Author Topic: Starting Up  (Read 2748 times)

Offline j2b3

Starting Up
« on: July 11, 2012, 01:51:12 PM »
I have been interested in the weather ever since I was a tiny kid, and I spend a whole lot of time everyday on weather underground, so I would like to start up my own station, however I have gotten myself into a little dilemma as to what station I should buy.

I was originally looking at just buying the Davis Vantage Vue for around $300, however then I saw the necessary addition of a data-logger, which costs around $150, for uploading to weather underground (which is what I would like to do). I have read around about how good the Vantage Vue is, and so I would love it, but I was wondering if there is another station that is up to par with the Vue and can be directly hooked up to Weather Underground. I may not jump onto the purchase for awhile so I have plenty of time to think. I would like all the basic measurements that the Vue has: temp, humidity, rainfall, wind, pressure. I just want a good station that I can hook up to Weather Underground, and if I can find an alternative to spending an extra $150, that will be fine.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:54:00 PM by j2b3 »

Offline gtstricky

• Kennett Weather
Re: Starting Up
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 02:12:06 PM »
Look in the Davis section and there is someone that sells data loggers for about $80 (belfryboy). http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=13574.msg150444#msg150444

I have one and it works great.

One thing you might want to do is look at the different software options out there and see which one you like. Some work with diffrent stations. Weather Display works with a wide range but Cumulus works with only a few.

Welcome and Cheers

Offline j2b3

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 05:09:15 PM »
An $80 alternative seems nice as long as the Vue is worth it. I have seen a lot of other brands of weather stations for a lot less, however I keep looking at the Vue because of its amazing recommendations.

As far as the software goes, I went onto the Cumulus site and found this:

"Cumulus works with the Davis Vantage Pro and Vantage Pro2 weather stations (and the new Vantage Vue)"

I am guessing that means it would be fine to use to upload data? I have read around that it is a good piece of software, and I just want to make sure it would run well when uploading to the internet, and if it really is up to par with Weather Display and Virtual Weather Station.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 05:11:14 PM by j2b3 »

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 08:37:18 PM »
I am guessing that means it would be fine to use to upload data? I have read around that it is a good piece of software, and I just want to make sure it would run well when uploading to the internet, and if it really is up to par with Weather Display and Virtual Weather Station.

I replaced VWS with Cumulus as my primary weather software in May,2010 and haven't had any significant issues.  Very easy to use/configure.  8-)

Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 08:41:46 PM »
I have a Weatherwise 1080 and bought it for about $125, no additional accessories or anything else. Then I downloaded the Cumulus software which is mentioned above (And a whole forum is on here dedicated to it 8-)). The Cumulus Software directly enables you to hook right up to Weather Underground,  so no muss no fuss!  :-)
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline ctccbc

• Senior Contributor
  • Acurite 01035, Weather Display
    • Chris Collins Morehead City, NC Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 10:37:38 PM »
I've been quite pleased with my Acurite 01035. I used an Oregon Scientific WMR100N for 5 years and it gave me great service as well, but the barometer data became bad and the dewpoints would be well off. I got one of the new Acurite units last fall and have been very happy with its performance. I use it with the Weather Display software (only software that supports it). No complaints here and the price of the Acurite units are in the $150 range.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 11:19:57 PM »
As far as the software goes, I went onto the Cumulus site and found this:

"Cumulus works with the Davis Vantage Pro and Vantage Pro2 weather stations (and the new Vantage Vue)"

I am guessing that means it would be fine to use to upload data?
Yes, Cumulus will definitely work on all Davis VP and Vue stations and it is as simple as filling in a few fields in Cumulus for setup after you have registered with WU to begin uploading.  The same simple method for CWOP, PWS Weather, and others.

In considering the Davis and other stations, you generally get what you pay for and there are many happy and satisfied users of all of them.  But I would dare to say that there are more upgrades/replacements from other brands to Davis than from Davis to other brands.  Perhaps that would be an interesting poll!

Paul

Offline j2b3

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 11:00:05 AM »
OK, well then it seems like the Vantage Vue for around $280 and the data logger for around $80 would work out fine along with cumulus without breaking the bank. Thanks for the help. Not sure when I will pull the trigger but I know what my shopping list is now. Thanks a lot for the help! I'll post an update when I have the system up. :grin:

anything