Author Topic: My lightning detector experiences...So far...!  (Read 34506 times)

Offline meteolarissa

• Personal weather station in North Greece
    • Current Weather in Larissa , Greece
Re: My lightning detector experiences...So far...!
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2010, 05:25:12 AM »
MADAL thank you ,we had talked before some months and you suggested me the same....
Racenet if i had money to spend i would <play for all combinations>,R u strupids?NO , some of you have experience to advice me about so i asked you...
we WEATHER  enthousiastics help each other :grin: :grin: :grin:
So i have one more question.....MadAL -Racenet or other person could i use ld250 with l2000 or tracker is better???
I have usb connection to laptop and its best for me the ld250..Could i use ld250 or the advantages of tracker must make me decide tracker totally??

thank u guys help me... :-) :-) :-) =D&gt; =D&gt;
MeteoLarissa PWS,Thessalia,Greece.VP2 6153 with Heater and Solar Sensor.Camera Creative Live+ Logitech pro9000+ +Weatherlink+WD10.37+VWS+VP+Wxsolution++++ etc

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2010, 06:40:05 AM »
meteolarissa
If you only have a laptop I think you are stuck with the ld250.  Unless you get a pc, or an expensive and rare external pci dock there is no way for you to use a stormtracker.

As for which is better. Stormtracker also detects type of lightning, ld250 just does strikes and its $240 more, but its "mobile".  Have to weigh all the variables and how they apply to you.

As for software, pretty sure both have a trial version.

Andrew

reason for edit: dumb pre latte typo.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 10:06:02 AM by mackbig »

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2010, 09:55:20 AM »
Yes, as Andrew stated, both have trial versions, so you can try each one, before you make a purchase.

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline meteolarissa

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2010, 12:31:59 PM »
Τhank you guys(Bob and Andrew) for so much democrasy :lol: :lol: :lol: :grin: :grin:
I will think which i will buy and then work the 2 software trials and then decide.... #-o #-o
I wish i could depend on your experiances , but i must do all homework alone :lol: :lol:
Anyway thank you all guys....
Any other suggestions cuz experiance are welcome....
Andrew i know the diferencies between 2 bolteks....I dnt know if have accurancy diference..!!!???
I have no problem pay more for ld250 if i have no other choice...
But is the same in quality and accurancy???
If yes u help me....if not i have to work to my desktop pc and move all my stuff to laptop..., so use pcl to pc.... #-o #-o

Vassilis , \:D/ \:D/
 Larisa city Greece
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 12:36:08 PM by meteolarissa »
MeteoLarissa PWS,Thessalia,Greece.VP2 6153 with Heater and Solar Sensor.Camera Creative Live+ Logitech pro9000+ +Weatherlink+WD10.37+VWS+VP+Wxsolution++++ etc

Offline Dragoon

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2010, 01:04:06 AM »
Howdy Vassilis!

Your choice won't be too hard once you know what it is you want from your lightning detector and software!

If your plan is a slick website with snazzy live-updated graphics, then the war is over: use NexStorm.

On the other hand, if you ain't too worried about the online side of things and are more interested in the wheres and how muchs of lightning activity, the path is clear: Lightning/2000.

As I said in earlier posts, BOTH applications do a downright fantastic job of the things they do best.

Have fun evaluating... I know I sure did!

