 11:40:06 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
Re: My Website Is In Transition
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 12:09:49 PM »
Good luck Jerry.

I also was on one of the old Linux servers from GoDaddy. Got the same notice that they were being replaced.

Moved my site over a few months ago and it was a struggle getting the FTP squared away. A lot of stuff in my root directory needed
to be FTP'ed to the /public_html now it seemed. Took me 4 or 5 days to get everything live once again after a lot of issues.

Good luck!
Tony

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
Re: My Website Is In Transition
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 12:56:26 PM »
Thanks, Tony.  I have a similar ftp directory setup on my Linux Debian testing server.

Even after I explained that mine is a complex site, the representative said 'Our team will take care of it.'  I didn't snicker or say anything snide, but I thought to myself, 'Yeah, right!'
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
Re: My Website Is In Transition - Almost Done.
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 12:04:52 AM »
As of 10:30 CDT today my website's migration is done.  I also changed to PHP 7.3 in order to avoid future problems.

Quick testing shows me that the databases weren't migrated, but the cPanel 'Visitors' log seems to be working fairly well to keep track of who's online so I won't worry about restoring that one.

I also have several other pages/scripts that need revision, but all-in-all things are shaping up to be much better than on the old server.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
Re: My Website Is In Transition - Almost Done.
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 02:14:06 PM »
I'm still finding issues here and there with the new site, many of them related to file permissions.  I struggled with the BOMap updates until I was able to get those permissions relaxed quite a bit.  Meanwhile the error.log was filling up with many megabytes at an alarming rate!

I also had a problem with the 'stateextremes.php/usaextremes.php' cache.  Deleting the old cache proved to be the solution.  We'll see if it updates tomorrow.

While my old server was stuttering and failing during the migration and before gwwilkins.org pointed to the new server at GoDaddy's tech support's suggestion I updated all of my ftp processes to use the new server's IP address.  They are performing nicely and now don't rely on any DNS servers.

My old jpGraph version no longer worked, so I moved to V4.2 and my graphs that rely on it worked once again.  I did have to copy the ariel fonts from the old to the new version.

GoDaddy tech support kindly held my hand on several occasions through this migration, and I wouldn't recommend trying to do this without their excellent guidance.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

anything