Author Topic: Sferics projects !  (Read 3549 times)

sferics

Sferics projects !
« on: December 25, 2015, 07:53:21 PM »
Hi,

<snip>
</snip>
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 02:54:44 PM by sferics »

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Sferics projects !
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 08:12:20 PM »
I know you said you won't answer any questions (which seems a bit odd to me, but ok), so just take this as an opinion and no answer is expected.

Reading your post, on one hand it seems quite a good idea, but then I think to myself - why do you think it is better to use already existing HW, get people who are knowledgeable and try to create something that already more or less exists. Would it not be better to try to improve on what is already existing and have ideally one project/community, with as many members as possible?
This is always better, you have more people to work on it and especially if you are talking about lightning detector networks, having more people means more accurate data and the more people join the better. So it seems a bit counter productive to set up a new network. And from your post I also dont see any unique feature or added value.

Take this only as my personal opinion.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 09:46:11 PM »
All very good points, Jachym.  Why reinvent the wheel?

I would be curious if this project is brand new OR based on an existing project that is being reversed engineered (Blitzortung) or being attempted to.  I find it interesting that this project has been around for about 2 years, which coincides with the release of the Blitz Red system in the Spring/Summer of 2013.. This sounds like to me an attempt to undercut the good people over at Blitzortung of over a decade of their continuing work with their project. I base this assumption on the fact that you mention the Green system, which tells me you are/were a participating member of Blitzortung and have been attempting both reverse engineering the microcode, the server calls, and the design of the boards, of which the last time I looked at my System Red boards, they have a copyright on them (just checked and they do), which is illegal.

If I am incorrect on my assumptions, I will issue an apology on this board, but I do not think I am.

Respectfully,

John Sacrey
Benton, AR, USA
System Red owner, station #1387
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 03:41:22 AM »
Lol,  I guess he's not gonna be very happy about the replies he got here  :-)

Especially given he only asked those who are interested to react

On the other hand,  if you want someone to join your project,  it is rather probable that people will have questions,  therefore saying I will not answer any is.... Well at least suspicious and maybe a sign that there is something I don't want to share and try to hide.

I seriously doubt you will find 10 people interested in financing this and so we could say who cares,  but it pisses me off that I also suspect like John that this is just a ripoff of someone else's work. And unless you provide evidence we are wrong, this is what most people will believe.... But I guess you won't provide any evidence given you won't answer any questions... Hmmm

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 05:10:41 AM »
My 2 €urocents, without taking any opinion to the OP post...

I don't understand the negative attitude expically from Cutty. With the populariness of BO (and probably also that there have not been new boards available for some time now) and lack of any "new stuff" from Boltek-supporting softwares (not to forget its crappiness in accuray when used as single detector) is it just a question of time before it pops up an another lightning-system. 

Re "re-using" Green boards, here is the weakness of this kind of system where HW are built and programmed by user, its not moon-sientic to re-programm it to send the data to another server(s) than BO servers...

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 06:13:02 AM »
Just wonder who is naive here... But Cutty have probably not heard about competition, whats usually are a good thing...

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 10:24:53 AM »
The problem with your post is that you refuse to give answers, yet include no information in your post.
Sorry, but your last post is just garbage, if I summarized that, I would end up with "I will not answer any questions, we will start the project anyway, current HW is crap, ours is better"

OK nice, but do you not think it would be relatively important to say WHY yours is better? What the added value is? Rather than just saying "it is"... then I guess you will still be accused from ripping of current SW and HW developers and if this is the sort of attitude you have towards people than I doubt you will find anyone wanting to co-operate with you or if they do, will soon want to leave - and that applies not to just this forum.

If you don't want to discuss anything then you must give clear description and not just some vague suspicious, not very polite, comments.

"So just keep on trolling !" - so who is arrogant and trolling?

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 11:20:25 AM »
Arrogance?  an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions
So I'm / we are / arrogant.  What do you label someone who asks for contacts cold, reveals zero details, ...

BT Green cannot gather or send the necessary stroke data for complex analysis,...which is why it is a dead end,. If you intend to build a 'noise' detector network, based on obsolete hardware you might as well use an AM radio...which also has public 'schematics' available.  Green can detect a stroke and time-stamp it very efficiently, but so can a cat's whisker with a GPS plug in. And phasing out Green for the Blitzortung network is the only way to go... the data is "Bad" by definition as we move toward 2020. there's a whopping big difference in, for example, a 15lm deviation and a 1.5 km deviation... and that's just for starters... but, dang it, Green is still valuable, and viable... it's capabilities are just exceeded by today's standards.  Why anyone today would start a 'new network' with obsolete hardware is simply beyond this fool's ability to comprehend.

...but then, I know little, and my opinion and experience ain't even a rotten persimmon... it's green and bitter enough to pucker a person for a month,.,.  the wheel has been invented already.  More serious minded researchers who think they can out do what Blitzxortung has in mind need to check out, for example, http://www.lrsatx.com/Schumann_TOA_.htm .  again, just for 'research.

Unless your 'team' has already hacked Egon's current and projected proprietary algorithms for current and future analysis they have a hard road ahead... the so called team has 50 or 60 years of previous math etc to cull and come up with stuff that's already been done... .

But then... I saw a flash, and heard a thunder this morning... without any hardware. ...and simple math and observation told me it was about 2km away..... 

Arrogant?  Yeah.  ... why not? 
What's going on here "Sferics"... you're being told to "put up" or "Shut Up"...

Based on his previous comments and grammar I don't think he is gonna get the meaning of your post anyway  :grin:

But  =D&gt;

I especially had to laugh at this part:
the so called team has 50 or 60 years of previous math
:grin:

Oh... and sferics.. I appologize in advance, I know I am the biggest troll, I just can't help it ;)

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 11:45:23 AM »
I feel sorry for you you know...

the way you put it I understand it like you are not really part of this "all-star team", but rather their spokesman and from what you have presented here, it seems like you were given instructions similar to these:

"Don't tell them anything about it and if they ask, tell them in advance you are not going to answer any questions."

In such case I agree it is not easy to be a spokesman trying to get their point across :D

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 12:06:33 PM »
AHA! Since my previous posts are no longer necessary and totally redundant to what follows.

Gotcha!
We've punched through your cover.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 03:24:30 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 12:21:54 PM »
 :grin:

Maybe he will come back in 60 yrs when he and his allstar team creates the required algorithms :)

sferics

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 12:51:26 PM »

For Jachym, you get the credit for mangling this thread and ofcourse allways be the perfect thread stopper..  =D&gt;
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 05:04:30 PM by sferics »

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 12:53:08 PM »
Thank you, I really appreciate your praise and credit :-) No need for the applause, but thank you  :lol:

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 08:36:51 AM »
I am assuming from the looks of this a lot of posts have been deleted. If not, I am not sure the purpose of this thread.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 08:42:21 AM »
Yes,
the author of this thread, the spokesman for this allstar team of developers, has apparently deleted his posts....

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 09:04:52 AM »
Well, every circus has to have its clowns I suppose.

Thanks for the information.