Author Topic: A few questions before I pull the trigger  (Read 1973 times)

Offline Dommer

A few questions before I pull the trigger
« on: January 21, 2013, 03:52:25 PM »
Hi All,

I've been reading these forums for the past few weeks and am pretty close to purchasing an Acurite system.  Connectivity options along with Rhino's presence on the forums are the major factors.

Just had a few last questions before making a purchase.  One of my main requirements is to be able to upload to the web 24/7 without the need of a dedicated PC, but would also like to be able to connect to a PC (wired is fine) when it's running.  I see that the 1050C/1055 packageb has a smaller console, and from what I can tell, it does not connect to a computer.  Would I be better off getting the 1035 that has the USB connection and then getting the Accu-Link bridge separately.  This would also give a larger (and better?) display, and would run me $240 rather than $200 for the 1050C/1055.  Would I only be able to capture all data for historical purposes if I have the USB connected to a 24x7 PC or is there some other way to get this information after the fact (i.e., like Davis data logger or from the web where the Accu-link is posting)?

Just curious, does the fact that the wind update get updated once every 18 seconds bother anyone?

Also, other than purchasing directly from the Acurite site, are there any other recommended sites that may have it discounted?  

Thanks in advance for any answers/opionions to the above!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 05:18:47 PM by Dommer »

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: A few questions before I pull the trigger
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 08:17:18 PM »
Just curious, does the fact that the wind update get updated once every 18 seconds bother anyone?

Not any more than if I had spent $4,000 on a WeatherHawk system and found ou that it only updates every 10 seconds:

http://ambientweather.wikispaces.com/Weather+Station+Comparison+Guide

The above table made AcuRite's 18-second updates look impressively fast at the price point last year, but apparently La Crosse has added a new line of stations in the same vicinity with a 4.5 second update interval.

My $0.02 is that my 5-in-1 has been running with the same Duracell alkaline batteries for 13 months now, and the current outdoor temperature is 11 F and falling like a brick as I type this.  If the battery life was extended to over a year by only sending updates every 18 seconds versus every 4.5 seconds, I'm extremely happy with 18 second updates if it keeps me from having to don arctic survival gear and climb a ladder to change batteries tonight.....  :grin:
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline BuckeyeGuy

Re: A few questions before I pull the trigger
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 10:17:37 AM »
I did exactly what you were asking about after reading this post. The included display with the 1050/1055 looked kinda weak, so I went with the 1525, bought all the pieces separately, and spent the extra $40. I'm waiting on it to get here as I type. Thanks for passing on the idea!
Ray D
O-H!
Go Bucks!

anything