Author Topic: 5-in-1 Dual Solar Panel Possible heat reason?  (Read 5646 times)

Offline kevink619

• My G+
Re: 5-in-1 Dual Solar Panel Possible heat reason?
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2014, 06:08:58 PM »
Ugh.  So, even with the extra solar panel, my station is still showing the temperature as 3 - 6 degrees above neighboring stations.  :-(   I will say that I have my station mounted on a pole above my black concrete tile roof.  Maybe the roof is reflecting heat onto the unit?

Kevin

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2014, 07:51:09 PM »
If you are over a roof, chances are very high that the fan pulling air through the bottom vent will be drawing in the heat rising off the roof. If the fan was blowing "backwards" then you would be better off, drawing air in from the top and pushing it out the bottom, but still you would likely be a few degrees warm.

If accurate temps are your goal, I would try to find another suitable location, even if it's only 5 or 10 ft off of grass. If wind is more desirable, then the roof may have to do.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2014, 08:07:16 PM »
Ugh.  So, even with the extra solar panel, my station is still showing the temperature as 3 - 6 degrees above neighboring stations.  :-(   I will say that I have my station mounted on a pole above my black concrete tile roof.  Maybe the roof is reflecting heat onto the unit?

Kevin

See the NOAA recommendation below.  I'm not familiar with black concrete tile roofs, but I suspect that's going to be a big problem.

The aspiration fan isn't intended to overcome heat issues of the local environment... only the heat issues introduced by the enclosure itself.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/coop/standard.htm

Temperature sensor siting: The sensor should be mounted 5 feet +/- 1 foot above the ground. The ground over which the shelter [radiation] is located should be typical of the surrounding area. A level, open clearing is desirable so the thermometers are freely ventilated by air flow. Do not install the sensor on a steep slope or in a sheltered hollow unless it is typical of the area or unless data from that type of site are desired. When possible, the shelter should be no closer than four times the height of any obstruction (tree, fence, building, etc.). The sensor should be at least 100 feet from any paved or concrete surface.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2014, 09:52:19 AM »
Temperature sensor siting: The sensor should be mounted 5 feet +/- 1 foot above the ground. The ground over which the shelter [radiation] is located should be typical of the surrounding area. A level, open clearing is desirable so the thermometers are freely ventilated by air flow. Do not install the sensor on a steep slope or in a sheltered hollow unless it is typical of the area or unless data from that type of site are desired. When possible, the shelter should be no closer than four times the height of any obstruction (tree, fence, building, etc.). The sensor should be at least 100 feet from any paved or concrete surface.

With an all in one, you cannot mount just by the temperature recommendation. You must consider the anemometer, and that is what Kevin did by putting his 5 in 1 on the roof. Acurite says at least 5 feet or more, based on my experience, I would say at least 10 feet, and 20 would be better, but over land.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2014, 10:43:20 AM »
 :roll:

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2014, 12:08:57 PM »
 [-X

Offline kevink619

• My G+
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2014, 02:16:16 PM »
nincehelser and DoctorKnow,

Yeah, I think I need to either mount my 5-in-1 on a really tall pole or mount it out a few feet and up from the gable of my roof.  This way I'll get the height needed for the wind without the heat from the roof affecting the temperature readings.  My property is on the side of a hill - with the house near the top of the hill - so I need a lot of height for the wind speed and direction to be correct.  Of course I want the temperature to be right, too...

Meanwhile I've also ordered some 1N5406 diodes and a two more solar panels.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2014, 11:37:57 AM »
Kevin,
I see that MADIS gave you a red X. I guess you'll need to move the sensor off the roof, or on the side maybe where the bottom is over the ground instead of the shingles.

Offline kevink619

• My G+
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2014, 09:18:12 PM »
Yeah.  I've moved the sensor to a pole in an open area of my backyard.  Also, I finally got the diodes - so I've added east and west facing solar panels for the aspiration fan.  Looking forward to seeing how the new location and three solar panel configuration works beginning tomorrow.