Offline meteolarissa

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2010, 08:21:16 PM »
Dragon you talk right but i see all alwayz never answer to questions but just leave you with no answers....
There are many pplz here work with the boltek and these 2 softwares....
All or most of them say the same answer...
I checked older threats about comparison software or the 2 boltek hardware and there is the same answer....I ask about <white shirt> and all answer about <all shirts> in shop.
Finaly after 1 year i check 5-6 nexstorm sites in greece n only 1 light2000 is that for detail and close activity l2000 is much much better.The nexstorm is good enough for 200-600km but not even good to close than 100km..
So i need accurancy n not on line luxury so its ok i decide L2000....
Lets go to hardware now...
The same story too...Most pplz work bolteks answer about tracker advantage to strike determonation. I know it. My question is about final result diferrencies...Is the same accurancy in analysis and final map???
Have these 2 bolteks diferencies to result on map??
I know about determination....I just ask if i cant buy tracker and buy finaly ld250 i will have same ACCURANCY in incoming data and analysis on map or not???
These are my questions and no answer till now from most knowing both hardware and software.... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Anywy thank you for your time answer my questions.
I hope soon and after i have worked with my boltek n 1 software ,to know some things and i will open treat to describe  to the future buyers my experiance in detail :grin: :grin: =D&gt; =D&gt; \:D/ \:D/

blackjack52

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2010, 01:36:22 PM »
This is the difference b/w pci and LD250:

Until version 4.6 of Lightning/2000, the range of lightning was always determined by examining groups of flashes and performing complex statistical analyses.  Though this technique has been greatly refined over the years, there was always the possibility that mother nature could throw us a curve ball and cause us to come up with a less-than-accurate range.

Now for the first time, we can say with certainty that some individual flashes of lightning have occurred nearby, without resorting to an analysis that can sometimes be prone to inaccuracies.  This is a major breakthrough in technology, and (to the best of our knowledge) is a technology not present in any other personal lightning detection system.

The older statistical technique for determining when a storm is nearby has been retained for the time being when using the LD-250.  This is because the new "nearby flash" technique works better the when more strokes are detected.  Since the LD-250 inherently will detect fewer strokes than the StormTracker card, the new technique is a bit more uncertain when using the LD-250.  When using the StormTracker card, we now depend solely on the new technique to determine when a storm is nearby.

I know this, using the ld250, when I zoom into 50mi or less, strikes are accurately plotted. That doesn't happen w/ Nexstorm.

Offline meteolarissa

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2010, 06:13:18 PM »
Lee this the thing i was asking for....Thank you so much..So its much better even with ld250 to detect nearby strikes now.... \:D/ \:D/
Anyway now its better for me to choose the partner of l2000.....Im loooking to ld250 same like pcl card...
 #-o #-o
Have a nice day and Lee i will check and look your detector some more even i dnt know when thunderstorm activity begin to your region... =D&gt; =D&gt; =D&gt;

Friendly,,,
Vassilis.
Larissa. Greece

blackjack52

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2010, 10:33:04 AM »
No prob Larissa. Next month will start storm season.

Offline relko

• Astrogenic Systems
    • Astrogenic Systems
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2010, 10:53:26 AM »
I'm the author of NexStorm. Below are links to screenshots of my own Boltek/NexStorm system for a few different active days in 2008 and 2009, all except one showing storms within 100 km range. The NexStorm lightning data is compared to the Swedish national lightning detection network and doppler radar via the inset images. There was no calibration used other than directional antenna alignment. Only the last image was generated by replaying archived data, all the others were captured in real-time. The last screenshot shows lightning strikes captured very close to my location which eventually forced me to shut down my Boltek system and prevented further tracking. The associated inset image is 10 minutes more recent than the NexStorm screenshot and shows a strike cluster over a location which on the NexStorm map corresponds to the Arlanda Intl. airport symbol. The airport is roughly 3 kilometers away from the antenna location as the crow flies. The last recorded strike in NexStorm was ranged at 3 kilometers, as evident by the reading in the last strike bearing indicator in the upper right corner of the user interface.

http://www.astrogenic.com/images2/comp/20080613_SMHI.png
http://www.astrogenic.com/images2/comp/20080707_SMHI.png
http://www.astrogenic.com/images2/comp/20080712m_SMHI.png
http://www.astrogenic.com/images2/comp/20090703_smhi.png

Now, how about we see some actual DATA comparisons from the L2K proponents? That is, instead of the repeated unsubstantiated claims about L2K being more accurate, or worse, having to read unedited advertisement crap pasted directly from Aninoquisi's web site?

