Author Topic: Need help with new Vantage Pro2 install  (Read 1637 times)

Offline easytim

Need help with new Vantage Pro2 install
« on: August 03, 2012, 01:49:01 PM »
Thanks to the input of you people and help here on this forum I bought the Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2 Weather Station 6152 Pro2.

I going to be building a new home, I never even opened the box it came in yet.  What will I need to hook the weather station up?

I want to power it and not rely on a battery, I will also need some kind of tripod.  I also want to put it up on the roof of the house at the peak.

If you were doing a fresh install, please tell me how and what you would use.  THANK YOU

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Need help with new Vantage Pro2 install
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 11:55:56 PM »
The tripod works very well from what I have seen but putting it up on the roof will cause temperature measurement problems due to heating of the roof. Some split the anemometer from the ISS and put it up on the roof and mount the ISS with rain bucket on a post over a grassy area. This makes maintenance of the ISS and rainbucket easier. The cable to the anemometer is long enough to reach in some cases. You said you didn't want to run the ISS on battery but I am not sure if you are aware that it really doesn't. During sunlight hours the ISS runs off the solar panel while a Super Capacitor charges up. The Super Cap maintains the station overnight and up to several cloudy days (I am sure many will correct me on that). When the Super Cap becomes depleted because there is not enough sun to charge it (extreme overcast over a low sun winter) the Lithium battery takes over. Some have reported that when their Super Caps have gone bad (older stations) the battery has lasted up to 8 months. So the station doesn't run on batteries, it is a solar based station with battery backup. You can run it on a DC power supply however be aware that you will be providing a more direct path for lightning into your house. My "druthers" are to mount the anemometer up on the roof or an area with as less wind shading from trees and structures and mount the main ISS with rain bucket over a grassy area on a post. There are many pics here from others showing how they have mounted their stations. Use the search box at the upper right to hunt these down...or go to the weather stations pic thread located here..... http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=88.0