Author Topic: VP2 WeatherLink IP - remote server  (Read 420 times)

Offline apdmc6008

VP2 WeatherLink IP - remote server
« on: May 30, 2018, 01:57:59 PM »
Greetings all -

I'm moving, however the owner of the house is allowing me to keep the VP2 on the roof, along with the remote wireless console & datalogger at the house so I can use it to populate my website. I use WeatherDisplay to acquire and feed the data to a webserver running Nginx. In any event - looking for ideas/validation on keeping the bare minimum at the house - I can drop a server or PC there if need be, but I'd prefer to just KIS. I am open to ideas, but here's what I've thought of this far:

I'd like to simply just make the raw data available on a public IP:port, and point WD to that, however if the public IP of the location changes, then I am dead in the water. What I have done in the past for websites I run on dynamic IP connections is run a cron job that periodically checks the public IP and compares it to an AWS DNS record, and then changes it as needed - I can likely run that on an Raspberry Pi of some sort.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: VP2 WeatherLink IP - remote server
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 03:42:23 PM »
Meteobridge might be an option.  Plus it'll do the SQL push for you - although I am not sure how WD would read the remote DB.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
Re: VP2 WeatherLink IP - remote server
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 03:51:13 PM »
If you could find a way to run a client for DynDNS or No-Ip, they already have services for you.  My Tomoto Shibby router has a client built in for my No-IP name.  Then you can use DNS to connect to it.  You'll still need a port open through the firewall too.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

anything