To make it clear, I am not trying to sway anyone into buying my software but hopefully the above will be sufficient to disprove the false claims being spread here that L2K is generally more accurate than NexStorm for close storm ranging. I am not disputing that for some users L2K may be more accurate than NexStorm. But, it is important to realize that the reverse is also true in at least as many other cases. Making generic statements that one software has a clear advantage over the other in terms of accuracy, as some characters have done here repeatedly, is pure nonsense. Sometimes it may simply be down to differences in how a person interprets the on-screen information, in other cases it may be that one software works better than the other in certain types of environments. Nothing strange about that but you won't know for sure until you try both. Contrary to L2K, NexStorm is available as a free and fully working Lite edition which will detect lightning and enable the user to determine the accuracy and even learn how to tweak and calibrate the software all he or she wants, for as long as he or she wants with no commitment towards buying anything from me. Try doing that with L2K which has the core function (e.g. lightning detection) completely disabled in their demo. Extremely mystifying if you ask me, what could there be to hide with such a superior piece of software?

Lastly, neither L2K, nor for that matter NexStorm, can determine flashes with any kind of certainty by analyzing LD-250 data. Unlike the StormTracker PCI card the LD-250 does not provide access to raw signal data which makes it impossible to analyze signal waveforms. Such an analysis is essential for genuine determination of flash events. The only (partial) way around this limitation is to use a pseudo-analysis based on statistics, e.g. classifying multiple strokes as a flash if they occured within N milliseconds in a certain direction. There is simply no other way of doing it with the LD-250. I've been using this very technique, initially named Negative return stroke detection, in NexStorm since 2004. It is documented in public discussions on our old, now defunct (but still available online) support forum, and also in the V1.22 readme file issued on 20 Nov, 2004.

As for the remaining L2K advertisment junk, I won't claim to know exactly what the "nearby flash technology" means but given the overall description it sounds suspiciously like something that utilizes the natural noises produced by thunderstorms to improve ranging of individual strokes/flashes. If true then it is neither a particularly new feature nor a "revolutionary advance" in anything other than feature copying. It might have been revolutionary back in 2004 though, when it was first added as an experimental feature in NexStorm and called Noise assisted ranging.

-Relko

Offline meteolarissa

« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2010, 11:53:05 AM »
Relko this is a new serius and helpful post....Thank you give me more infos about nexstorm....and pci or ld250 boltek detector....
I will check some detector sites with nextorm and l2000 to be sure about close activity accurancy....
In Greece all use nexstorm and only 1 l2000....I think Greece have many mountains or i dnt now what and i see more accurate the l2000 vs nexstorm in close activity....
The more far the more accurate the nextorm....
Anyway its good i get infos from the <master> and not advertisements etc....,I m thinking too about some of these you writing about so its better look little more before decide...

The only thing i dnt like is that anyone have different opinion than the other , do advertisement..If i use both softwares and decide which is the better i will hide it and stay mute ????
I think we have freedom to say our opinion more even is advertisement.. or anything other....I checked my detectors here in Greece and l2000 is better in close activity....maybe not good calibartion, maybe other reason but this is my result...Im not doing advertisement of course cuz i dnt care do it...Im a future buyer only who try get helpful infos..

Have a nice day Relko and thank you for fast and clear words... =D&gt; =D&gt;
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 12:10:50 PM by meteolarissa »

blackjack52

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2010, 04:14:56 PM »
Wo. Seems a nerve was struck. When do we resort to such harsh words as "characters" and stating other software is "crap". Relko, in the US, and many other countries, it's called an opinion and freedom to express it.

I used your software for 2 yrs in tandem w/ L2K. I stopped using Nexstorm because close ranging was not as accurate. I don't have to post proof. It's called, "I tried it and didn't like it." So what.