Kevin

Kevin,
I see that MADIS gave you a red X. I guess you'll need to move the sensor off the roof, or on the side maybe where the bottom is over the ground instead of the shingles.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2014, 08:43:28 AM »
My station is on a couple of TV stations now, so I am glad I have good temperature readings.

Offline kevink619

• My G+
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2014, 11:44:25 AM »
Nice.  Well, so far it's been a foggy morning - so no real test of the additional solar panels or new location just yet.  Once the sun comes out I'll keep ya posted on the results.

Kevin

My station is on a couple of TV stations now, so I am glad I have good temperature readings.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2014, 07:55:33 PM »
Readings look better now Kevin, and even the wind looks real good. I feel mine under reports wind speeds. The thing will be spinning like crazy and only say 12 MPH.

Offline kevink619

• My G+
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2014, 08:18:23 PM »
Readings look better now Kevin, and even the wind looks real good. I feel mine under reports wind speeds. The thing will be spinning like crazy and only say 12 MPH.

Yeah.  My temperature readings very closely matched those of neighboring stations.  Moving the sensor away from the roof and adding the extra solar panels did the trick.

Kevin

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2014, 08:23:04 PM »
How high off the ground? Is it really windy outside? I saw 9 MPH wind almost steady when I was watching. That seemed to be as good or better reading that the neighboring stations.

Offline kevink619

• My G+
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2014, 08:27:36 PM »
The station is about 10 feet off the ground.

How high off the ground? Is it really windy outside? I saw 9 MPH wind almost steady when I was watching. That seemed to be as good or better reading that the neighboring stations.

Offline bvstation

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2014, 01:55:18 PM »
I sent my dual panel in a week ago to get looked at..this was the response I just got.

At Chaney Instrument Co., we strive to make best-in-class products that deliver exceptional performance and quality. We apologize that your experience with our product did not meet these expectations.
Our quality technicians have processed your return and determined it could not be repaired. Therefore, a warranty replacement product has been ordered for you and will be sent to the shipping address we have on file. The product is currently on back order until approx. mid November. You will receive a confirmation email with tracking information when the product has shipped.

We sincerely apologize for the delay and inconvenience this may have caused. We want the best for our customers and appreciate your continued patience and loyalty.

Have a great day,

I had them pay my shipping costs to get it to them too! So I'll wait and see what the other one does when I get it.

Offline kevink619

• My G+
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2014, 12:45:37 AM »
So, moving my 5-in-1 from the roof to a pole - and adding the east and west-facing solar panels - has made for much more accurate daytime temperature readings.  :-)

Kevin

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2014, 07:55:23 AM »
I moved my 5 N 1 yesterday to a pole on the ground. I didn't realize just how perfectly level this unit has to be for the wind direction to be right. I could not achieve that where it was because I could not see the bubble level. I also found the spot to put my rectangular magnets that tames the wind vane, and that is right under the bearing. Now my weather vane does not keep going back to the south when the wind is from the north. Also my temperature and humidity seem to be just as good, maybe a little lower. The only thing now that I think will suffer is the wind speed, but with an all in one, I guess that is expected.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2014, 08:33:57 AM »
I do not recommend magnets.

I studied my setup carefully, and see now that the magnets are pulling toward the mounting pole. This puts the wind vane pointing toward the west, which happened to be close to where the wind was out of yesterday, but once the wind turned calm, I started turning the vane other directions, and it would just get pulled back west.

Maybe now that the unit is level, the vane won't go round and round.

I do have a slight temp problem now, and the fan is running, but temps are 2 degrees high in the sun at 6.5' . It's the built in panel making heat I think.

So I live with that or put it back up high and live with the wind direction being off sometimes...

Offline bvstation

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2014, 03:27:49 PM »
New dual panel top is on its way apparently... and this was the reason for the other being bad which others have already discovered here.

Evidently the intermittent fan can often be caused by an unequal current between the solar panels.  This was corrected and is no longer an issue. 

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2014, 04:46:54 PM »
My acurite is running 5 degrees too high as the sun sets in the evenings. It is worse this time of the year than it was in the summer. Even with the fan running. The temp seems to drop down once the fan stops!