Author Topic: Weatherlink users, willing to upload to GLOBE?  (Read 4771 times)

Offline hazardc

Re: Weatherlink users, willing to upload to GLOBE?
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2019, 03:22:56 PM »
That's actually interesting because Davis doesn't list globe as supported by wl live

This is why I have started using wifilogger pretty much exclusively for GLOBE.  No more reliance on Davis if they don't remedy it, but I will b calling soon either way since I'm sending in 2 vp2 units for refurbishing.

Actually it does show up on the Live site for globe.  Works with IP and not with the new toy.

Wifilogger?   do tell.  does it also send soil moisture data as I have a station .

Not yet.  Just getting the firmwaee out in the wild.  It only sends what WL does right now.  We probably will end up enabling all the globe protocols in future but need to get the foundation solid first.  I know both myself and Mr wifilogger work in agriculture as well, so things are a bit frantic at the moment
University of Toledo
GLOBE/GISAG Lab

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2019, 04:35:46 PM »
The problem is that if I send it using the IP logger to the Weatherlink.com site  it goes through and I get daily reports.  However, if I send data to the same location using the Weatherlink [Live, presumably] nothing...

Probably worth an enquiry to wl.com support - I'm guessing that it should be working and might be a bug. Each of the five upload device types** seems to be configured at least slightly differently at wl.com and it's entirely possible that the GLOBE upload for WLL has a glitch somewhere.

1. Local Weatherlink software
2. IP logger
3. WLL
4. Connect
5. EM
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 04:37:25 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2019, 05:46:45 PM »
The problem is that if I send it using the IP logger to the Weatherlink.com site  it goes through and I get daily reports.  However, if I send data to the same location using the Weatherlink [Live, presumably] nothing...

Probably worth an enquiry to wl.com support - I'm guessing that it should be working and might be a bug. Each of the five upload device types** seems to be configured at least slightly differently at wl.com and it's entirely possible that the GLOBE upload for WLL has a glitch somewhere.

1. Local Weatherlink software
2. IP logger
3. WLL
4. Connect
5. EM

The WiFiLogger isn't one of those 5 types. The WiFiLogger can upload to Weatherlink.com I believe. Am I right? If so, why is that?
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2019, 06:15:36 PM »
Globe function has been added back to the weather display software (untested )

Would this globe function potentially work with all if the supported stations and not just Davis?
yes

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2019, 03:57:30 AM »
The WiFiLogger isn't one of those 5 types. The WiFiLogger can upload to Weatherlink.com I believe. Am I right? If so, why is that?

OK, I was listing the five upload device types that wl.com currently recognises. WFL effectively emulates either the IP logger or local WL software depending on the DID - I suspect the way that these two are handled is actually quite similar, but IIRC the middle 4 bytes of the DID define which is which.

So WFL is not itself one of primary station types (that would be rather unlikely for a third-party logger  :grin:) ) but emulates one of the five.

At least, that's how I rationalise it all!
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline hazardc

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2019, 04:08:08 AM »

Would this globe function potentially work with all if the supported stations and not just Davis?
yes

That's great to hear. I'm trying to get a couple CR-3000 campbell loggers back online that have been laying around in the field for a few years.

This could really be useful with all of the schools with ambient weather stations... weatherbug...

I will have to send out some emails and try to find some globe schools with these stations and set up some time to come try to  set up a site and test compatibility.  this could be an immensely useful thing for GLOBE. 

GLOBE is a great product, but has a lot of catching up to do in getting stations online. It's never really been intuitive for an average user, especially if any diagnostic work is needed.

WifiLogger is going to really help with Davisstations. because a bunch of schools bought them without any type of logger at all.

WxSTEM takes control of weatherlink.com accounts for the schools that buy into their program, so this software would be helpful for those schools who all run weatherlinkIP with WxSTEM so there's no need to touch their equipment and for schools with different branded stations.

I'd like to eventually get to supporting all of the email protocols through automation, davis skips over a few things that could be really useful.

Hope the meteobridge globe development keeps going well, i'd love to test that as well. I work with some of the top decision makers for GLOBE funding so I'd really like to keep helping to get the project moving more quickly in the right direction.

WFL, MB, and WD together could really really really help GLOBE in immense ways!

University of Toledo
GLOBE/GISAG Lab

Offline hazardc

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2019, 04:11:51 AM »

yes

That's great to hear. I'm trying to get a couple CR-3000 campbell loggers back online that have been laying around in the field for a few years.

This could really be useful with all of the schools with ambient weather stations... weatherbug...

I will have to send out some emails and try to find some globe schools with these stations and set up some time to come try to  set up a site and test compatibility.  this could be an immensely useful thing for GLOBE. 

GLOBE is a great product, but has a lot of catching up to do in getting stations online. It's never really been intuitive for an average user, especially if any diagnostic work is needed.

WifiLogger is going to really help with Davisstations. because a bunch of schools bought them without any type of logger at all.

