Author Topic: Any Substitutions to WD  (Read 15200 times)

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
Re: Any Substitutions to WD
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2016, 05:05:22 PM »
The Linux version of WD is super buggy.... I might not have any option sense I need it to run on my PI...
Lots of people are running Cumulus MX on Pi's - me included on an original Model B. It is very stable and has a very small footprint.

Awesome!
Thanks, Ill try this now.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2016, 04:02:06 PM »
The Linux version of WD is super buggy.... I might not have any option sense I need it to run on my PI...
Lots of people are running Cumulus MX on Pi's - me included on an original Model B. It is very stable and has a very small footprint.

Thank you so much for this recommendation.
I couldn't be happier!
Support is amazing and is actively develop.
1000x more stable than WD, Though I do have to say that there is a few bugs here and there but they are been worked out.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2016, 04:27:04 PM »

I couldn't be happier!
1000x more stable than WD, Though I do have to say that there is a few bugs here and there but they are been worked out.

You must really hate WD don't you...

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2016, 04:39:10 PM »

I couldn't be happier!

Hu? What?
What made you say that? I am not the one bashing WD on this thread.
I never said I hate WD!!! You must be mistaking me with Bushman.
I use WD (On windows) and WDL. I do not like the WD Linux version because is way to buggy is all. Something wrong with that?

----

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2016, 04:48:53 PM »
OK sorry, I was just referring to for example this:

"1000x more stable than WD"

I think you are overexaggarating, but yes you are right, there are others who probably hate it even more :D

I myself don't use any software, but I try to be unbiased. I mentioned this in this thread previously - each software is good for some and not for others and you can't really say one of them is the best.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2016, 05:03:29 PM »
OK sorry, I was just referring to for example this:

"1000x more stable than WD"

I think you are overexaggarating, but yes you are right, there are others who probably hate it even more :D

I myself don't use any software, but I try to be unbiased. I mentioned this in this thread previously - each software is good for some and not for others and you can't really say one of them is the best.

;)

I agree to some extend. I do have to point out that you should try them to be able to formulate your own opinion instead of jumping the gun on threads like this.
I spin a windows vm for testing purposes of this windows apps.

So far WD is awesome under windows.... Not so much on Linux. It needs heavy attention. Lon/Lat Map not working, Defaulting settings when closed, etc...
This is positive feedback for the developer.

----

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2016, 05:05:27 PM »
OK I agree,

just want to add however, that by "not using them" I meant I don't have my station connected to it, however I do have them all installed and work with them while developing and testing, so I know them quite well.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2016, 05:23:57 PM »
OK I agree,

just want to add however, that by "not using them" I meant I don't have my station connected to it, however I do have them all installed and work with them while developing and testing, so I know them quite well.

Got it. :D

----

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2016, 07:06:46 PM »

I couldn't be happier!

Hu? What?
I use WD (On windows) and WDL. I do not like the WD Linux version because is way to buggy is all. Something wrong with that?
*I* never said I hate it - just that I have a fully licensed  copy I do not use.  Draw your own conclusion....
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2016, 07:10:11 PM »

I couldn't be happier!

Hu? What?
*I* never said I hate it - just that I have a fully licensed  copy I do not use.  Draw your own conclusion....

I am not going to derail this whole thread but you have to own it. You said more than that... Maybe not directly but your expression tells a story... There is 2 pages worth of your expression of dislike about WD.

----

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2016, 07:12:48 PM »
I don't want to dig into this any further, but I have to agree with xcom. Read the posts on the previous pages.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #111 on: January 05, 2016, 09:21:54 PM »
*I* put up two pages of complaints??  Proof or withdraw.  I used WD for years; never cared for it.  For many reasons.  So I'm stuck with a license of yet another piece of  software.  You guys on commission or something????
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #112 on: January 05, 2016, 09:22:37 PM »
I don't want to dig into this any further, but I have to agree with xcom. Read the posts on the previous pages.

Maybe I should try Meteotemplate...

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #113 on: January 05, 2016, 09:27:08 PM »
You guys on commission or something????

What a joke. I leave this with that.

----

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2016, 03:45:05 AM »
Quote from: Bushman 7link=topic=28219.msg274667#msg274667 date=1452046914
*I* put up two pages of complaints??  Proof or withdraw.  I used WD for years; never cared for it.  For many reasons.  So I'm stuck with a license of yet another piece of  software.  You guys on commission or something????
With all due respect, if you've used WD for years you must like it to some extent otherwise might you have  abandoned it a long time ago? Or maybe you aren't too sure if switching to another program would really be a step up from WD?

I guess I'm really not understanding.

I can testify that having tried other software I wound up sticking to WD for many reasons and I'll touch on some of them.

First, for 70$ is a lifetime subscription on any computer and upgrades.

This includes all the functionality that WD provides.

Brian goes out of his way to support the program when users have questions and suggestions, and he listens. Sometimes I have to wonder if he ever sleeps.

You take what WD does and the dedication Brian puts into WD and for 70$ unconditional lifetime membership, you bet some of us WD users get a bit territorial about this.

I respect your opinion if you don't like it. But take it for what it is.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:49:58 AM by Skywatch »
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2016, 12:08:05 PM »
"Liking" something and "using" something are two diffent things.  If I am using a product passively, I will use it if I really "like" it or not because its just "there."

"Liking" something is also relative.  If something I really do like is discovered, than the similar thing that I had previously will be liked less, or disliked.  If there is a big enough difference - for example I learn that the "new" thing does what I want the old thing to do all along, but with much less hassle than what I endured with the "old" thing - I might discover that I hated the old thing. 

How's that for disecting verbiage?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 12:09:36 PM by gfmucci »

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2016, 06:07:41 PM »
That's not the point.

If you don't like something, at least in this case there's nothing stopping you from moving on and trying something else. There's nobody holding you or Bushman at gunpoint forcing you to use WD.

Perhaps Bushman is upset because he can't get a refund? But then again WD like VWS has a 30 day trial.

I don't understand the obligation is? Nobody is forcing anyone to use one program or another and most certainly nobody is under "commission" as Bushman puts it. Of course us WD users can just as easily say VWS are under commission.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

anything