Author Topic: 5 Day forecast  (Read 3448 times)

Offline dsscheibe

• Scott's Weather Station Cactus Wren, Phoenix, AZ
5 Day forecast
« on: May 28, 2009, 02:05:34 AM »
Anyone else having trouble with the 5 day temperature forecast being off by several degrees from the local weather?    Lately my website forecasts have been well below what the TV stations have been forecasting for Phoenix and  what it actually is.  Today it was Weatherunderground had it forecasting 94 (was that at 11 am..)  and the TV stations forecast 98, I recorded 101 today.
Scott
Davis Pro2 Plus daytime aspirated, wired
Weather Display

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Re: 5 Day forecast
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 08:13:32 AM »
So its wunderground that seems off?  Your vws page and wunderground should be sync at least.   It looks like they are different currently. 

The phoenix wu page does not list a source for the forecast, but it appears different than NWS page.   The WU page in Markham (where I live) list some Canadian govt agency as the source, surprisingly not Environment Canada, however the forecast match currently.  I dont think they always did.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline dsscheibe

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 05:34:28 PM »
Anyone else having trouble with the 5 day temperature forecast being off by several degrees from the local weather?    Lately my website forecasts have been well below what the TV stations have been forecasting for Phoenix and  what it actually is.  Today it was Weatherunderground had it forecasting 94 (was that at 11 am..)  and the TV stations forecast 98, I recorded 101 today.

I figured it out, some how the zip code for the location for the weather underground 5 day forecast got changed to some unknown place..  I changed it back to my zip code and it seems to be a lot more reasonable now..
Scott
Weather Display

Offline offroadjosh

• Davis Vp2 Wireless- VWS 14 P90 Serial Data logger
  • Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 08:27:32 PM »
is it really 114 there right now o.o??

Josh
Josh Patten

Davis VP2 Wireless -May 2008
VWS 14.00P90\WL 5.9.9/Plus others!
Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
Smith Valley Fire Dept Firefighter:)
http://josh.northwestwx.com/station/usa.htm
CWOP-DW0711
Kestrel 2000 hand held anemometer
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline dsscheibe

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 10:27:59 PM »
is it really 114 there right now o.o??
Josh

It was this afternoon, it hit 115.1 at 3:20 PM for the high, which is the record high this year for my station.  We were are under a "Excessive Heat Warning" all week end.  Yestereday it was 114 something, which was the previous record this year.  Unoffically 115 tied the record at sky harbor in Phoenix set in 2005.  The airport is about 10-15 miles SE of me, a bit lower in alitutude and near the salt river (usually mostly dry) so they never read quite the same as I do, usually a couple degrees lower.

The forecast all next week is 110 or higher.  Weather underground showed a new station on the map a couple miles away I'd not seen before today that was showing 2 degrees higher than I was.  Currently at 7:15 it has dropped to 109, is falling at 2 degrees an hour, the wind is picking up, averaging about 7 MPH gusting to 19 MPH from WSW.  Mesa Gateway Airport which is 40-50 miles east south east of me reported a sand storm on its METAR at 5:52 though now it is showing mostly clear.

"Warning Message:An excessive heat warning remains in effect until 8 PM MST /8 PM PDT/
Monday.
Strong high pressure centered over northern Texas will drift westward
over the next few days...while continuing to produce excessive heat
across the area. Overnight temperatures will offer little
relief...only bottoming around 90 degrees at Sky Harbor Airport.
Afternoon high temperatures Monday are again expected to reach 110 to
114 degrees across the lower deserts...including Yuma and the greater
Phoenix area."
Scott
Weather Display

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 10:50:25 PM »
Wow...that heat is brutal! :shock:
But, is it true when they say "it's dry heat"?
Sorry for this sounding anecdotal, but if the dew point were in the 70's with that temp, ouch!  #-o
 8-)

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline dsscheibe

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 12:24:50 AM »
Wow...that heat is brutal! :shock:
But, is it true when they say "it's dry heat"?
Sorry for this sounding anecdotal, but if the dew point were in the 70's with that temp, ouch!  #-o
 8-)

Henry

We are used to it,  It's 103 now at 9 PM and the dew point is 53, it normally is 30-40.  The dryer it is the faster the temperature goes up / changes.  It doesn't get as hot when we have more moisture, we usually don't go over 105 or 108 when it is more humid.  Problem is when it's dry it hard to get any rain going, we get verga, it evaporates before it hits the ground.   I couldn't live in a humid place.  Dry heat means you sweat and it evaporates before you notice it.  It can really dehydrate you really fast.  Last month we had the coolest June in 32 years or something like that and now we are having close to record temperatures.  That's the weather it changes all the time.

I've been looking for a t-shirt I saw once, a skeleton in a lawn lounger next to a table with an empty glass covered with dust.  It says underneath "but its a dry heat"

Apparently it is cashing my icon and not pulling it from my site when it shows it. 
Scott
Weather Display

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 12:29:07 AM »
Dehydration = Danger :shock:

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73