WxSTEM takes control of weatherlink.com accounts for the schools that buy into their program, so this software would be helpful for those schools who all run weatherlinkIP with WxSTEM so there's no need to touch their equipment and for schools with different branded stations.

I'd like to eventually get to supporting all of the email protocols through automation, davis skips over a few things that could be really useful.

Hope the meteobridge globe development keeps going well, i'd love to test that as well. I work with some of the top decision makers for GLOBE funding so I'd really like to keep helping to get the project moving more quickly in the right direction.

WFL, MB, and WD together could really really really help GLOBE in immense ways!

WFL doesn't work with GLOBE through WL.COM, but it DOES have NATIVE support in the WFL interface, but I don't think this version has been pushed to a public release yet. Any GLOBE teachers with wifiloggers I will send it to and would be grateful for the help. They're solid! 
University of Toledo
GLOBE/GISAG Lab

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2019, 11:48:13 AM »
I am going to send data via the IP logger to Globe until Davis gets it sorted out.   For us MAC users, the software options are limited,  We do have Weatherdisplay and Weathercat, weathersnoop but that is it.  For me the best option is to use ther WL.com  live .   

The IP logger you mention isn't for the mac users. PC... sure

Offline hazardc

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2019, 01:53:22 PM »
Would you mind testing out weatherdisplay GLOBE?

If WD will send globe data from any station, it would open up a ton more options and would open the door to getting my Campbell Stuf onto globe.       I'm working on flux tower today and have a lot on my schedule next five days plus I need to get fice more stations onto globe with wifilogger this week. 
University of Toledo
GLOBE/GISAG Lab

Offline hazardc

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2019, 01:56:37 PM »
Wifilogger can be configured from anything with a web browser, if that's what you were referring to.  You just need the globe compatible firmware update if you already have a wifilogger
University of Toledo
GLOBE/GISAG Lab

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2019, 02:08:36 PM »

TP-Link Meteobridge's set up with an automatic email upload should help with the ambient weather stations at least.

Offline hazardc

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2019, 04:16:22 PM »
Yeah.  I'm trying to attack the globe station thing from three vectors.

Wifilogger for Davis
Meteobridge
Weatherdisplay
(WD should also work with ambient/globe now but I have no way to test at the moment ... Everything I have here is a vp2  and it'll be a week or three before I get to the cr-3000 Campbell stuff

I think wd seems to have the most opportunity to put stations online that aren't Davis stations if we can get enough people with globe credentials to test it.   
University of Toledo
GLOBE/GISAG Lab

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2019, 04:21:23 PM »
So what's the issue with GLOBE forwarding from weatherlink.com? Is it not working for some reason? I understand that some/many Davis users may not be uploading to wl.com and may need other mechanisms but I'm just curious specifically about why wl.com is not working when it probably should be.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline hazardc

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2019, 04:26:57 PM »
Some of it is user error, not formatting sites correctly

Some of it is the loggers.    For instance, the wifilogger ( the one on here everyone loves, for good reason!) Will send info to wl.co. but wifilogger + wl.com = globe was getting lost somewhere in the mix

The remedy was to just make wifilogger support globe natively in the wifilogger interface .   This is way better for globe schools because it's considerably cheaper, it's on wifi, and it takes the Davis proxy out of the equation.  Also, people obviously love rapid fire to WU at no additional cost
University of Toledo
GLOBE/GISAG Lab

Offline hazardc

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2019, 04:29:27 PM »
You should only be sending globe an email every 24 hours with the 15 minute interval records in a single email.  If people start hammering the email server like that it's gonna cause problems in long run
University of Toledo
GLOBE/GISAG Lab

Offline hazardc

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2019, 04:31:20 PM »
BTW I  do use a WLIP in my office and it does globe fine through wl.com. Make sure firmware for logger is up to date
University of Toledo
GLOBE/GISAG Lab

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2019, 04:39:55 PM »
For instance, the wifilogger ( the one on here everyone loves, for good reason!) Will send info to wl.co. but wifilogger + wl.com = globe was getting lost somewhere in the mix

Have to say that sounds odd to me. I would take a look next week, but I thought that GLOBE was only for schools and non-education users were discouraged?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2019, 07:32:28 PM »
GLOBE originally was for schools. But now they have developed the program to allow anyone, that they then call a "Citizen Scientist" to participate. The problem is that in order to do that you have to go through an extensive eTraining Program (or attend a seminar) to get educated and trained on what they call "Protocol." There are 4 categories to get trained on. Most applicable here for weather station use would be the Atmosphere training category. You only need to complete one of these 4 categories. The other 3 categories are Biosphere, Hydrosphere, and Pedosphere. But the Atmostphere category alone is several hours. There are like 9 module sections to go through for the Atmosphere category. The other categories have even more modules and more tests, so Atmosphere luckily seems the smallest. I haven't gone through the whole program yet but I looked into it. You have to complete the module sections and then pass a test for each. I think you need an 80% passing score. I think it would probably take a full day to get through it if you can stomach it or spread it across a few days and dedicate an hour at a time to the 9 different module sections. I don't know what happens if you just attempt a test without going through the training. I'm tempted to just try and do that and see how I score but I don't know what happens if you don't pass and then what the process would be to retake. Worst case would be something like you fail the eTraining and then have to attend a seminar. You will not be allowed to upload data until you complete the training.