I think bonus points should go to Racenet?

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2010, 04:40:11 PM »
Wo. Seems a nerve was struck. When do we resort to such harsh words as "characters" and stating other software is "crap". Relko, in the US, and many other countries, it's called an opinion and freedom to express it.

I used your software for 2 yrs in tandem w/ L2K. I stopped using Nexstorm because close ranging was not as accurate. I don't have to post proof. It's called, "I tried it and didn't like it." So what.

Excuse me????????????????????????????????????

blackjack52

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2010, 04:46:15 PM »
Just 1 example.

blackjack52

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2010, 04:48:26 PM »

Just asking a question.

blackjack52

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2010, 04:54:14 PM »
Just 1 example.

That was w/ an LD-250, not pci like in your pics.

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2010, 04:59:25 PM »

Just asking a question.

No, you are just being an asshat.  :roll:

Offline relko

• Astrogenic Systems
    • Astrogenic Systems
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2010, 06:57:59 AM »
Dear Lee,

Thanks for the lecture on US (and many other countries). Whatever your opinions or preferences are, it's all fine with me. This is also exactly what I stated in my previous post. If you re-read it, and please try to do it more carefully this time so you can avoid the embarrassement of ascribing to me opinions I have never expressed, you'll also find that nowhere did I call L2K crap. I don't consider L2K crap and I really have no reason or basis to call it crap.

What by definition is crap, however, is your generalizations on the accuracy of L2K vs. NexStorm. Falling into this category is also your copying of product advertising text straight from Aninoquisi's web site (which in itself may or may not be crap depending on your understanding of what the text says). If you're so concerned about your opinions then perhaps you should try expressing them using your own words next time.

Here's another fine example of what I was reacting to: "I have both. Ranging is superior. Especially close (<100mi) range.". This is not an opinion, it is a clear-cut generalization. Ask yourself how you would have reacted if someone were to write something like this about NexStorm.

blackjack52

« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2010, 10:26:29 AM »
Oh dear me. I think yours was the lecture. Again, just opinions, from using both, that L2K is more accurate.
 I used the "copied" text from Mark's site because it was easier to show Larissa what was asked; posting the link would've been no diff and would have elicited the same childish response; oooh I'm such a "character". I appologize for not using higher standard of explanations for what was asked by Larissa.

If your really threatened by my opinion, that I'm pushing L2K over Nexstorm, I can't help you. Again, I used both, and determined L2K to be more accurate. I don't have to post a detailed analysis of my findings.

You have your forum though!

blackjack52

« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2010, 10:57:59 AM »

Just asking a question.

What...what is an asshat? Just curious, aren't you overstepping your boundaries as a system admin? And member? You know, name calling.

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2010, 12:01:46 PM »

Just asking a question.

What...what is an asshat? Just curious, aren't you overstepping your boundaries as a system admin? And member? You know, name calling.

Just my opinion.

blackjack52

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2010, 12:23:23 PM »
That's not an opinion. Oh, I get it. A moderator is above the forum rules.

OK. Now that I know how this place operates.

How does one delete membership?

Offline relko

• Astrogenic Systems
    • Astrogenic Systems
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2010, 12:43:20 PM »
Nice straw man arguments, Lee.

Again, just opinions, from using both, that L2K is more accurate.

And again, perfectly fine but that is not how you initially presented your "opinion" here, is it?

I appologize for not using higher standard of explanations for what was asked by Larissa.

So, basically what you are saying you didn't have the required knowledge to formulate an appropriate response? That would explain the copy-pasting and also why 80% of the copied text has no relevance whatsoever to the question being asked. A link would not have provoked a response, not from me at least.

Listen, I really couldn't care less about your opinions and such. But I'm not going to tolerate you or anyone spreading desinformation about my software, simple as that.

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2010, 01:05:11 PM »
Before this gets any deeper, I'm locking the topic. Enough has been said. Sorry guys.

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

anything