Author Topic: PWS View Count  (Read 3943 times)

Offline jjudson

PWS View Count
« on: October 22, 2014, 08:20:34 PM »
How does WeatherUnderground calculate the PWS view count?  I just installed my Davis Vantage Pro 2 station at the end of last month and for the month of October, I have over 11,000 views already, which far surpasses any of the surrounding stations.  I generally leave the WeatherUnderground PWS station view up for my station on a browser on my desktop all day every day.  Does this bump up the count?  The browser doesn't reload, but the data does refresh on the graphics every 30 seconds or so.

Has anyone ever gotten a good read on what they count as a "view"?
<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KNCJEFFE2&freq=&units=english&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KNCJEFFE2&freq=&units=english&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

Offline dj1111s

• Weather obsessed
  • Forecaster
  • The "d" cloud.
Re: PWS View Count
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 08:32:25 PM »
Do a reload of your station on WU and watch the counter.  Mine is currently counting 3 per reload/visit.
Vantage Pro2 Plus W/FARS, wireless anemometer, bucket heater with temperature sensor. Envoy, VP2 and Vue consoles. Meteobridge. Weatherlink Live. AirLink. Soil and leaf station. Attic temp and humidity.
Trained Storm Spotter
Member CoCoRaHS
You will never find me on Facebook or Twitter or any other social media!!!

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 08:50:47 PM »
It has been screwed up ever since the new owners bought it and started making changes for no good reason.  sometimes it counts 1 sometimes 3 and sometimes who knows.   It is meaningless.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 09:24:33 PM »
I received this from WU last April
Hello,

A view is whenever someone searches for weather and your station comes up. In general, we will show the station closest to the viewer's location.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thank you,
William
Wunderground Support
Helpful? Click to give William thanks!

On Apr 21, 2014 at 7:13 PM PaulMy <xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My IONTARIO226 page shows - 1523 views since April 1, 2014. Can you advise what constitutes a view. Based on the number of visits to my personal weather website I suspect there would not be over 1,500 visitors that have actually visited my IONTARIO226 page on WU so far this month so am interested what triggers a view.

Thank you,
Paul.
so to me that indicates that whenever someone searches for weather for your city/area and your pws shows on the listing of stations in the area that is a count (or as some have seen count x 3).

Paul

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 11:29:46 PM »
I average about 3,000 views per month. My record is 17,000 views in the April of 2012. I'm going to take a wild guess and say around 10% of those are actual views from people. I know many people in my area have never heard of Weather Underground and rely on overrated TWC. The local news channels worship TWC. It's a modern day evil.

I will say however that I began sending to WU in the December of 2009. January 2010 was the first full month of sending the data. I used to leave the PWS page up in my browser 24/7 as well. Today I have my computer WX exclusive. No browser period due to virus vulnerability. My views to date for October 2014 are in the same ballpark as they were January 2010. Around 3000-5000 per month.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 08:27:35 AM »
I was thinking maybe the data going to WU was being counted somehow. Plus like mentioned, reload page and every reload counts as 3 views. Out of 1000 I would think its more like 10 actual views.
Randy

Offline ALITTLEweird1

• Mark
  • Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • North Bend Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 09:03:46 AM »
Viewed 9193 times since October 1, 2014
"Nature can do without man, but man cannot do without nature."

Software: WeatherDisplay
Hardware: Davis VP2 + VP2 Solar + VP2 UV + Lightning Detector + Logitech Webcam + Soil temp + Soil Moisture

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 10:18:32 AM »
Could be with google linked with WU when anyone checks the weather these PWS are getting more hits than expected , but still the fact that every reload counts as 3 hits says somethings wrong with the counter.
Randy

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 04:07:35 PM »
Forgot to ask but has anyone else here out of curiosity Googled their PWS ID or name to see where
where it shows up? I know some news websites use Wunderground's data.

http://weather.wfaa.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?brand=wfaa&target=wfaa&query=McKinney,TX

I know the WFAA is a popular news channel here in North Texas. Maybe Wunderground Is counting hits to external sites?
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 05:17:40 PM »
I know I posted before

Thought I saw somewhere that when your WU banner is viewed, that counts as a hit too.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline dj1111s

• Weather obsessed
  • Forecaster
  • The "d" cloud.
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 06:16:27 PM »
A while back when others were reporting the "triple count" mine was only counting one per visit.  And it remained that way for a long time.  Then one month I broke a record number of views.  Was really proud until I found it was counting 3.  It eventually went back to counting 1 again.  But recently when all the WU issues started it went back to 3.
Vantage Pro2 Plus W/FARS, wireless anemometer, bucket heater with temperature sensor. Envoy, VP2 and Vue consoles. Meteobridge. Weatherlink Live. AirLink. Soil and leaf station. Attic temp and humidity.
Trained Storm Spotter
Member CoCoRaHS
You will never find me on Facebook or Twitter or any other social media!!!