I suppose if you enter in as part of an organization or a school then you don't have to do the training. But then you need to be invited by that organization or school.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 08:08:34 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2019, 04:10:29 AM »
The problem is that in order to do that you have to go through an extensive eTraining Program (or attend a seminar) to get educated and trained on what they call "Protocol."

OK, thanks. But I am tempted to wonder why bother? It's not as if the world is short of online weather station networks - there are probably too many already. What unique features does GLOBE bring to the party that makes it worth expending time on what sounds like a high entry bar?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2019, 08:21:37 AM »
The problem is that in order to do that you have to go through an extensive eTraining Program (or attend a seminar) to get educated and trained on what they call "Protocol."

OK, thanks. But I am tempted to wonder why bother? It's not as if the world is short of online weather station networks - there are probably too many already. What unique features does GLOBE bring to the party that makes it worth expending time on what sounds like a high entry bar?

Quite simply because it isn't just a weather system. It is a climate system. It encompasses 3 other categories than weather (Atmosphere) that deal with plants, and animals and insects, oceans and lakes and rivers, and soil, rock, erosion and it ties them all together. It has data acquisition and analysis tools designed for education of students and for use by NASA and NOAA and other scientists in many countries. It was designed to be a global database for use by over 100 countries and works in different languages. It is also to promote the interest in science by not just studying it but by doing science and feeling like part of it.

Bottom line is you are helping the planet in many ways as it is more than just a weather system.

It does make me wonder though why not just ingest MADIS data. But I think the answer is because they want people (students and teachers and scientists) to be part of their own system not some other data coming from elsewhere.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 08:30:56 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2019, 08:40:45 AM »
Quite simply because it isn't just a weather system.

OK, thanks again; and fair enough.

But then if they do want contributors of weather data from a wider community then why not have a separate and simpler type of log-in simply called eg 'data contributor' and with limited access to other features of the program (whatever they might be). It does all sound like needing a review.

And actually IME the typical weather hobbyist is more clued up about weather and climate science than the average school teacher, so perhaps the log-in requirements should be reversed :-) . But, more seriously, what seems to happen at too many schools and colleges is that some new weather/climate initiative is started by an enthusiastic and reasonably knowledgeable teacher, but who then moves on to another post elsewhere and the weather station is either abandoned or left to languish under the supervision of another teacher with less interest and insight into how to maintain the station & use the data.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 08:49:01 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Weatherlink Live
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2019, 10:09:02 AM »
I am pretty sure that although the online website for Weatherlink Live is up and running, it isn't going to send data to Globe.gov.    If you want it to happen there are two viable options.  Use the IP logger and it will work, or wait.

i have played with this for a month and I am leaving my IP logger online to automatically send that data.  Sadly it will only send atmospheric data  and the soil moisture won't go.  What is worse is if you have, like me a mac, and can't use the manual data setting that the PC version of Weatherlink has.   there you can get a txt that can be sent manually to globe.gov that has the atmospheric and soil moisture readings.  But the mac, nada.

A while back Brian H. with Weatherdisplay for the PC (before i jumped ship) had a routine that the program would send automatically to Globe both items.  Since his code was getting long and not many actually used it, he removed it after I agreed.    He probably has it stored somewhere and might be able to add it to his current program.   I unfortunately have the mac version so I don't know what is what.

I have asked Weathercat to add that only to be growled at  and after it isn't worth it to me to grumble.

Now Globe.gov provides research data to scientists and to real good teachers who find a value in world wide data.  I took the training and it lasts about 45 minutes in person and I am not sure if it has an online version,   I have been sending data since 1993.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
Re: Weatherlink Live
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2019, 11:28:24 AM »
I am pretty sure that although the online website for Weatherlink Live is up and running, it isn't going to send data to Globe.gov.

Why do you keep saying this though? GLOBE is on the list of upload targets for a WLL account and allows you to enter all the necessary parameters. Are you saying that you've tried this specific option and it doesn't work for some reason?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2019, 12:48:34 PM »

I took and passed all of the Atmosphere tests and I really enjoyed the PowerPoints they showed. Took a couple hours to read through it all, but I do feel that I learned a lot from it. I'd say that free knowledge alone is worth the time it takes to get through it.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2019, 01:40:26 PM »
Well, yes, I'm all in favour of learning and self-improvement, but there's also got to be some cost-benefit checking. Not sure how many will feel it's worthwhile just to be able to submit their data to Yet Another Weather Network (YAWN™).
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK